• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image looks highly oversharpened in Develop module, but correctly in the details preview box

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear fellow Lightroom users,

I have suddenly come across a problem in Lightroom with the images looking way oversharpened in the Develop module.

This problem definitely just emerged in the last two weeks since I last edited a photo, it was all fine before.

Just for clarification, I use both a Panasonic MFT camera as well as a Sony A7 and I only shoot RAW images. Problems occur on all images from both cameras. There are no presets or other settings applied on import.

In the library view, all my pictures look perfectly fine. As soon as I switch to Develop mode, the image displayed in 1:1 ratio looks highly oversharpened, as if I would have upped the setting from 40 (default) to 80 or higher.

But in the small preview window within the "details" toolbox, the image shows the correct amount of sharpening.

To clarify, the image looks less sharp in the details box then in the main develop window. If I switch back to library, the image again looks correctly sharpened. Exported images are also fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the reason for this?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Greetings, Jan-Hendrik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Your develop previews might be corrupted.

Try purging the Camera raw cache, which will delete them.

This is done in Preferences > Performance.

LR-purge-cache.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this did not help. Images in the Develop module are still looking oversharpened while being just fine in all other views.

Thank you for the tip.

Greetings,

Jan-Hendrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that the image displays correctly in Library. Is this at 1:1?

If you compare Library and Develop at 1:1, what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I mean the 1:1 view. In Library, the 1:1 image looks "correct", meaning the sharpness is according the the image settings. In Develop, the 1:1 view is highly oversharpened while in the little viewing box of the Details tool, the part of the image visible is displayed with the correct amount of sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your develop previews might be corrupted.

Try purging the Camera raw cache, which will delete them.

This is done in Preferences > Performance.

LR-purge-cache.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that did the trick!

Now that Lightroom has to recreate all previews, the images look just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purging the cache does not fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing the image at 100%?

Another thing you can try is to disable the GPU under Preferences > Performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per. One should not have to turn GPU on or off when switching between modes. That's a bug that Adobe needs to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If disabling the GPU fixes the issue, make sure your graphics driver is up to date.

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics driver is up to date. Yes, turning off GPU makes the oversharpening go away. That is not a fix though. That's a work-around for a problem with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on Mac or Windows?

What graphics card and driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images that look too 'grainy' in Develop is a known bug that will be fixed soon. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are not too grainy. They are oversharpened in the develop module. I attached samples in my message. That is sharpening, not grain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so I've had the exact same issue with photos in Develop module looking oversharpened, whereas in Library everything looked normal. Purging cache did not help. Someone here suggested also turning off the GPU Acceleration, which helps, but you lose the GPU Acceleration, so it's not a very good solution either.

So, what I managed to find out is that in my case it was the Radeon Software that was causisng the oversharpening in Develop Module. I have a laptop with Ryzen 5 4600H with integrated AMD GPU, and Radeon Software has a feature in Settings named Radeon Image Sharpening. I turned this feature off and then the sharpening in Lightroom came back to normal in all modules.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines