• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discarding 1:1 previews does not reduce size of preview folder

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently discarded all 1:1 previews through the Lightroom menu. However, the size of the preview folder in the explorer has not changed. I have restarted Lightroom as well as the computer without any effects. 

I know I could just delete the whole folder manually, but I rather not want to discard the standard previews. 

Lightroom Classic 11.2

Windows 10 Pro 21H1 (OS build 19043.1526)

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to fix this issue.  

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom only builds a 1:1 preview if you zoom into the image 100%. By default it also discards 1:1 previews after one month. So most likely you did not have that many 1:1 previews to make a real difference in size.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the 1:1 previews are discarded IMMEDIATELY when you use the menu to discard them.  It used to take weeks to eventually remove them.  Maybe that is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This action isn't instantaneous. You should maybe let LR run overnight, but eventually, the previews will be discarded if requested.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LR will only discard a 1:1 preview if its width is 2 or more times the width of your standard-sized previews; otherwise, LR keeps the 1:1 preview to use as the standard-sized preview.

So if your 1:1 previews are 4096 pixels, and your standard-sized previews are 2560, discarding the 1:1 previews will have no effect (since 4096 < 2 * 2560).

It's been a while since I've seen this come up:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/discarding-1-1-previews-doesnt-shrink-lightroom-cat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines