• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to properly setup sync for Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an old version of Lightroom installed on my Windows computer. I had arranged my 25K photos/videos in a hierarchical folder system off of the directory H:\Photos

I've installed a new version of Lightroom Classic, converted the existing catalog and it seems to be working similarly to how the old Lightroom was set up. I have Google Drive making a backup of my photos dir, and since I'm paying for 1TB of storage with Adobe now, it seems to me I should set it up so that all my photos (and videos too hopefully) are also stored in Adobe's ecosystem.

How do I go about setting this up, the documentation that I've read is not very clear. Should I set the "Specify location for Lightroom's synced images" to be H:\Photos? 

Follow-on Q: When I installed the new "Lightroom" and "Migrated from..." the lightroom catalog, it imported without regard to the directory structure, basically throwing all my photos into one bucket making organizing the photos impossible without starting from scratch -- is that expected?

thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much to comment on in your post!

a new version of Lightroom Classic

Are you sure it is Lightroom-CLASSIC v12, and not the Cloud based Lightroom v6.0.?

paying for 1TB of storage

This might suggest you subscribed to the "Lightroom Plan 1TB $9.99" or did you subscribe to the "Photography Plan 1TB $19.99".?

so that all my photos (and videos too hopefully) are also stored in Adobe's ecosystem.

Do not consider your eco-system storage to be a 'Backup' it is not! Your Lightoom-Classic files must be stored locally, and 'backed up' on other local drives.

Specify location for Lightroom's synced images" to be H:\Photos?

This option in LrC sets a local folder (H: etc) for the download of ALL files in Mobile versions of the Lightroom App.

I installed the new "Lightroom" and "Migrated from..." the lightroom catalog,

The wrong thing to do if you wanted to stick with Lightroom-CLASSIC. Migration moves all you files to the Cloud.

Lightroom-Classic and Lightroom are NOT the same APP, and Lightroom is NOT a "New" version of Lightroom-Classic.

COMPARE LIGHTROOM & LIGHTROOM-CLASSIC FEATURES

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. Answers in-line.

Are you sure it is Lightroom-CLASSIC v12, and not the Cloud based Lightroom v6.0.?

Yes. Help/About indicates LrC v12.0

paying for 1TB of storage

This might suggest you subscribed to the "Lightroom Plan 1TB $9.99" or did you subscribe to the "Photography Plan 1TB $19.99".?

I chose the latter option. I wish I coulda just purchased an upgrade to my Lightroom software, but Adobe seems to be forcing customers (against their will in my case) to follow a subscription model.

so that all my photos (and videos too hopefully) are also stored in Adobe's ecosystem.

Do not consider your eco-system storage to be a 'Backup' it is not! Your Lightoom-Classic files must be stored locally, and 'backed up' on other local drives.

Specify location for Lightroom's synced images" to be H:\Photos?

This option in LrC sets a local folder (H: etc) for the download of ALL files in Mobile versions of the Lightroom App.

I'm somwhat confused here. What would happen to my existing library and/or cloud storage if I were to use the H:\Photos directory as the sync folder?

I installed the new "Lightroom" and "Migrated from..." the lightroom catalog,

The wrong thing to do if you wanted to stick with Lightroom-CLASSIC. Migration moves all you files to the Cloud.

Lightroom-Classic and Lightroom are NOT the same APP, and Lightroom is NOT a "New" version of Lightroom-Classic.

Thanks for the clarification. LrC seems like what I want, but I wish I was able to use the "new" Lightroom features like editing on mobile. Is there a recommended workflow for using both programs efficiently (esp. when one is coming from the "old" LrC-style of workflow?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Thanks for the clarification. LrC seems like what I want, but I wish I was able to use the "new" Lightroom features like editing on mobile. Is there a recommended workflow for using both programs efficiently (esp. when one is coming from the "old" LrC-style of workflow?)

There is a really good workflow to do this. Bonus is that you only need the subscription that is much cheaper and only includes 20 GB of cloud storage! What you do is use Classic as your main repository. You can sync specific collections from Classic to the cloud. Classic will upload just a smart preview of your image to the cloud. The cool thing is that those smart previews do not count against your cloud storage which is why you don't need the TB plan. However, you can fully edit these on your mobile devices (iOS and Android). Any edits will sync back to Classic and hen you're done you just remove them from the synced collection and they will be gone from the cloud but still in Classic. You won't get the full resolution images in the cloud but just the 2560 pixel on the long side smart previews and those work just fine for almost all purposes. They're also great for having portfolio images at the ready on an iPad in the Lightroom app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

I've downgraded to the lesser edition and will try it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the workflow just as @Jao vdL advises-

Lightroom-Classic is my Master Image Editor on my Home PC. All my photos are stored on local Drives connected my PC.

I set COLLECTIONS in LrC to Sync UP to the Cloud. (No storage is used!)

I can edit these images remotely with Lightoom on my iPhone, in a Browser with Lightroom-Web, and Lightroom-Desktop (Cloud v6.0) on my travel laptop.

If I take photos on my iPhone- these DO occupy space in my Cloud 20GB, and they automatically sync down to my LrC catalog.

SYNC SETUP IN CLASSIC

ScreenShot072.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines