Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to send a master file?

Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need someone to photoshop an image of mine. How do I send him the master file - and get it back with adjustments? I looked but couldn't figure it out.

Thanks guys,

Raphael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

You could export as a PSD file which will contain all of your Lightroom settings. When you get it back after editing in Photoshop simply import the  PSD file into the Lightroom catalog.

N.B. if your master is a raw file it needs to be a pixel based file for editing in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could export as a PSD file which will contain all of your Lightroom settings. When you get it back after editing in Photoshop simply import the  PSD file into the Lightroom catalog.

N.B. if your master is a raw file it needs to be a pixel based file for editing in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jon.

a) Which color space and bit depth?, b) Which resolution (this image will be printed)?, c) Sharpening?

d) Needs to be a pixel based file? Means? As opposed to?

e) Are this file and the Photoshopped (much larger) file emailable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest keeping it at 16 bit and as Pro Photo RGB if the other person has that same working space set up in Photoshop; then you can import it back into Lightroom and use your own print profile. Otherwise use sRGB which is the most common for printing. I use 300ppi for print. A very large canvas intended to be viewed from a distance could use a much lower dpi.

Sharpening can be left to final output unless smart sharpening is to be used in Photoshop; then no more should be necessary.

Pixel based is necessary for editing in Photoshop. When we send a raw image directly into Photoshop from Lightroom it gets rendered as PSD, Tiff or jpeg. Those are all pixel types.

A PSD would probably be emailable as it’s quite an efficient container. Tiff files are normally very large, so not as practical. I usually find that a PSD will produce an excellent exported 8 bit jpeg from Lightroom  and that is often what I send to the print lab or book maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon  wrote

I would suggest keeping it at 16 bit and as Pro Photo RGB if the other person has that same working space set up in Photoshop.

That is a common misunderstanding. It does not matter what working space the other person has set up in Photoshop, because this working space only applies to new documents. What happens when you open an existing document is determined by the Color Management Policies. The other person needs to have that set to Preserve Embedded Profiles.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways to do this:

1: Export the image ‘as original’. That will export the master file and an xmp file. Send both to the other person and ask him to do the same when he is done editing. When the file is returned to you, place the xmp file in the same folder as the original file, and then in Lightroom you select it and choose ‘Metadata - Read Metadata from File’.

2: Export the image as catalog and check all options in the dialog. Send the exported catalog folder to the other person. The other person loads this catalog in Lightroom, makes the edits and then returns the catalog to you. Then you use ‘Import from Another Catalog’ to get the edits into your catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: your question is a bit cryptic. You talk about sending a ‘master’ file, but a PSD is not a master file. It is a derivative file with your edits ‘baked in’. That means that the other person will not be able to change your edits if he wanted to. If you want him to be able to do this, then you really have to send the master (export as original, or export as DNG) and let him generate the PSD.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Johan’s point – export as original would not include any of your own LR editing. Use that if you want the Photoshop re-toucher to do everything from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export as Original does include your own latest LR editing, but it only does so in the form of attached XMP instructions and not by modifying any picture data.

Whatever file type was imported, that is what file type is copied by this option.

In the case of proprietary Raw, a new sidecar file gets written into the destination folder of the Export, alongside a copy of your source file as it stands. Otherwise, say if it's DNG or camera JPG, that same data goes into the file header of a copy of the source file.

So if sent to someone, and if that person imports the image into LR or else opens the image into ACR in such a way that the accompanying XMP gets seen and interpreted - then all LR editing will be in place, but still remaining alterable.

A similar effect can be achieved by writing latest LR edits out to file, then sending the recipient a copy of the source file - if Raw, AND of any XMP sidecar alongside. That won't work for a virtual copy's edits though; but Export as Original is just as happy to work with a VC, producing the identical outcome, as with a master copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed Richard I think Johan mentioned above the need to send both files in the case of proprietary raw such as NEF, CR2 etc.. But thanks for a helpful and detailed contribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A simple reply I can wrap my head around. As usual, that you Jon.

.... and thanks to the other guys who really helped. Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines