Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

edited photos disappear from their collection

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. 🙂

I have a standard practice of creating Collection Sets for the current month, and then a Collection for each day's photos that correspond to the folder on my pc that the photos are being imported from. I first flag the photos I plan to edit, then edit copies of them with various Topaz products. The final version is what I export back to my pc. I noticed a while ago that if I left a collection, either to work in a different one or after a restart, that my edited photos were no longer in that collection. I used to 'stack with original', but then unchecked that box to see if that resolved the issue. It didn't. I can see the edited versions in All Photographs, complete with the flags, but I don't understand why they're no longer in their collections. And, it goes without saying that I *want* them in the same place they came from. Super frustrated, so thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Laura

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of several things that might cause this

1. The sort order moves the edited photo to a different location in the collection; it's there but its just not where you expect it to be
  2. You are using Smart Collections and the criteria of the smart collections causes the photo to be removed from the smart collection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use smart collections, so definitely not that. And if I sort by flagged status, it should find them regardless of where they are in the collection. It doesn't, however. It only shows the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I have also noticed that if I go to a missing pic in All Photographs, right click and try to "view in collection" it will say it's not in a collection. I do sync all changes and back up the catalog once a week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to add a couple of example photos. I took and edited IMG_7504.cr3 yesterday. 1 star = original photo, 2 stars = after the first edit, 3 stars = is final edit. Just my way to easily find things that may not make sense to anyone else. 🙂  As you can see, all photos are also flagged. This morning, I came back to edit more photos and discovered that my 2 edited versions of the photo have again disappeared out of the collection. I'm not able to add them back to the collection either. This is really unworkable and if anyone can help me figure out if there's a setting I have wrong, that would be awesome. I went back to 'stack with original' but it didn't help. I can't recall exactly when I first noticed this behavior, but it's been months. Perhaps something that happened with an update, I don't know. But, having to go search through All Photographs in the library isn't a solution. example 1.jpgexample 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two screenshots don't show much, except that your edited tiffs are stacked. I assume that these screenshots were taken in 'All Photographs' and that would explain what's going on. If these photos are stacked in 'All Photographs', then that means you sent them to the plugin from within 'All Photographs', not from within the 8.1.22 RMNP collection. And that explains why these tiffs are not in that collection. They will only be added to that collection if you send them to the plugin from within the collection.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have them stacked via preferences, and I only ever edit anything from within a collection.When this first started happening, I actually tried un-checking the 'stack with original' option, but it had no effect.

From the develop module, this is where I do my editing.

example 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have them stacked via preferences, then they will only get stacked in the source when you send them to a plugin. So if you send them to the plugin from within the 8.1.22 RMNP collection, then they will only get stacked in that collection on return. They will not get stacked in 'All Photographs' and not get stacked in their folder. Your screenshot shows that they are stacked in 'All Photographs' however, so unless you did that manually this suggests you remember this wrongly and you were not in the collection when you sent them to the plugin. Which would also explain why they are not in that collection. I'm sorry, but I cannot come to any other conclusion.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I'm telling you that I *only* edit anything from within a collection, because I only ever work on one collection at a time. Therefore, that tells me there's a bug or something somewhere because it did work the way you're describing up until maybe 6 months ago or so. I've not changed my process at all in that time. When I am in the collection, I can see my edits stacked next to the original. But, once I leave that collection, that's when they disappear. It's not even all of them. Some stay where they should, and some don't, even when I do them in the same editing session.I'm really frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine with me. File a bug report. Record a screen video to show you are correct, because otherwise I'm pretty sure you'll get the exact same answer that I gave you.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do appreciate you trying to help. Truly. But given the fact that I've had the same workflow for 1.5 yrs and it's only been "broken" for part of that time, I'm just not seeing how it's suddenly something I'm doing wrong. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@m00nbeamer wrote:

I do appreciate you trying to help. Truly. But given the fact that I've had the same workflow for 1.5 yrs and it's only been "broken" for part of that time, I'm just not seeing how it's suddenly something I'm doing wrong. 😞

Humans make mistakes, and I assumed you are human. The point is that there are not one, but two things that suggest you simply made a mistake. If you only saw the images disappear from the collection, then I could believe that you had found some rare bug, even though I exclusively work in collections myself and cannot reproduce that bug. But then there's the stacks. Like I said, if you send an image to Photoshop or a plugin from within a collection, and you have checked the option in the preferences to stack the result and the original, then these images will only be stacked in that collection. Stacks are not global, they do not propagate to other places, like 'All Photographs'. Your screenshot shows that the images are stacked in 'All Photographs' however. So that would be the second rare bug that I cannot reproduce, and that is just one rare bug too many for me to believe. I'm pretty sure that will apply to Adobe engineers too if you would file this as a bug, but if you could demonstrate it in a screen recording video, then things would obviously be completely different.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised something. If you can still reproduce this, then the explanation maybe in the plugin, litterally. Plugins can add their results to newly created collections, so I guess that plugins can also remove results from existing collections (and stack the results in another collection). When I said that I could not reproduce what you said, I meant I can't reproduce it when I use Photoshop or a plugin that is installed on my system. I do not use any Topaz plugins however, so if Topaz introduced a bug in their plugins that causes this behavior, then that would explain why you see this and I don't.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it's definitely possible that I *thought* I was in a collection and wasn't, though I'm not sure how. And I say that only from the standpoint of I'm in the newly created collection when I import, so it stands to reason that I'm still in it when I switch to develop and start working with them. However, the couple shots I edited yesterday are still where they're supposed to be so I guess I'll have to keep watching. The potential for a Topaz bug is a good thought, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines