• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images are unable to import (Grayed-Out)

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so frustrated with this software. I have been using it for a while now. Lr not working1.jpg I can understand the simple commands and executions but, it is frustrating as all hell! 

I'm so ready to switch to Capture One Pro, ON1 or Skylum Luminar 4.

From library:

-I select the source

-Import Photos and Videos. 

-Destination: (I create a new sub folder on the destination folder)

- I make sure that Don't Import Selected Files is checked ( It doesn't matter if it is selected or not)

-Click import........

The system takes a while, it shows the images blah, blah, blah NOTHING!!!!!!!

I can see all the images grayed out. Nothing has been imported.

Then I go through the ever annoying steps to see if, they are the right file or, synchronize the folder or, optimize the catalog or, select all or new images or, uninstall - re-install the LR. Jeez!

After WASTING time trying to save my images from a SD card to my computer using LR, I end up using Bridge to copy those images to my destination folder. But, of course. LR doesn't know how to deal with that, and then nothing really works.

Is there a FAIL PROOF way to import those images and not having LR screw up. Or, is there a way for LR to be able to open the images after being imported using a more reliable method like Bridge!?

I use a Windows 11

The latest version of  LR CC (11.3.1)

Cache has been cleared, Uninstalled and Installed twice, the destination drive has plenty of space for the images, the don't import copies has been tried with and without the check mark.

What am I doing wrong with this software?!

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try:

1. Click on the folder below DCIM; better? 

If not.

2. Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try that. I'm on a trip now and away from my desktop. I'm anxious to try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click "New Photos" instead of "All Photos"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does the same thing. All grayed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering, are you intending to import as DNG?

Personally, i've never trusted Lr to copy/import from a card and i always copy from card to Explorer/Finder and then import from there to Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why have you never trusted Lightroom to copy/import from a card? That has always been my method of importing new images using a card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JP Hess wrote:

Why have you never trusted Lightroom to copy/import from a card? That has always been my method of importing new images using a card reader.

Never a problem for me either. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a utility that verifies the copied files, which Lr does not. There's also currently a MacOS bug that can result in data loss when copying from a card. I bugged it months ago and Adobe is only now making a post about how to work around the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While importing and copying to DNG, there is data verification. Which is what the OP is doing.

Zero issues with MacOS and data loss with cards. Ever. Nor does this seem to be the OP's issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that suggestion but, somehow, I end-up with repeated copies if and when it works. I even created a new folder in another drive and gave it a different name but left the files name the same. No good. Still grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greyed out thumbnails in the import dialog usually means that the images have already been imported (which is very possible for users - such as myself - who do not routinely reformat their memory cards before each new shoot). You can test this by changing the selection type from "All Photos" to "New Photos" immediately above the centre panel. That will change the display to show you only the images that LrC thinks are new. So what happens if you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines