• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import photos from card reader : Move option greyed out

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting "import" and if the source is a memory card, the Move option is not available.

I found pointers to a previous discussion on this forum. The recommendation was to reformat the memory card after every import with Copy.

I don't find that to be a suitable recommendation. I keep other files on the card such as video files that I don't want to import in Lightroom.

If I import files from the card with "Copy", and then delete the bad pictures from the catalog, and don't format the card, at the next import, these pictures that were deleted from the catalog now will be selected for import again. Really inconvenient.

I'm looking for a simple workflow where the pictures are copied and removed from the card at the same time. I feel it is unintuitive and time-wasting to have to perform a separate action to either format the card, or manually delete the file.

I realize some have concerns about reliability and possibility of picture loss. IMO, this concern applies equally to removable and non-removable sources. The user should be able to choose what works for them. Put a warning in the UI - every time, if need be. Or perform a verification after copy before deleting the file from the original source. Just don't grey out the option altogether.

Pentax K-1 II . Panasonic Lumix GX85.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
2 x 32UHD59-B 32" 4K displays
1 x Asus PB238Q HD display
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum, so we can't help you with feature requests. You need to go to https://feedback.photoshop.com for that. 'Move' is disabled on memory cards to protect users from losing their images in case of a calamity during import, so I don't expect your request to be honored, but file it anyway.

As far as suggesting a work around is concerned: without even telling us whether you use Mac or Windows, that may be difficult for us too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will file it there.

I'm using Windows 10.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I filed my request over there :

Lightroom : Move option greyed out for card reader | Photoshop Family Customer Community

In the meantime, what might the workaround be on Windows 10 ?

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use File Explorer to move the images to a folder on your hard drive, and then import them to Lightroom using the Add option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed I can, but that remains an unnecessary extra manual step. It is no simpler than manually deleting the files after copy. I don't consider it a workaround. I am looking for an automated solution.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. You asked for a workaround. Workarounds can't always be fully automated. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround for my Nikon is-

1. Place SD card back in camera

2. Hold down two buttons to format the card.

Card is now empty, refreshed, ready for next job.

A recommended procedure that avoids several problems when importing from Card>Lightroom.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that solution is that many cameras store custom settings on the memory card itself. For example, Sony cameras have a Memory Recall (MR) where the camera's current state can be saved for easy re-use. Usually one (or as many as three) of these memory slots are stored in the camera's memory directly, but the rest of them are stored on the memory card. If you reformat the card, all of your stored camera settings are erased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please disprove a nagging hunch I have.

Where are you keeping your backups of your photos?

Where are you keeping your backups of your catalog? (and yes, two separate backups)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The disabling of "Move" when importing from removable media has elicited complaints from a minority of users since the inception of Lightroom in 2007, but was the result of a carefully considered design decision at that time to which the crew have remained loyal since then. So I very much doubt it will change now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines