Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Idle Lightroom Classic - high CPU usage Mac

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I run High Sierra 10.13.3 and Lightroom Classic 7.2 on my MacBook Pro 15" 2017.

When idle Lightroom always uses a lot of CPU (around 100% of my CPU). I've checked that any processes for syncing or face detection is paused and I even re-installed the Lightroom and reset the preferences. Still uses a lot of CPU while idle.

(I know that many have had problems with CEPHTMLEngine but in Activity Monitor I don't see that it's running high. It's only the app "Lightroom" in activity monitor that runs high on CPU)

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check activity monitor to see if spindump and tailspind also have high CPU usage.

If they do, then what may be happening is that when Lightroom uses a lot of CPU, then spindump becomes active to aid analysis of memory usage and it turns into a sort of vicious circle consuming CPU. Unless you are a developer you probably don't need spindump and tailspind running.

You can disable spindump and tailspind by following the instructions here:

Disable tailspind and spindump to Speed Up your Mac - The Mac Observer

After doing this, my idle-time Lightroom CPU usage has dropped from 100%+ to around 2%.

Paddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

But only spindump is running and it's at 0% while Lightroom is at 100% or more while idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - only idea I have, but if spindump isn't also using a lot of memory, then it must be something else.

I have noticed that Lightroom often seems to go on using CPU for a while after all the tasks stop showing as active, but it usually stops that after a few minutes and returns to idle usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately my Lightroom CPU usage runs high for as long as the program is open.

Is there a way to see what process inside Lightroom uses so much CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try the following steps:

1) Shutdown your system and disconnect all USB phones, cameras, card readers, and flash drives.

2) Restart your system and do not launch any other applications.

3) Reset the LR Preferences file as outlined at the below link. I suggest manually removing the Preferences file and placing it on the desktop. This allows you to restore it if of no help.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

4) Launch LR and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem for me, but I've found the smoking gun. I'm up beyond 300% when I launch LR. It will stay there indefinitely unless I optimize the catalog. As soon as I do, activity drops to ~5% and stays there until I quit and relaunch -- then the same thing happens. Something is getting corrupted upon reading or writing the catalog.

Macbook Pro

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OSX 10.13.5

LR 7.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines