• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edited photos not showing in Lightroom Library

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2022 Oct 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed Lightroom Classic onto a new Imac. I have imported some photos into Lightroom, made some edits and opened the photo in Photoshop. I saved the file as a JPEG in its' original folder. I know it is there because I can view it in Finder. When I go back to my Lightroom Library, the new copy of the edited photo is not there, just the original photo.

It has always been there in Lightroom Library on my previous computer. Is there a box I need to tick or somethin to get Lightroom to automatically add these photos to my Library? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the sort order of this folder in LrC is not correct. Try View->Sort->Capture Time or View->Sort->File Name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new file will only show up automatically in Lightroom if you opened it by doing a edit in Photoshop from Lightroom. It will not show up if you opened from finder and saved it somewhere. Lightroom Classic is not a file browser. It will only show files in its left panel that have been explicitly imported. So it is normal for not all images to be visible in Lightroom Classic that you can see in Finder. If you see this, you can right (or control) click on the folder in Classic and choose "synchronize folder". It will import any images that it doesn't know about yet. Better to just do the "edit in Photoshop" from Classic so it will know to automatically impot the image back to Classic when you save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new file will only show up automatically in Lightroom if you opened it by doing a edit in Photoshop from Lightroom. It will not show up if you opened from finder and saved it somewhere. Lightroom Classic is not a file browser. It will only show files in its left panel that have been explicitly imported. So it is normal for not all images to be visible in Lightroom Classic that you can see in Finder. If you see this, you can right (or control) click on the folder in Classic and choose "synchronize folder". It will import any images that it doesn't know about yet. Better to just do the "edit in Photoshop" from Classic so it will know to automatically impot the image back to Classic when you save it.

By @Jao vdL

I do the edit in Photoshop from Lightroom by using Command and E. Your suggestion of choosing "synchronize folder" worked perfectly. Is there a way to get Lightroom to automatically synchronize?

Thanks for your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you edit a photo in Photoshop by using the 'Edit in Photoshop' menu, then you must save the photo by using 'Save', not 'Save as'. You say you saved it as a jpeg, which means you must have used 'Save as', because jpeg is not an option for Photoshop in the external editor preferences, only TIFF and PSD are.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always used "Save As" and never "Save" and then selected the jpeg option. I've done thousands of photos this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mugsandb wrote:

I've always used "Save As" and never "Save" and then selected the jpeg option. I've done thousands of photos this way.

I know that this used to work, but that was more or less a bug. So I am not surprised if it doesn't work anymore in the latest updates.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. If you want to save as jpeg, then use the following work around. Add Photoshop as the secondary editor too. Lightroom will tell you it's already the first editor, but it will let you do it. And the secondary editor does allow jpeg as an option, so you can use 'save' and still get a jpeg.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga wrote:

P.S. If you want to save as jpeg, then use the following work around. Add Photoshop as the secondary editor too. Lightroom will tell you it's already the first editor, but it will let you do it. And the secondary editor does allow jpeg as an option, so you can use 'save' and still get a jpeg.

How do I add it as a secondary editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines