• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported imaged in lightroom are smaller than original

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I am new to Lightroom & Photoshop. I was getting through editing my first photoshoot on here, and I realized in Photoshop that the pictures were much less detailed. I went back to the photos originally imported in Lightroom, and the files were much smaller. For example, a 6000x4000 jpeg was imported as a 1086x724 jpeg. 

I am shooting with a Sony a6000 in Raw + JPEG. I use Image Edge Mobile to get them from my camera to my phone, and I airdrop the photos to my mac. In my computer, they are 6000x4000 jpeg files. Once I import them to Lightroom, they decrease significantly. 

Has anyone experienced this or suggest a way that I can fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

This is the order of transfer:

Camera > phone (via Image Edge Mobile) > Mac (via airdrop) > Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

This is why your images are smaller. The image edit you are doing on your phone is sizing them down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

After some messing around with different methods of importing, I believe I figured out the issue. If i save the airdropped images to files instead of Photos and import them from there, they maintain their size. If I save them to Photos and then import them, they diminish is size significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your camera settings. It is more than likely set to record a Smaller JPG image than the sensor size.

Make sure it is set to highest quality for JPG images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always been at L: 24M, which is the largest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are doing cropping, this shouldn't happen. The act of passing photo from one software to another will not change the image size. So you need to confirm, at every step, what the image size is. These are the steps where you need to identify the image size: in camera, after using Image Edit Mobile, after air drop, upon import to Lightroom, upon transfer to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In camera, the only demensions I know are 24M. I am not sure what it is when they go to my phone, but I am assuming the same size when they go to my computer, 6000x4000. The quality of the images seems consistent all the way up until I import them to Lightroom. The image sizes are the same in Lightroom and Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In camera, the only demensions I know are 24M"

Every camera has a setting that determines the size in pixels of your image. You need to check.

"I am not sure what it is when they go to my phone"

This is the whole point, you need to find out the dimensions at each step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you send the photos in your camera to your phone, then you send the photos in your phone to lightroom?

Please tell me I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the order of transfer:

Camera > phone (via Image Edge Mobile) > Mac (via airdrop) > Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why your images are smaller. The image edit you are doing on your phone is sizing them down. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, click on Help, click on System Info, What version is stated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Lightroom Classic version 9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the phone in the middle if the import wirkflow?

Color grading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im new to editing photos, so I normally just transfer to my phone because i would normally have no reason to import to my computer. Also, its pretty quick and easy through Image Edge Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not doing any edit on my phone. The images in my computer are 6000x4000. That is after I sent them from my phone to my computer. It is not until I import them to lightroom that they are sized down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2020 Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some messing around with different methods of importing, I believe I figured out the issue. If i save the airdropped images to files instead of Photos and import them from there, they maintain their size. If I save them to Photos and then import them, they diminish is size significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right it is because you are copying those images to your phone first, into some app, that is changing them.

It is that app that is editing them to a smaller size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, the pictures go from my camera to my phone, then to either Photos or files on my mac, and then into Lr. Previously, I was saving the pictures from my phone into Photos on my mac. When I was in Photos, the pictures were 6000x4000. To import them into Lr, I would drag and drop them into Lr, and then the demensions would be diminished. In Lr was the only place the pictures were diminished. They were perfectly fine in Photos after the process on my phone.

This time, however, I saved the pictures from my phone to files on my mac. I then drag and droppes the file into Lr and the demensions remained 6000x4000.

From this, I firmy believe that what occurs on my phone is not the issue. I believe it is the method of importing from my computer (either Photos or files) that is the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

I suggest you STOP using 2 Different photo cataloging and editing apps, LR Classic and Apple Photos, and Pick One then Stick with it.

It will greatly reduce the confusion you have recently been going through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of a way is can get photos from my sony a6000 into Lr that takes less steps? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Either take the memory card out of the camera and put it in a card reader or connect the camera directly to your computer with a Cable (Card Reader is the recommended method) then Open LR Classic and Click the Import button.

The import window will open giving you many options on where to store your images on your hard drive and other options.

I suggest you view some online tutorials about using LR Classic and espoecially about importing images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue! However, I am importing my photos directly from my camera to my laptop so a phone is not an issue at all. I am really confused at where the problem is because half of the photos I imported are their original file size and then some from the same batch of photos are appearring significantly smaller. I am at a total loss of what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lets see

• Two year old posting, that got closed (answer marked as correct)
  • Very likely a different LrC version
  • A camera instead of a phone.

Please post a fresh new discussion, when you do please include at least the following

• LrC version, v11.5?
  • Operating System and version, Windows 10, MAC?
  • Camera make/model
  • Are images RAW or JPEG or both
  • Have you inspected in camera to make sure what you thought was RAW, is in fact RAW
  • Have you inspected in camera that some of the images are some odd small JPEG due to a setting

also, include the results from the following (this will include some of the points above):

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

All in a new, not two year old posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines