• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does my version of Lightroom support HEIC and if so, how do I get it to work?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've Googled and read tutorials, hints, tips, articles, searched the Adobe Support Community, and scoureed everythign I can find ... but I'm just flat out confused (possibly because of all the different Lightroom names.) I can't figure out if I have the version of Lightroom that's supposed to see/import/work with HEIC images or no. Here's all the specs: 

I'm on a Mac, macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6, late 2012. My version of Lightroom is "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4" (Version 4.4, Camera Raw 7.4). I typically manually offload my images from my phone to my hard drive and then up to a large storage drive. Then I have LR add images to the catalog without moving them. 

From what I've read, I think I understand that HEIC images should be supported but not the HEVC videos.

However, I just cannot get LR to import any HEIC. It doesn't see them or know they exist as far as I can tell. 

If someone could just clarify fo me whether this version of Lightroom should be handling HEIC or not, that'd be wonderful. If you can also point me in the right direction re: getting it to work, you'd be a superhero.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Support for HEIF file-type was added to subscription versions of Lightroom August 2018:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-cc-2018-08/

HEIF in Lightroom v4 Perpetual- no luck! Far too old a version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for HEIF file-type was added to subscription versions of Lightroom August 2018:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-cc-2018-08/

HEIF in Lightroom v4 Perpetual- no luck! Far too old a version.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert your HEIF files to DNG. That may allow you to work with them on LR4 but as @Rob_Cullen  you are working on a really old version of LR. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/best-heif-heic-to-jpg-wor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @DS256 . I might just do that in the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Sounds like I'd just better plan on a new version of Lightroom when I upgrade my Mac, hopefully later this year. I appreciate the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI. A new Mac will certainly come with Monterey OS- That will require a subscription to the Photography Plan 20GB (NOT the Lightroom Plan).

Lightroom-CLASSIC v11.1 is the current 'latest' version of your Lightroom v4, and only available in the Photography Plan.

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to know, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines