• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hard-to-Solve "Filter Failed" with Epson Printer

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent a few hours trying to troubleshoot this issue. I have a new Epson SureColor P700 printer, but can't get it to print from Lightroom Classic v9.3.  
Trying to isolate the problem, I spent an hour on the phone with Epson, who concluded it's a Mac problem, and then another hour with Apple, who concluded it's a Lightroom problem. I won't go through all the troubleshooting steps we took, but I did uninstall and reinstall the Epson driver three times, and checked virtually every setting on the Mac side. On the recommendation of the Epson rep, I've "reset the Mac printing system" several times by deleting the printer and all associated files and adding it back in. Didn't fix the problem.

After lots of experimentation, the Apple rep decided the problem lies with the Printer Settings that are available in the Print dialog box that you get when you hit Print in Lightroom. 
I'm able to print to the P700 from other applications, and also by selecting the Bonjour version of the printer instead of the TCPIP version, but then I get no Printer Settings choices—so that's not an acceptable workaround. According to Apple tech support, the Printer Settings in the dialog box are the 'filter' referred to in this "Filter failed" error message. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 2.32.00 PM.png

SO, I'm at a loss for how to solve this. I've also tried many different settings for the ICC profile in Lightroom, and for Media Type and Print Quality in the Print dialog box, but always get the 'Filter failed' message and the file doesn't print. 
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.

2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks. I inserted the screen shot in the body of the post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

Export the DNG file to a TIFF file and then try to print the TIFF.

If that fails then try it as a JPG.

Your screen shot show a PDF icon on the left side. What is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried your suggestion for both file types and it made no difference. Still got the Filter Failed message.

The PDF is a thumbnail of the image being sent to the printer, generated, I suppose, either by Lightroom or the Epson driver. The format of the file being sent to the printer is not a PDF.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a section in the OS X sys preference that may be limiting your printing from LrC.

Not sure as I use a Mac rarely and only for testing purposes.

It is in the Security section.

catalinasecurity.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. All those boxes in the Security and Privacy box were already checked.

Thank you also for passing along the two links. Unfortunately, I'd already read both of those posts (and quite a few more) after a Google search for Filter Failed. I've tried the things they recommend, without success. 

What I HAVE discovered since is that I can print to the AirPrint version of the printer, but not the TCPIP version. But that's not an ideal workaround, because it doesn't give me access to the same set of Printer Settings I want to take advantage of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, after reading many other related posts and trying various ways to isolate the problem, it's fixed. I do not think it was a Lightroom problem; I think it was an Epson printer driver/Mac OS issue. As a troubleshooting step, I installed the Epson driver software on my laptop (the problem I was trying to solve was printing from my iMac) … and it worked perfectly right away. So I went back to the iMac and deleted the Epson driver and all associated files and folders yet again (fourth time). I re-downloaded and re-installed the Epson printer software, and it worked.

I wish I had a clear explanation for why it worked, so that I could share it and help other people who have the same problem, but I don't. I imagine, though, that other people WILL have the same problem as this brand-new Epson printer gets into more Mac users' hands.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that worked out. Here's a more detailed way to do a fully clean install for Epson printers on Mac OS:

1.Delete all instances of Epson printers from System Preferences>Print & Fax.

2.Then go to /Library/Printers and toss the whole Epson folder.

3.Toss LFP Remote Panel (IF you are using this utility for your printer).

4.Then reinstall drivers from Epson and never Apple.

When you go back to Print & Fax to add the printer, on 10.X I had to wait almost a minute before the IP version of the printer showed up, whereas the Bonjour one shows up right away. Then add the IP instance of the printer. This is for printers on a network.
Then re-install LFP Remote Panel if you use it with this printer.

NOTE: IF you have more than one Epson printer, you need to install the driver in the order of their release! Older then newer or you run into issues (eg, install 4800 before you’d install 3880).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe  it! It worked. Thank you so much. Deleted and reinstalled as you suggested Printer driver v10.90 from the Epson site with OS 10.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From last post

I re-downloaded and re-installed the Epson printer software, and it worked. 

Previously, were you reinstalling an existing download, or had you acquired a fresh new download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with the new P700 on a Mac. I had printed about a dozen prints successfully. Then one day, I try to print and get the very helpful error "filter failed" error. I got it working by going into System Preferences->Printers & Scanners and right-clicking on the P700 printer in the list of printers and clicking on "Reset printing system." It removed both printers I had connected (wirelessly) to the Mac. I then added the P700 back, opened up LR again, and voila, back to normal. The equivalent of turning something on and off I guess in terms of resolving some issue with any gadget. Thanks again for posting the details of what you did here to get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, as well. It seemed like the quickest thing to try before jumping into deleting all my software. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a new one for me and I was a bit discouraged reading the initial posts. This approach fixed the problem immediately. Your insight is very much appreciated.

Epson ET-2720

MacBookPro 2016

Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thia worked for me as well.  Thanbk you.

Epson ET-2760

2020 MacBook Pro

Big Sur 11.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! This was quick and easy. Fixed the "filter failed" error in 30 seconds. Printer is humming along as always now. Thanks!

MacBook Pro - Big Sur v. 11.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

I have literally spent HOURS trying to solve this same problem with a new Epson WF-7840 connected to an iMac running OS 12.1 (Monterey). I had dumped everything "Epson" from my machine, scoured all my preferences, and then reloaded fresh drivers and firmware. I did this multiple times, NOTHING WORKED!

But in literally 30 seconds your solution had my printer functioning perfectly! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resetting the printer system worked a treat for me. (OS 10.13 using an epson ET-2600). I had been stuck with this problem for a few days. once my mac had reinstalled the printer, it worked fine. I really needed to know i could print out my ECG's...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here, about 4 years later, and your post just saved me hours of unneccesary fiddling. Just wanted to say Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You’re welcome! Glad it was helpful.

Eric

Eric Ahrendt

Grayscale Photography

eric@grayscaleimages.com

www.grayscaleimages.com<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started running into this problem after installing the latest drivers on my system and found a work around that works at leas for me. Instead of printing directly through the Lightroom interface, I was able to set everything up normally like I would, but instead of the print button in Lightroom I have found if you click the Printer button (where you can choose between what network pritners you would like to use) and send the file to the printer via the system print button in this pop-up if worked fine for me every time. 

Shown below

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 08.00.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having this Filter Failed issue issue on my trusty Epson Stylus Photo 2200, initially I removed all printers and reset the printer system. Also downloaded the latest updated drivers and nothing worked until....

I installed an old printer driver that I knew worked with Mavericks back whenever I installed that. I tend to keep a stash of old software just in case. This one is from 2013 but I just installed it on Mojave 10.14.6

epson13564.dmg

Here it is below:

https://gofile.io/d/kewiLL

Your mileage may vary but good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link may give you some insight https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/filter-failed-and-epson-p700.40574/

What is the PDF icon shown in your screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines