• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn "syncing photos to cloud? " off & delete everything?

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used Lightroom since I last did an update to it. I opened it today and added some photos I took. I left it open for several hours after I finished, then when I started to close it, a dialog box came up and asking if I wanted to let it finish syncing or to close now. This has never happened before, I've NEVER synced anything to the cloud from lightroom. The only thing that's ever synced was the libraries in photoshop. 

I can find no way to turn it off, nor can I find a way to delete the THOUSANDS of photos that lightroom uploaded against my will. 

If someone wants to use that, that's fine, IF that's what they want. I don't want to use it. And I really resent adobe turning that on and not giving me a choice in the matter. I do not use "lightroom", I use lightroom classic. I want everything to stay on MY COMPUTER AND NOT THE CLOUD. 

In the preferences for lightroom classic, I clicked on "Delete All Synced Data" and another dialog pops up telling me to "Go To Web To Proceed". I click that and I see all the photos that were uploaded but NO OBVIOUS WAY to DELETED THEM ALL.  This is so absurdly stupid for adobe to do this (they had to do this because it's never happened before and I've used lightroom classic for years. And I didn't change anything. So the only ones that could have done it is some idiot at adobe in the last "update"...), that I'm getting more infuriated by the moment. Someone please help me...

I need to know several things:

1. Why did this change and start syncing my photos to the cloud?

2. How do I turn off syncing?

3. How do I delete EVERY THING that was uploaded?

4. How do I PREVENT this from being changed behind my back in the future?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the upper right corner there is a cloud icon. Click on it and then click 'Pause' to stop sync. To delete all photos that are already in the cloud, go to 'All Synced Photographs', select all photos and hit the Delete key. BTW, your photos are still on your local disk. Lightroom synced smart previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan. I found the "pause" and paused it. What I need to know is how to completely disable it, not just pause it. If at some time in the future I decide to use this feature then I will turn it on. But I don't want adobe switching it on, for any reason. It had to be changed in the last update a few weeks ago, by adobe. Because I never switched syncing to the clooud on and I've been using lightroom classic for years and it's never uploaded to the cloud before. Last night I figured out that the only way to delete all of them were to select the top one, scrool down, hold shift and select a large group and the delete dialog opens at the top of the page to delete them. However, I had to do page after page after page that way to get rid of them, because lightroom had uploaded over 5,000 of them. There should be a ONE CLICK delete option that removes everything without having to manually select thousands and thousands of pictures over multiple pages. And there should be a setting in the preferences to turn off syncing, not just "pause" it.

Thank you for the reply and help, it's much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it but it isn't obvious. 

1. Create a new throw-away Catalog.
  2. Ask the catalog to sync (it will ask you if you want to change to this catalog for syncing) 
  3. Confirm the message
  4. Go back to your old catalog and syncing should now be disabled. 
  5.  Discard the catalog created in step 1
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rikk. I may have to do that. A question though. Is there any way to turn it back on in the future if I decide that want to sync some photos to the cloud? I don't think I will but the reason I'm asking is that since this solution isn't obvious, what would be the steps to reverse it after discarding the throw-away catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask the catalog to sync again and it will ask you to confirm transfer the syncing back to the current catalog - only one catalog can sync with an Adobe ID at a time. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rikk, I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines