• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I use color labels to NOT show a group of images?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very familiar with the workings of ratings and labels. Something I want to do sometimes is have a group of photos with a specific color label (for example, red) and I want to show all the images that are NOT red. With star ratings I can do greater than, less than, or equal. Is there a way to use color labels for All or None?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a Smart Collection. Or use the Filter Bar ... not red is selected by selecting all of the other color of labels except red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look into smart collections (I've used them before, but not for this), but selecting all the other colors only works if the other colors have been assigned. I suppose I could make everything blue, select the blue label filter and then make things I don't want to see not blue, but that seems a roundabout way to just say "turn off the red ones".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activte the red label filter, select the red labelled images, then invert the selection (Edit menu). You can do this on a folder by folder basis or from All Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activte the red label filter, select the red labelled images, then invert the selection (Edit menu). You can do this on a folder by folder basis or from All Photos

By @Ian Lyons

Invert Selection not working for me. If I select a color (in my case, purple), that part works properly, all purple photos are selected. Then I select Edit->Invert Selection and it still shows the purples, but it does change which images among the purple are "selected". At no time, do I see the non-purple photos selected unless I specifically change the filter bar.

Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was early, still half sleeping.

After selecting the labelled images you deactivate the label filter, then Edit > Invert Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was early, still half sleeping.

After selecting the labelled images you deactivate the label filter, then Edit > Invert Selection.

By @Ian Lyons

I don't know what this means, especially the part that says "you deactivate the label filter".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the relevant label tile on bottom toolbar filter to activate or deactivate (screenshot attached)

Untitled-3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just not getting it. Can you go through the "Invert Selection" method step by step, from the beginning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look into smart collections (I've used them before, but not for this), but selecting all the other colors only works if the other colors have been assigned.

It does work if you select all the label boxes except the colour that you're trying to filter out, e.g. if you want to exclude any images containing a red label, you would check all the other boxes except the red one. There would be 6 boxes to check, the last two are for "Custom Label" and "Unlabeled"....so you would then see all images that contain either a non-red colour label or no label at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do exaxtly that - red for culls (keyboard shortcut "6" works for single images, right click and set color label for multiple images). The color filters include a box on thr far right of the row which is for unlabaled. I often have to export files with different names from the same folder. As I export them I label them too so they hide and leave me looking at the ones I still have to export. If the various exports are going to different places I'll color code them for the different clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the best answer I've seen so far. While it doesn't just turn off red, it comes as close as I've seen and may work for what I need. I hadn't realized there was an "unlabeled" filter (thanks to a gray on black icon and failing eyesight). Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines