• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to auto import new images from a folder WHILE in Lightroom on a Mac?

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a camera and every new image I shoot with it gets into a folder on my MBP (via FTP). But I need a Lightroom Classic (or any other Adobe Product) to show automatically its preview (and adding it to a collection). Basically, it's a wireless tethering.

I read about auto-import and set it up. But it doesn't work at all. I quit LRC, then open it - nothing happens. And even if it would, I don't think this is going to work (well, I'm not sure).

So 2 problems:

1) auto import does not import anything?

2) how to realize preview of incoming images (how to make wireless tethering work)?

I'd say these are very essential features! Why SO difficult?

Thanks.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

@alvipeo wrote:

Another question - when in Library, in the full-size preview mode, can I measure RGB values without switching back and forth to other screens/apps? Because when I shoot "wirelessly tethered" I need to assess RGB values on a model's face, for example, or on the background.

One answer is to not be in the Library module, but during tethering stay in the Develop module, where the histogram does report values under the pointer. I am using Auto-Import right now as my film scanner dr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show with screenshots how you set it up? Also give us version numbers for Lightroom and MacOS.

And check out this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/import-photos-automatically.html

Do note the remark about not setting up a folder that already contains images!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up auto-import exactly by that article. I think I found a problem - images gets uploaded via FTP and the files created are owned by another user, not the one I logged in. If I change file ownership, LRC picks up the file just fine. So I have to figure out the way to fix this... I'll see what I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I changed FTP settings and now all new image files are owned by my standard user and LRC picks up all new images.

Another question - when in Library, in the full-size preview mode, can I measure RGB values without switching back and forth to other screens/apps? Because when I shoot "wirelessly tethered" I need to assess RGB values on a model's face, for example, or on the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alvipeo wrote:

One answer is to not be in the Library module, but during tethering stay in the Develop module, where the histogram does report values under the pointer. I am using Auto-Import right now as my film scanner drops frame scans into a folder, and can confirm that files incoming from Auto-Import pop up just as easily for reviewing in Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! That was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines