• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Files returned after Edit in Photoshop have "Develop Adjustments" badge and QD Panel at "Custom"

Participant ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this issue in previous versions of Lightroom (or Photoshop, if it's a Photoshop problem), but whenever I open an image (jpg, psd, tiff) from Lightroom into Photoshop and do some editing there, when I get back to Lightroom the [+/-] icon appear on the image ("Photo has development adjustments") and on the Quick develop panel, next to "Saved preset", appears "Custom".

As I said, I have never seen this behaviour before.

Thank you for your consideration.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thread moved to Lightroom Classic 'Bugs' forum

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Develop settings badges on your images are set under the View menu in the Library module – you can toggle this on/off and customize which badges and view you want. Check out this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-library-view-options.html

Your Quick Develop preset will change to Custom whether you make edits in Ps or in LrC's develop module as designed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cmgap Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my question.

My issue is not with the badge (on the contrary, I really appreciate the fact that I can visualize which pictures have been edited within LR), but with the fact that even PS edits are considered LR's "development" adjustments, which honestly are not.

Unfortunately it's impossible to keep the most two recent versions of LR on the same machine, so I'm unable to test, but I am ready to bet that in previous LR versions, PS edits left untouched (i.e. no development badge attached) the photos. For example, in version 4 (pre-CC) which I have installed on another machine, no badge is being attached.

And honestly I don't consider this new design a better thing, because PS edits are not LR edits and should be kept as two different things.

I think the current design it's wrong and confusing: while the Quick Develop preset changes to "Custom" and the badge tells you that "Photo has development adjustments", in the development panels you don't (because you can't) see any changes. So why showing that badge??

Thank you very much again for your consideration, I hope I clarified my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - thank you for clarifying. If I understand correctly your point is that editing outside of LrC, presets shouldn't be affected. Your points are well taken – I wonder though if as the apps that share the underlying editing engine (Lr, LrC, Ps, Bridge and Camera Raw) are becoming more unified if that still makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LrC 11.0.1 installed on one of my test systems and the behaviour you describe occurs on that system. To check whether the issue occurred prior to 11.0.1, I reverted to 11.0 then10.4 and rechecked in each. The issue you describe also occurred in LrC 11.0 but not in LrC10.4. So, it would seem that it is new to 11.x. I've moved the thread to the Bug section of the forum for further review

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is LR actually changing the develop settings of the image returned from Photoshop, or is the problem that LR is incorrectly thinking the image has adjustments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I answered my own question -- no settings are getting added, and it's a bug with how LR determines there have been adjustments.  Using the Show Catalog Metadata plugin, I captured all the develop settings of a TIFF that had been returned from PS, did Quick Develop > Reset All, and then captured the develop settings again.  The only difference is in the edit count and last-edit time:

$ diff before.txt after.txt 
92c92
<     editCount = 1, 
---
>     editCount = 2, 
106c106
<     lastEditTime = 662063134.42663, 
---
>     lastEditTime = 662063235.46118, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thank you all three for your kind consideration, I really appreciate your taking the time to investigate this issue.

@cmgapyes, I think that when editing outside of LrC, presets shouldn't be affected. I loved being able to discern edits done just in LrC at first sight (thanks to the badge).

@Ian Lyonsthank you so much for testing this isssue back to version 10, glad to know you confirmed my suspicion! I kept using version 11 while thinking I had messed something around with my settings/preferences and hoping to replicate the behaviour I had up until version 10 by changing import settings and so on..

@johnrellisthank you for confirming this, it seems indeed that LR is incorrectly thinking the image has adjustments (when is not).

I hope this is going to be fixed because being able to discern images in the catalog (being it by labels, ratings, keywords or badges) is really of paramount importance while working withing LrC.

Thank you again all for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I updated to the latest version (11.4) but even after six months the issue is still present...

Votes

Translate

Translate