• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with missing files

New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having difficulty locating some files in LRC. I believe it is due to the file location changing (long story everything on computer was wiped) I have shown LRC the new file location (external hard drive) and It goes into compolete meltdown and deletes my catalogue. I have two videos showing the problem in detail. If anyone could please help it would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/6afhefjge2qz98mf07gt3/AHuKrBhhjDyqXxFZsF94bpM?rlkey=9446gmkve96fqy5u7... 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're going to have to give more detail. What do you mean by "shown LRC the new file location"? Does that mean right clicking a folder in Folders panel and using the Update Folder Location command? When you say "deletes my catalogue", that is very unusual.

As for your videos, can I suggest putting them on YouTube or uploading them into LrWeb (via drag and drop a browser). Maybe others will, but I'm not going to download something from a stranger's Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @john beardsworth I will do my best to upload the videos to youtube and then be in touch with the link.

I really appreciate everyones time helping me out. I am super confused and frustrated. Appreciate the patience and knowledge very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FRKM AUSTRALIA ,

Can you provide a copy of your catalog ( the .lrcat file only, no photos or previews ) in drop box and I will see if I can help you. I hope you have a backup copy of your catalog and if so, provide that one please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not provide a copy of your catalog, do not provide a backup. There could be personal information in there ... such as family members' names, your home's location, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us honestly want to help. PM me would be best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your time also @drtonyb I will be in touch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FRKM AUSTRALIA 

I sent you a Private Message. See the envelope in to top right of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully understand any privacy concerns about providing a catalog, so here is an alternative:

Make a copy of the catalog.

Open the copy in LrC and Remove all photos except the one shown in the posted video.

Remove all metadata/personal information associated with that photo.

Upload to drop box and send a link in a Private Message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have shown LRC the new file location (external hard drive) and It goes into compolete meltdown and deletes my catalogue. 

I'm going to take a wild guess here. Do you mean: After you reconnect the folders or photos in Lightroom Classic, the photos all seem to disappear.

If that's what you mean, this is expected behavior because LrC will not show the photos any more in the folders they were in. LrC will now show the photos in the new folders that they are in. Why? Because you just told LrC to use the photos that are in different (new) folders. The photos are all there, just in different folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @dj_paige. Does this mean that all of the edits to the photos have been lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @dj_paige. Does this mean that all of the edits to the photos have been lost?

By @FRKM AUSTRALIA

First confirm that my "wild guess" above is correct, that it describes what you saw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paigewrote

"If that's what you mean, this is expected behavior because LrC will not show the photos any more in the folders they were in."

This true, particularly if the file path is completley different to the orignal. I wonder if it might be better to locate the top-level folder assuming the folder structure beneath it hasn't changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FRKM AUSTRALIA 

Forget providing your catalog. Right-click the top level folder that is missing in your folder tree and choose "Find missing folder" Locate the folder on your drive. This will relocate all your folder, its subfolders and photos to the newly located position in your LrC Folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines