Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Resolution

Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find image resolution (DPI) of an image in LR Classic

I can see I can chose 300 DPI in export but where can I find the DPI of an imported image sent to me by someone else?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

In addition to what dj_paige said -

The important numbers are the pixel dimensions.

If you want to know how large you can print an image at a given ppi, divide the pixel dimensions with the ppi number, and you'll get dimensions in inches.

Ppi is optional metadata, used by printer drivers to calculate physical dimensions for printing.

Other than that, it has no practical use. On screen, an image will display exactly the same if the ppi set to 1 or 1000, or if it doesn't have any ppi at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photofan731  wrote

Where can I find image resolution (DPI) of an image in LR Classic

You can't, there is no such thing as DPI for digital images. Lightroom does not show the pixels per inch (PPI, not DPI) resolution because when images are displayed on your monitor, there is no such thing as PPI for a photo on a monitor.

I can see I can chose 300 DPI in export but where can I find the DPI of an imported image sent to me by someone else?

You don't need to see this. There is no need to know a PPI when you are viewing digital images on your screen. You can change it to whatever you want at export. The only time it makes a difference is when you export for the purposes of printing, and then you can set it to whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what dj_paige said -

The important numbers are the pixel dimensions.

If you want to know how large you can print an image at a given ppi, divide the pixel dimensions with the ppi number, and you'll get dimensions in inches.

Ppi is optional metadata, used by printer drivers to calculate physical dimensions for printing.

Other than that, it has no practical use. On screen, an image will display exactly the same if the ppi set to 1 or 1000, or if it doesn't have any ppi at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for reply, sorry I made a mistake, I meant PPI not dpi.

You have answered my question correctly

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines