• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to import lightroom 6 catalog into lightroom classic

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I have the legacy lighroom 6, and now the new ligthroom 6 ( the one that downloads to the PC in a subscription plan).

there was a post that implied if I opened legacy lightroom 6 I would get a prompt to convert a catalog for use by lightrrom 6 classic.  I dont get that prompt and see  no other way to prompt lightroom  6  classic to go look for one. 

Help please.  Seems like  Adobe ought to provide some instructions  on a very common migration instead of  expecting users to go  hunting through a forum.

Thamk you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have upgraded from Lightroom 6 standalone version to Lightroom Classic CC (the subscription-based version), you should be able to migrate your catalog to Lightroom Classic CC during the installation process.

Alternatively, you can manually migrate your catalog by following these steps:

1. Open Lightroom Classic CC.
  2. Go to File > Migrate Lightroom Catalog.
  3. Browse to the location of your Lightroom 6 catalog file and select it.
  4. Click on the "Migrate" button to start the migration process.

If you are not seeing the prompt to convert your catalog when you open Lightroom 6, it is possible that you have already migrated your catalog during the installation process of Lightroom Classic CC.

If you need further assistance with the migration process or any other questions, I would recommend reaching out to Adobe's support team for help. They should be able to provide you with more detailed instructions and support for your specific situation.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have upgraded from Lightroom 6 standalone version to Lightroom Classic CC (the subscription-based version), you should be able to migrate your catalog to Lightroom Classic CC during the installation process.

Alternatively, you can manually migrate your catalog by following these steps:

1. Open Lightroom Classic CC.
  2. Go to File > Migrate Lightroom Catalog.

By @Amaan29142867u5s7

There is no such command as File->Migrate Lightroom Catalog in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC use File->Open Catalog and select the LR 6 catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some confusion, blame Adobe marketing.

You state subscription v6. Is this from several years ago or current. I suspect that you are not talking about Lightroom Classic, but Lightroom Ecosystem Cloud Based. If you subscribed to the Adobe Lightroom plan, then you have Lightroom Ecosystem (cloud based). If you subscribed to the Photography plan, then you could have both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom Ecosystem, (and PS, and Bridge)

So what plan?

What Lr?

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic/lightroom-cc-vs-lightroom-classic.html

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I have the legacy lighroom 6,

That would be from 2017 and earlier. The 'Perpetual' version. (Local files and local catalog)

and now the new ligthroom 6 ( the one that downloads to the PC in a subscription plan).

That would the the Cloud centric 'ecosystem' version (Files and catalog 'in the Adobe Cloud.)

there was a post that implied if I opened legacy lightroom 6 I would get a prompt to convert a catalog for use by lightrrom 6 classic.

The Migration of a Catalog to the 'Cloud' Lightroom is only possible by migrating from a Lightroom-Classic catalog (and preferably v12.2.1.). To this end you would need to install Lightroom-Classic v12.2.1 for the purpose of the migration. TBMK if you only have the "Lightroom Plan 1TB", even a trial of LrC will work when the Lr6 catalog is upgraded to LrC v12.2.1, before migration.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the orginal poster trying now to catch up on this thread I started.

When I referred to lightroom legacy, am referring to the no longer upgradable version ( rev 6) ( in the  app Help tab-->About menu is referred to as Adobe Photoshop Lighroom 6.0

When I referred to  new Lighroom 6, yes am referring to the desktop version from one of the photography plans that comes with only 20bg storage and all media files stored on local hardrives as well as the LR catalog. Adobe refers to this as Lightoom Classic CC I believe ( see this vide https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html#compare)  The About Lighroom in the app help menu  says Adobe Photoshop Lighroom ver 6.2

With that clarification, in Lightrrom Classic CC,  File--> "Migrate From" option and  then the sub option with mouse over of Lightroom Classic Catalog. From there before starting a migration there are warnings 

Howard28977618ojo6_0-1680201443312.png

when you read about it in the learn more link there is plenty to undertand in the current catalog in the legacy lighroom 

before pulling that trigger to convert.  I am not ready to do that.

Question I have is whether if/when I  to go with the Lightroom Classic CC and migrate my current catalog is whether I can continue to  have access to the legacy  lighroom and the catalog..that migrating the catalog is not destructive to  what I was doing.  I am reading about the new Lighroom Classic CC and have been using a test setup wioth some files and I am not out of the box happy slam dunk this is the way to go.  Perhaps the problems I am getting so far though are resolveable as well as just accepting that some things are just going to be different. Change is a fact of life.  I'll post  those issues or questions in a seperate thread if I need to.  Big thanks to the forum and maybe this thread will help others looking for the catalog migration part too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is not referred to as CC.

How about a screenshot of your current Lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reference to 'CC' in Lightroom Classic was removed a few years back. However, as you've discovered, there are various locations and dialogs where it resurfaces. This is both confusing and highly irritating to customers and helpers here on the forum as it often results in the back and forth communication you're experiencing.

As to your way forward. @Rob Cullen provided the solution and procedure. That is, you need to download a copy of Lightroom Classic using the creative Cloud app (12.2.1 is the latest version), then use this to convert your extsing catalog to a version that Lr Desktop was migrate from. I've attached a screenshot that shows where it can be obtained.

Note that your plan 'may' only allow it to be installed in Trial mode. This shouldn't be a problem, but as with the naming issue, the makeup of the plans can be confusing.

Hopefully, above helps.

Untitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ian, so I take it then that the Cullen way is the preferred way, in place of the embeded way within the app that I mention above.  I state as a question though I'm sure the answer is yes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went looking for a subscription or video  for something on the Cullen way (if I can call it that), but didn't find in a cursory check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Howard28977618ojo6  I've provided a link below to an Adobe Help document that explains the process in detail. All being well, it will get you up and running again.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/migrate-to-lightroom-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, I am having heartburn already....feeling like Adobe left me out to dry, but here is one big one for me from the instructions 

The issue is I have probably 1000's of folders,  at times nested sometimes four deep. I take it that insrtruction is to create a collection for each folder in my legacy lightroom.  I'm not familair wiht how to nest those in collections to maintain the structure is it possible do you know?  It looks like maybe, but thinking I'm not  going to be able to maintain it going forward anyway the way this new lightroom classic works.  Have 20 years photos in lightroom and increasing quite a bit lately as I  now live primarily on the road overlanding in Africa and have folder by country, by  day of  life on the road.  Really the folder count  for the last 20 years is huge and folder name tells me basic context for a grouping of pics as does the heirarchy of folders. Here is an an example..the Tanzania folder is in a master folder called Africa, then Tanzania, then day count ( i.e days in africa) with a folder title basic info about where that day or group of days was.  SO I create a "africa" collection (huge), then a "tanzania" collection, then a collection  of those folders beneath that (see screenshot).  IS that a reasonable "load" to put on the catalog?  The work effort to prep for catalog migration will be way too much before I head to back to Africa ( just in the US visiting at the moment).  I get the feeling your going to think I'm crazy

Howard28977618ojo6_0-1680213494228.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than a few small test catalogs, I've not used the migration feature in LrD. Therefore, can't offer much help on that front.

Above being said, and looking at your folder structure, workflow, etc my instinct tells me that LrD is the wrong option for you, especially if your Photography Plan is 20GB of cloud Storage. If you were to go down the Lr Classic 12 route, then you'd only need to upgrade your existing catalog. The main adavantage being that your existing folder structure, collections, etc would all remain as is.

If you choose to got with Lr C 12, then you'll need to check your plan as it may not included Classic. If that is the case, then you'll neeed to speak to customer services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than a few small test catalogs, I've not used the migration feature in LrD. Therefore, can't offer much help on that front.

Above being said, and looking at your folder structure, workflow, etc my instinct tells me that LrD is the wrong option for you, especially if your Photography Plan is 20GB of cloud Storage. If you were to go down the Lr Classic 12 route, then you'd only need to upgrade your existing catalog. The main adavantage being that your existing folder structure, collections, etc would all remain as is.

If you choose to got with Lr C 12, then you'll need to check your plan as it may not included Classic. If that is the case, then you'll neeed to speak to customer services.

By @Ian Lyons

OK Ian, I think a call is needed, I need both LrC 12  folder heirarchy  and local storage due to lack of internet connectivity.  I'll post their advice in case someone needs to know down the road.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"if/when I to go with the Lightroom Classic CC and migrate my current catalog is whether I can continue to have access to the legacy lighroom and the catalog."

No.  Migrating to the Cloud Version of Lightroom- all your files are effectively 'moved' to the Cloud.

You DO NOT NEED "legacy Lightroom" IF you have the Photography Plan 20GB-  If you install and use the now called Lightroom-Classic. Your Legacy v6 Catalog opens in Lightroom-Classic just as before (with an upgrade).

Migrating to the Cloud version is an entire change of storage method.

Read this blog before you migrate!  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/migrate-from-classic-to-lightroom-cloud/

Be sure of your decision before migrating.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see a easy way to include a prior post in a reply ( so just cut and paste it here with "  ") and then add to it

"if/when I to go with the Lightroom Classic CC and migrate my current catalog is whether I can continue to have access to the legacy lighroom and the catalog."

No.  Migrating to the Cloud Version of Lightroom- all your files are effectively 'moved' to the Cloud.

You DO NOT NEED "legacy Lightroom" IF you have the Photography Plan 20GB-  If you install and use the now called Lightroom-Classic. Your Legacy v6 Catalog opens in Lightroom-Classic just as before (with an upgrade).

Migrating to the Cloud version is an entire change of storage method.

Read this blog before you migrate!  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/migrate-from-classic-to-lightroom-cloud/

Be sure of your decision before migrating.

By @Rob_Cullen

Hello Rob, 
I don't think I have the cloud plan...photos on media I carry with me.  20gb storage  be like a drop in the bucket of the stotage space I need. Then basically as a nomad in Africa for the time being and then other contienents after that, the WIFI is sporadic and poor and cell service slow and costly. I linked to a video above that said the plan that I have is for local storage..at least that is what i understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to https://account.adobe.com/ to see your Plan.

By your description of your travels- you need Lightroom-Classic (ONLY IN THE Photography Plan (20GB) )

(Lightroom (Cloud version) requires constant fast access to the internet.)

You would use LrC v12.2.1 just as you used Lr ( v6 Perpetual) in the past with the same catalog (upgraded).

You would need to travel with computer and drives for 'local' storage of camera files.

The 'Creative Cloud Desktop App' is a management app for all Adobe software. It checks every 30days (Monthly paid plan) or every 90days (Annual paid) to verify your account by the internet. OFFLINE GRACE PERIOD 

You will find some useful information in free 'Travel eBook' from-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/free-downloads/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard, I was following this chain as your needs and challenge are exactly the same as mine in every way.  I was wondering if you ever took the plunge and migrated giving Lightroom Classic a try.  Was your folder structure maintained in the classic version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tyw66715713 There has been a lot of discussion in this thread, much of it confusing with the two "Lightroom" Apps.

Answer the questions-

Where are you now with your photos and storage?  What App have you been using?

Where do you want to be? Which App do you want to use (Local storage, or Cloud storage)?

Which Lightroom version am I using? | The Lightroom Queen

COMPARE LIGHTROOM & LIGHTROOM-CLASSIC FEATURES

If you have been using the old legacy Lightroom (v6 'Perpetual'), then Lightroom-Classic is the current new name for that app- now at Version 13.1- a big advance on v6.  There is NO "Migration" involved in this upgrade (Lr6 > LrC13)- only a modification of the Catalog, and your files remain exactly where they are now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised to get a email alert on this old Thread, sitting here in Botswana.  So yes, I did convert to LR classic and did the catalog conversion.  It all worked flawlessly and kept the folder structure.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised to get a email alert on this old Thread, sitting here in Botswana.  So yes, I did convert to LR classic and did the catalog conversion.  It all worked flawlessly and kept the folder structure.  

By @Howard28977618ojo6

You might want to mark your last reply as correct. That way the posting will show up as solved.

ref: Community How-To Guide - Tips & Best Practices | Adobe

"Marking answers as correct
If you received a solution to your question/issue that resolved your problem/doubts, please mark it as correct. This will highlight the answer within the post and in the community and will help fellow community members if they experience the same issue as you, or have the same question.
Know that multiple answers can be marked as correct, so feel free to do so if you found more than one answer to be helpful."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Howard. I also converted the Lightroom 6 catalog to Lightroom Classic and it was flawless with old folder structure maintained. Appreciate the follow up. Hope you are getting some great pics in Botswana. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines