• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

external ssd no longer recognized by Apple

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any issues with Lightroom disabling an external hard drive so that Apple can no longer read it?  If so, is there a fix?

I have a 6 mo old Sandisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD. I use LR Classic on an 2 yr old Macbook Air M2 chip on Sonoma 14.5.

A few days ago all was fine - I had used maybe 20% of the capacity. Now when I attach the SSD, Apple tells me it's not readable. When I initialize it, the device name has changed back to the default SanDisk name, and the drive's 1T capacity is completely full but I can't see any folders or files. First Aid didn't pick up anything unusual.

I've tried different plugs and ports, shut down/restarted the laptop, and nothing has helped.  Not sure if the problem is Adobe, SanDisk or Apple in nature. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic (and really all software) cannot disable a hard drive. If it can't be read, it is a hardware malfunction on the disk drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid of that. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

The laptop was in sleep mode with LRC open and SSD attached, so I thought something could have happened. Will now go to SanDisk. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian. Very helpful esp the YouTube video. I’ll try the firmware update and easeus recovery option. WD/SanDisk has lost me as a customer based on their poor response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After these Sandisk Extreme Portable issues came to light and their poor response to the issue I quit using my Extreme Portable and am now using Crucial SSDs,  X9 Pros specifically .  They  test very high for continuious write speeds on reliable test sites if you need that.  Video for example.  I still use Sandisk memory cards in my cameras as they have been very reliable.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a 4TB version of the Sandisk Extreme that I stopped using for fear of loosing data.  Mine lies outside of  WD's risk window, but...

The Crucial X9 Pros are very good as are Samsung T5 and T7. I have 4TB versions of both. I find the Crucial is faster and more compact than the Samsung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines