Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing raw in lightroom

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I shoot only raw images and I've faced a problem when editing them in Lightroom. My lightroom changes the form from raw to jpeg at the import phase. I'd like them to stay in raw form while editing and then I would export them as jpeg. How do I do that? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Lightroom Classic forum from Photoshop ecosystem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, LrC doesn't even has the option to do that. It can only convert to DNG during import.

Are you shooting RAW and JPG and are importing both? You can set preferences to treat them as separate or single image.

Please share some more details on your process as well as the exact version of LrC you are using and your OS and version.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your answer! 

I don't actually use Lightroom classic, I use the other Lightroom (not sure what it's called). I tried importing to Lightroom Classic after your reply and there I can import images as raw and it doesn't change them to jpeg before editing! So I quess I'll switch back to Lightroom Classic 🙂 Don't know if raw editing is even possible in the other lightroom without it changing the form to jpeg when importing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to switch. The "other" Lightroom that you are using does not convert RAW to JPG either. SOmething else is wrong here. Maybe your camera is set to shoot both JPG and RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As dj already stated, none of the Lightroom application does convert to jpg upon import. They even don't have the option to since it does not make sense for an application that main target is to develop raw photos.

Again, tell us more about your gear, how you are shooting and describe what you're doing in more details.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I did some more digging and actually found my problem! When I choose those photos I want to edit I copy them to different folder on my pc and it turns out in that process my pc for some reason changes the format to jpeg. Maybe it's because I'm making a copy out of the original image by doing that?  When I import straight from the folder I originally uploaded the images to my pc - then images stays at raw form when importing to lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I choose those photos I want to edit I copy them to different folder on my pc and it turns out in that process my pc for some reason changes the format to jpeg.

No. Computers do not change RAW to JPG when you copy files to a different folder.

As suggested earlier, please check your camera to find out if you are shooting photos in both RAW and JPG format. We can't make progress without knowing that piece of information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked my camera and I'm only shooting in RAW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks. At this time, I have no explanation for what you are seeing, other than RAW do not change to JPG in either Lightroom or Lightroom Classic or in your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some cameras that cannot be set to shoot a Raw image without also silently saving a JPG alongside. These cameras may e.g. refer to this JPG partner, whenever you review a photo in the camera. At import to Lightroom you may see the resulting thumbnail's file type reported as "Raw+JPG". This reflects that both the Raw and the accompanying JPG from the camera have been imported. But when this happens, the JPG is not used and it is the Raw that you are in fact editing from

One quick way to verify you are "really" working from a Raw: look at the White Balance Temperature scale in the Develop module, Basic panel. This scale will show absolute WB temperatures in Kelvin, for example "5500".

When you are working from any non-Raw kind of file, this scale changes to show just an arbitrary 'warmer' or 'cooler' relative WB adjustment: -100 up to +100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow thanks, didn't knew that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Veera K. wrote:

Hi!

I shoot only raw images and I've faced a problem when editing them in Lightroom. My lightroom changes the form from raw to jpeg at the import phase. I'd like them to stay in raw form while editing and then I would export them as jpeg. How do I do that? 

You use MacOS. Do you use Apple Photos to import the images from the camera to the computer? If so, then that is the problem. By default Apple Photos hides the raw files inside its library, where Lightroom can't access them. As a result, Lightroom does not import your original photos but jpeg previews made by Apple Photos.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Eos Utility to upload photos to my mac with wifi connection. (for some reason the "normal" uploading with usb wire doesn't work with my camera) Photos will appear to my desktop where I sometimes add those to my Apple photos and they still show there as RAWs. But if I copy them from apple photos back to desktop, then the file changes from raw to jpeg. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Veera K. wrote:

I use Eos Utility to upload photos to my mac with wifi connection. (for some reason the "normal" uploading with usb wire doesn't work with my camera) Photos will appear to my desktop where I sometimes add those to my Apple photos and they still show there as RAWs. But if I copy them from apple photos back to desktop, then the file changes from raw to jpeg. 

Like others have already said, files do not change from raw to jpeg. There isn't an application in the world that can do that. Sounds like you do not copy them from Apple Photos, but export them as jpeg. Or you use drag and drop and actually drag and drop the jpeg preview, like I suggested. If the raw file is in Apple Photos, then you must use 'Export Unmodified Original' if I remember the menu correctly (typing this on my iPad).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually use drag and drop, so like you said that must be my problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Veera K. wrote:

I actually use drag and drop, so like you said that must be my problem! 

Yes, that's it. I would advise you to keep Apple Photos out of your workflow completely if possible.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, as to not being able to copy the photos to your computer without using a utility. That is why you can you not use Finder to do this??

What is your camera or smart phone?

What is the storage media? SD card, other?

Is the storage media removable?

What sort if port is on the camera/phone? USB? What specification? USB 2, 3?

What USB cable are you using? Is it data capable or just charge capable?

Point is to look at the photos using Finder without using EOS utility, LrC., Apple Photos, etc. Are they RAW. When using Finder to copy (that is copy, not move, not convert, not etc) do they remain as RAW.

By the way from best to worst, copy/import methods are:

• Remove card from camera, place in reader, quickest
  • Do not remove card, attach camera to computer via USB, slower, not horrendous, some assume removing card has risks, so they go this route.
  • Do not remove card,  connect via WiFi, copy over WiFi. Slow, try doing a few hundred that way, painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My camera is canon eos 5d mark IV and my computer is macbook pro (2020). The cable is the one which came with the camera. I have to use adapter to get it connected with my mac, beucause my mac has usb-c and the cable has the "old usb". I've already tried to find solution for this by contacting to apple & canon support. They couldn't say what is the problem and succested to use wifi transfer. I find it very frustrating because it takes so long and takes so much battery from my camera. You're so right, it is painful. I can see my camera in finder so some kind of connection does work but I can't see any of the images that I have in my camera so I can't upload them to computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would question if that adapter is ligit.

Two solutions. A proper cable with correct ends. But better yet a proper card reader.

Oh, and check your MAC's Security and Privacy settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to edit raw photos without problems from the android or iphone? I want to do it with <spam link removed> to optimize my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@playgoapk24477132fm1e wrote:

Is it possible to edit raw photos without problems from the android or iphone? I want to do it with <spam link removed> to optimize my work.

If you connect your iPhone (turned on and unlocked) to your computer, then Lightroom sees it as a memory card. iPhones do not have a separate card, so a card reader cannot be used. Even easier is installing Lightroom mobile on the phone, and shoot with the built-in camera app of Lightroom mobile. Shoot in DNG. If you sync your Lightroom Classic catalog, then these photos will be automatically imported into Lightroom Classic. Edits also sync, so you can start editing on the phone already.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines