Exit

How to use the Denoise filter in Lightroom Classic: 🔎 Quick Tip

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

Using the new AI Denoise filter

Did you know you can easily remove noise from high-ISO or underexposed images using Lightroom's new AI Denoise filter? Follow the steps below or watch the video at the end of the article to see how this amazing filter can rescue images you thought were destined for the trash bin.

Also, check out the related links at the bottom for more great information.

Enjoy!

Open a raw image

• *NoteOnly Bayer and X-Trans raw files are supported at this time (which includes most popular raw file types.)
  • We are looking into ways to support other image formats in the future. 
  • For more information see this article.

RickSpaulding_0-1687789576373.png

Select Denoise

• From the menu bar, select Photo > Enhance or select Denoise in the Detail panel.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 8.56.58 AM.png

See the whole picture

• Click the magnifying glass to see the entire image.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 9.53.58 AM.png

Find the details

• Click on an area with detail to better see the effect.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 10.10.34 AM.png

❺ Set the filter strength

• Use the amount slider to change the intensity of the filter.

RickSpaulding_1-1687794190508.png

Preview before and after

• You can press and hold the preview image to see the effect.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 10.24.45 AM_copy.png

Click 'Enhance'

• Click Enhance to generate a new DNG file.
  • Enhance-NR will be appended to the filename and it will appear next to the original or stacked depending on you choice.

Enhance.jpg

❽ Compare your results

• Select both images and click View > Compare to see the results side by side.

RickSpaulding_0-1687813811134.png

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 11.25.37 AM.png

Watch the video 

Related links:

Improve image quality using Camera Raw

Denoise demystified

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm using Denoise AI in the Lightroom Classic as well as in the Cloud app. I noticed that it takes longer to generate a DNG file. Is there something I have to tweak Lightroom (classic) settings on Mac? Please let me know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that it takes longer to generate a DNG file.

Longer than what?

If you mean that Denoise is slow, there is no setting to tweak; instead you need a newer and more powerful graphics card (also called GPU)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, on my 6-1/2 year old Dell desktop with an outdated GPU, Denoise was taking 15 minutes or more - I just had to go away and do something else while it worked. My new Dell desktop with more RAM and the latest GPU does it in about 15 seconds!

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking for advice if I could sync Denoise function and apply it to batch of images from the same series. For example when creating a timelaps video I export 300+ images with the same settings. Should I end up with hundreds of DNG files, set manually one by one or there is another way to do that? Thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select a batch of files in LrC grid, choose Enhance > Denoise, adjust the Amount slider of previewed file to taste, then tap the the Enhance X Images button as shown on attached screenshot.

Note that denoising 300 files in one batch will likely bring your system to a standstill, if not worse. Best you break process down into much smaller batches (e.g. 20 files).

batch denoise.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway to prevent it from adding to the filename on the DNG export?  I need to FTP files with original file names on the fly and having to export then rename back to original name, then FTP is cumbersome and has me using manual NR instead when I am on a deadline.  - Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quan tracto una imatge amb Denoise AI al Lightroom, per veure la imatge millorada he de tancar i tornat a obrir el programa. Algú em pot dir com solucionar-ho. Em passa el mateix quan importo imatges noves desde la targeta SD. No me les mostra com a última importació fins que no he tancat i tornat a obrir Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Imagine this would work on LR mobile to denoise smartphone raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines