• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I select multiple files in the Import grid view in LR4?

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the only way I have discovered is to laboriously click the checkbox on each image I want to import. It seems that one should be able to select a range with one click (e.g. holding down Shift and then clicking the last image in the range) or by using a context (right-click) menu. No dice. What gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

I think two differeng groups of developers on two different planets designed the Library vs the Import views -- they sure are different!!

I can answer your question because I had the same question and spent weeks clicking each individually.

First ignore the checkboxes.  Then use click, ctrl+click, shift+click to select the thumbnails (NOT the Checkboxes, which is why I said to forget them for now!!)

When you have selected what you want, find one of the selected photos and click its checkbox one way

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 05, 2012 May 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think two differeng groups of developers on two different planets designed the Library vs the Import views -- they sure are different!!

I can answer your question because I had the same question and spent weeks clicking each individually.

First ignore the checkboxes.  Then use click, ctrl+click, shift+click to select the thumbnails (NOT the Checkboxes, which is why I said to forget them for now!!)

When you have selected what you want, find one of the selected photos and click its checkbox one way or the other, each click selects or deslects all the "selected" photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2014 Mar 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dennis,

you saved me some nerves
On MAC use SHIFT + click on thumbnail to selet a row of pictures ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2014 Mar 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the design for the import dialog is pretty ingenious in my opinion.  You can do a "Deselect All" and then use "click  shift-click   and ctrl-click" and then click a check box as you indicate.  You can then repeat this with another group of images without messing with the first selection.  It makes selecting sequences of non-contiguous photos very easy.   You can select 1 thru 10 and then 30 thru 40 without single clicking the second group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's been 8 years but thank you, you legend.

FYI, anyone reading, this still works in 2020!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it still works the same way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MVP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved me SO MUCH TIME 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quenton8, 

Bless you! You posted this answer 9 1/2 years ago, and it helped me today. I am importing a memory card that has images from a prior year as well as this year. I only wanted to import one year at a time so that I could put proper meta-data like copyright year etc. It was driving me crazy trying all these different ways to get it to only select a certain amount.

to reiterate for anyone seeing this later. I am running late room classic 10.4 and the following solution that was given worked for me.

First highlight (not checkmark) the first image you want to import by clicking on it, then hold down the shift key and click on the last image you want to import. Then go back to the first image and check the box and all images will automatically be checked that you had selected.

Brillant! Thank you again, and to Zander Who posted the original question. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so Much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As explained, there are two stages here: highlighting one image (or a set of several images), and then choosing whether that highlighted image (or that whole set of images) should show a checkmark, or not.

Besides mouse-clicking, another way is keypress P (for checked state) or X (for unchecked state).

And to run through image by image rather than highlighting thumbnails, either in Grid or Loupe view, you can combine checking / unchecking current image with moving on to the next one: Shift+P or Shift+X, respectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! No one else in the feed had said press P. Had trouble with all the others. 

Excellent post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a life saver! Thank you for your very clear explanation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just highlight the photo range you want to import by clicking (highlighting) the first one, then Ctl + Shift (MAC) on the last photo.  All the photos in the range should highlight.  However you'll notice that none of the check boxes are checked, so just go to any image in the range and check the checkbox will will check ALL the boxes in the highlighted range, then click on Import.  I have found this works well for me......good luck and good shooting! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH! Thank you. I understood your explanation best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amazing, thank you sooo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working as expected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, quenton8!!  Still works in November 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines