Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Export Presets and Copyright Presets

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic on Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

I had to restore my catalogue file and I have run into quite a number of issues. One issue is all my export presets are gond. I had a series of export presets for certain sizes, some with copyright info and some without.

I have all the older catalogues backed up. How do I find the correct presets and restore them?

Thank you for any advice!

Regards,

J. Ross

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you storing presets with catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what is meant by "with catalog," so I am not sure. When I unzip the catalog files from the backup this is what I get:

Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11 Previews.lrdata - 1.3 GB
Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11.lrcat-wal  - 7.3 MB
Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11.lrcat - 1.34 GB

I don't know what all that means, but there it is.

Thanks for your interest!

J. Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still waiting for a complete answer to this issue. I am hoping somebody can help me with this. If not, can someone explain how to contact Adobe directly for a complete answer?

HERE IS THE ISSUE

LR Classic on Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

I had to restore my catalogue file and I have run into quite a number of issues. One issue is all my export presets are gone. I had a series of export presets for certain sizes, some with copyright info and some without.

When I unzip the catalog files from the backup this is what I get:

Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11 Previews.lrdata - 1.3 GB
Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11.lrcat-wal - 7.3 MB
Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10-v11.lrcat - 1.34 GB

I need to access older catalogues of which I have plenty and unzip them so I can reimport the files. I would like to know what is the name and path of the file that would contain my export presets so I can find it and then install it, i.e. once I find it HOW can I import/restore it?

Thank you for any advice!

Regards,

J. Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presets are not stored inside the catalog, and so they are not restored by restoring from a catalog backup. There are two places where export presets can live, depending on what you have set in the preferences. The default place for these presets is in user/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom, so if you restore your catalog then there is zero reason for these presets to get lost. You can also store presets with the catalog however. In that case there will be a Presets folder inside your catalog folder, but that does not mean the presets will get backed up in a catalog backup. Again, there is also no reason why these presets would get lost if you restore that catalog from a backup.

What may have happened is that you did indeed use 'Store presets with this catalog', but this got reset and so Lightroom is now looking for presets in the default location (or vice versa).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restored from a backup, but no presets came over. I really don't use a lot of presets except for the export presets which help me tailor size and resoluton for certain creations.

I couldn't find an exact method of restoring the catalog so I found the most recent, non-corrupted catalog, unzipped it, and double clicked the file (as suggested online) and the pictures were returned to their former state with appropriate metadata, but no presets.

BTW - I looked at my settings and it does backup the presets with the catalogue.

At this point, I am just going to re-build the presets for exporting.

Thank you for answering the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey_Ross wrote:

I restored from a backup, but no presets came over.

BTW - I looked at my settings and it does backup the presets with the catalogue.

I repeat once more: Presets are not stored inside the catalog and are not backed up in a catalog backup. What you found in your settings is that the presets are stored with the catalog, which means they are stored inside the catalog folder, not inside the catalog file itself. That is why they are not backed up when you let Lightroom backup the catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I understand what you mean and I can see the presets in the folder. So...can I just use the import command on the LR menu to import the presets or can I just move the old presets in to the new folder location and LR will "discover them"?

As a matter of "best practices" should I uncheck the "store presets with cataloguue" option? What change would that make?

Thanks again for your efforts!

j. Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I store the presets in the default location. If you use one catalog on one computer, then I do not see any advantages of storing the presets with the catalog. It does not hurt either. If you move presets in the correct folder, then (re)starting Lightroom is all you need to do to let Lightroom discover them.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I think I have all the information that I need now!

J. Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines