• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to sync "across devices" - two computers and one phone.

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two computers (a Macbook Air, a desktop PC), and one Android phone.  I subscribe to the full Adobe suite.  I've been using these apps for many many years, and there's still so much that to me, is un-understandable.  I think one part of the problem is Adobe's lack of universal terms - like on mobile a "collection" is actually a FOLDER (yeesh I worked on that for an hour until I figured that out).

Anyway, I want to be able to sync photos I take on my phone to BOTH my Macbook and desktop - but - they are using two different catalogs.  So...am I screwed?  No way to have the same photo on all threee devices?

So then what does Adobe mean by "sync across all devices" - it seems that is IMPOSSIBLE, correct?

Thanks...

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Cloud based is related to where the photos will be stored.

• Lightroom Classic (formerly known as Lightroom): Stores the original photos locally and uses a catalog for the metadata; only Collections can be synced to the cloud as SmartPreviews.
  • Lightroom (Desktop, new when Lightroom was renamed to Lightroom Classic - I know it's confusing): Stores the original photos in the cloud and does not use a local catalog.
  • Lightroom Mobile: Accesses photos in the cloud, either the SmartPreviews synced by

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first hurdle is that you can only 'sync' one Lr-Classic catalog, so having separate Lr-Classic catalogs on both Mac Air and desktop PC is not workable and creates problems.

My suggestion is to

-Make Lr-Classic your 'master' controller and storer of your images on the Desktop PC.

-Use Lightroom (Lightroom-Desktop v7.4.1  Cloud based) on the Mac Air

-Use Lightroom-Mobile on phone.

With this mix of apps-

Lr-Classic can sync photos from standard Collections to all other devices. Collections in Lr-Classic appear as Albums in Lightroom. (Be aware syncing UP from Lr-Classic only sends proxy [Smart Preview] files to the Lightroom Cloud.)

Images you Import (Add) to Lightroom apps (Lightroom-Desktop v7 and phone) will be uploaded (full-size) to the Cloud and then automatically download (full-size) to your Lr-Classic master catalog on the Desktop PC, hence the reason to make it your 'Master' controller.

If you want to use Lr-Classic on the Macbook then consider it as a totally separate catalog from the system I suggest above (and don't set it to sync!). You can however merge catalogs [Import from another catalog] from the Macbook to the Desktop PC, For example- Using a Lr-Classic catalog on the Macbook while travelling, and merge catalogs when you return home.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Rob.  I'll give that a try. 

You actually brought up another of the SUPER confusing Adobe nomenclature - "Lightroon-Desktop Cloud Based" - that phrase right there seems to be a contradiction unto itself.  So you are saying there is an app that is downloaded and run on a computer, but based in the cloud?  And that is different from Lighroom on the web (cloud)?

So how many versions of Lightroom are there?

Classic
Web
Desktop-Cloud based (still can't believe that name)
Mobile.

It's really stunning, to me, how complicated Adobe can make what seems like should be simple concepts.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud based is related to where the photos will be stored.

• Lightroom Classic (formerly known as Lightroom): Stores the original photos locally and uses a catalog for the metadata; only Collections can be synced to the cloud as SmartPreviews.
  • Lightroom (Desktop, new when Lightroom was renamed to Lightroom Classic - I know it's confusing): Stores the original photos in the cloud and does not use a local catalog.
  • Lightroom Mobile: Accesses photos in the cloud, either the SmartPreviews synced by Lightroom Classic or the originals synced by Lightroom Desktop.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2024 Jul 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"...there is an app that is downloaded and run on a computer, but based in the cloud?"

Yes. and @F. McLion  has answered the question well.

I like to think of Lightroom-Classic in a class of its own, and all the other Lightroom apps as 'Mobile' versions.

Adobe sell the Lightroom Plan (1TB)  that only has the 'mobile' (Cloud based) versions of Lightroom-

-Lightroom (Desktop for a Mac or PC)

-Lightroom (iPhones, iPads, Android)

-Lightroom (Web)  Allows you to use your Lightroom (Cloud) photos on any Web Browser.

Adobe also sell the Photography Plan (20GB) that ALSO INCLUDES ALL OF THE ABOVE and these two apps-

-Lightroom-Classic

-Photoshop

The Photography Plan (20GB) is more suited to professionals and keen amateurs that need or want  Photoshop.

You are not alone in your confusion!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines