• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
Advocate ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>On restarting LR4 the performance issue had gone. Since I had changed

>nothing on the computer during the seconds between LR shutting down and

>restarting it, simple logic says the problem was within the LR realm.

>Examining my computer would therefore be pointless.

So you know what was wrong on your computer - your catalog was corrupt! LR

can cure some catalog problems on its own, but not all. In your case it did

cure it! No need for further investigation.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Hi Steve,

A lot of people (not employees), using very different computers, do pre-release testing for Adobe, and if any of the serious problems had showed up on their computers, Adobe would have fixed it before release. Some of these testers, most, are professional photographers who also know what's what.

The fact that the point curve adjustment bug made it into a release version lets me doubt that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No kidding...its' not as if Adobe is working in a vacuum and the ONLY consideration is the performance of the software at any cost! lol...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freemind42 wrote:

The fact that the point curve adjustment bug made it into a release version lets me doubt that...

Bugs get through all but the most mission-critical software testing (and sometimes there too) - it's unreasonable and naive to expect any software to be completely bug free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keith,

Nobody said that the software should be bug free...that's unrealistic and not what was said.

We've been saying that bugs that are this widespread and severe shouldn't get through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freemind42 wrote:

To be fair, nobody outside Adobe could have seen that coming because the LR4 beta did not allow the conversion/import of LR3 catalogs (which was perhaps the real problem - nobody was able to test the conversion).

P.S. I don't want to downplay the performance problems (this and other threads are proof that plenty of users have them), just wanted to comment on this specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that the point curve adjustment bug made it into a release

version lets me doubt that...

Simply means most people don't use curves these days. I haven't used curves

since I started using LR about 6 yrs ago.

As soon as it was reported in the public beta, it was cured by Adobe. That's

what public betas are for - to discover the less common problems that didn't

show up in prerelease testing.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

As soon as it [the point curve adjustment bug] was reported in the public beta, it was cured by Adobe.

See my post above: That bug is a slightly bad example because it is a little bit special and not comparable to the performance problems and other bugs: It was first noticed in the 4.0 final, and could not be seen in the beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't have put it better myself Anthony, spot on mate

There is nothing more I can add that hasn't already been said in the masses of threads in this discussion, however i would just like to chip in my own support. Copy & paste from my message @ photoshop.com below, hopefully Adobe start to listen soon, but alas the silence from Adobe is deafening

I find myself here after hours and hours of trolling the various websites and applying every hint, tip and advice on how to speed up LR4, ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Switching from library mode to develop takes for ever, I mean at least 30 - 45 secs before I can even hope to get Crop Overlay on. when I eventually get control and make the necessary adjustments, WOW!!! moving along to the next image takes an age AGAIN!!!!

I cant work this way as part of my workflow, it is more like a workGLUE!!!

For goodness sake Adobe, get this sorted.

In the meantime checking out Corel Aftershot pro

Lightroom version: 4.1 [829322]

Operating system: Windows 7 Business Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Physical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.9 GHz x8

Built-in memory: 12279.1 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 12279.1 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1265.3 MB (10.3%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1297.3 MB

Memory cache size: 1167.8 MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1680x1050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2012 Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith, what is YOUR purpose here?  Seriously, I would like to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more!  I just finished processing a wedding and it was like running in water. What was instantaneous in LR 3 now gives the spinning wheel of death! Screen redraws take for ever...... Simple adjustments are a constant waiting game. All this on a Mac Pro 3.33 hex core with 24 gigs of ram AND an SSD!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bach 59 wrote:

I could not agree more!  I just finished processing a wedding and it was like running in water. What was instantaneous in LR 3 now gives the spinning wheel of death! Screen redraws take for ever...... Simple adjustments are a constant waiting game. All this on a Mac Pro 3.33 hex core with 24 gigs of ram AND an SSD!!!!!!!!!

Yet my 'Frost Special' with a hex core processor, 16GB ram, and SSDs runs LR4.1 just fine!!! Very speedy. So whatever the problem is, it only affects some computers. Have you tried running 4.1 on a clean OSX installation?

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

So whatever the problem is, it only affects some computers.

I wonder how many more times we'll need to say that before people start paying attention, Bob?

Personally I'm about at the point of giving up, and going back to my fast, stable, reliable Lr 4 install and getting some more work done...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I'm about at the point of giving up, and going back to my

fast, stable, reliable Lr 4 install and getting some more work done...

?? Do you mean LR3?

Bob Frost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeat: Again, most of the people in this forum are working professionals that have experience with computers and have done all they can to optimize their respective systems.  My SSD failed three weeks ago so the OS is a new install. I had zero issues with LR 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Bach 59 wrote:

Yet my 'Frost Special' with a hex core processor, 16GB ram, and SSDs runs LR4.1 just fine!!! Very speedy. So whatever the problem is, it only affects some computers. Have you tried running 4.1 on a clean OSX installation?

Bob Frost

Bob, common among working pros is to have a catalog for each shoot as to avoid corruption issues. Having 65,000 images in one catalog is very risky. But to my point, it isn't a catalog issue, it is a slow down during devolpe mode and I will have the 500 images open all at once. If I process them in smaller batches, say 50-80 images maybe the issue would lessened.  I'll have to try it..... but why should I have to?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bach59,

Are you using Autosync on 500 images at at time? That'd be slow as the metadata has to write for each file every time you make a change. Copy and paste settings, or even normal sync after a series of changes would be way more efficient.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seán McCormack wrote:

Bach59,

Are you using Autosync on 500 images at at time? That'd be slow as the metadata has to write for each file every time you make a change. Copy and paste settings, or even normal sync after a series of changes would be way more efficient.

No I am not, I copy and paste, too many changes to use auto sync, and that hasn't changed from LR 3. I do write to xmp, again no different from LR 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, common among working pros is to have a catalog for each shoot as to

avoid corruption issues. Having 65,000 images in one catalog is very

risky. But to my point, it isn't a catalog issue, it is a slow down during

devolpe mode and I will have the 500 images open all at once. If I process

them in smaller batches, say 50-80 images maybe the issue would lessened.

I'll have to try it..... but why should I have to?!

LR is designed to use large catalogs - no problem, just back them up

occasionally or frequently depending on your nervousness. Lots of small

catalogs prevent searching and collections to collate stuff - one of LRs

great features.

LR doesn't 'open' files, so not sure what you mean here.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SavagePhoto wrote:

SOLUTION - at least for me (this is a repost from my other post - sharing with whomever I can)

start "lightroom" /high /affinity 15 "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\lightroom.exe"

It runs Lightroom at high priority and on core 0,2,4 on my 8 core system. Seems lightroom doesnt like to run hyperthreaded (if thats the right term" . Granted this still seems more sluggish than LR 3X but since I like and use the new features in 4x it will just have to do.

tried your advice. Did not help for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom 4 is very slow. The last update helped a little but it's still not acceptable. I have a very strong system and run Lightroom 4 etc. on an SSD. This program should not be slow, but it still is unacceptably slow in the develop module. I can't work as I used to and I really need Lightroom for work. I hope you fix this Adobe because this was the best program for photography out there. Not too sure anymore. Now I understand why LR4 is cheaper than LR3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that the update helped basic functions move along almost tolerably, but things such as exporting batches of files and creating web galleries takes forever - way longer than with version 3. I can't just go back to it though as my new camera, the Nikon D4, won't work with LR3. I still can't get it to tether with LR4 and the Nikon D4...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to chime in on this problem with LR4 slow and totally unresponsive when editing in Photoshop CS6. I have been using LR since version 1 and now I am reverting to my version 3 because 4 will not allow me to edit in CS6. I have jumped through all of the hoops, such as, uninstall, delete preferences, etc. Changed the settings in my edit preferences and to no avail. I updated to 4.1 and still I get the spinning beach ball as it processes and CS6 is not responding when I have to force quite CS6. I was very happy when LR4 upgrade was available and it worked fine when I first upgraded. Beautiful program and the new upgrade has killed it. Is there any way to download version 4.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, most of the people in this forum are working professionals that have experience with computers and have done all they can to optimize their respective systems. If you don't think that we have all tried a restart.... really?

With a catalgue of 4-5 hundred images open all at once this is the slowest, most unproductive program out there. Culling and tagging are LIGHTING fast in Photo Mechanic!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a catalogue of 4-5 hundred images open all at once this is the

slowest, most unproductive program out there. Culling and tagging are

LIGHTING fast in Photo Mechanic!

I have 65,000 images in my catalog without any problems currently. The only

lag is going into Develop for the first time the program is used. Culling

and tagging in Library is fast. Some other people have 500,000 to 800,000

images in their catalog.

They may have 'optimized' their systems, but still haven't found what is

causing the problem. The 'restart' mentioned by someone, is simply part of

LR's curing an improper shutdown. If LR is cut off before it has closed down

properly, by a OS or other program crash, then some temp files may still be

present which have to be removed by a restart.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines