Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image constraint size error?

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Trying to export some 600ppi jpegs but get an image constraint message and it lowers the ppi. I've tried searching for an answer and see thsis issue has been raised before but cant find a solution? As the images are an odd size (open opera manuscript) i've tried on smaller images but it wont let me go over 300ppi on anything. Am I missing something obvious here as it was okay with 600ppi last week?

TIA

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Wow what a strange bug! I just confirmed on my machine it does the same. Just fiddling with the inch/cm popup makes it accept the 600 ppi setting and it will export fine when you got it to accept the number. The dimension check might be meant to protect against going over the 65000 pixel on a side and 512 MP limit overall but is cdalculating it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have selected a size in centimeters. If you combine that with a resolution of 600 ppi, then you could go over the maximum pixel dimensions that Lightroom can handle. That is why Lightroom tells you 319 ppi will just stay within those dimensions and anything above that is not possible.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old bug in LrC that was never fixed or is back. 

You can actually export an image at 80cm and 600ppi.

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.24.05 AM.jpg

The exported image size is as follows. 18898/600 is 31.496 which is the size in inches as the ppi is given in inches.

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.23.03 AM.jpg

The bug can be recreated as follows

Set setting like this

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.30.30 AM.jpg

Change Resolution to pixels per inch

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.30.51 AM.jpg

Try to change Resolution 600 pixels per inch.  it turns red

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.31.07 AM.jpg

Hit return and it changes to 319Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.31.21 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other issues here too.  If you set the export dialog as follows there is no warning/error on export but the exported photo dimensions are wrong.  80X600=48000 not 28377   LrC should warn/error.

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.53.12 AM.jpg

 

Screen Shot 2024-07-04 at 10.53.59 AM.jpg

 

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow what a strange bug! I just confirmed on my machine it does the same. Just fiddling with the inch/cm popup makes it accept the 600 ppi setting and it will export fine when you got it to accept the number. The dimension check might be meant to protect against going over the 65000 pixel on a side and 512 MP limit overall but is cdalculating it wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did change the inch/cm settings and suddenly I can export 600ppi. I'm also sure ive seen this bug before too. I'm guessing its back? Thanks for the discussion everyone as its given me a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jao vdL 

This bug it think was even in old Lightroom 6 or prior,and I thought it was fixed but apparently not or maybe its back.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines