• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from another catalog while preserving keyword links - it can't be done?

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can import photos from another catalog into my main catalog using File > Import From Another Catalog. I can export the keywords from the other catalog using Metadata > Export Keywords and import the keywords into my main catalog using Metadata > Import Keywords. I am then left with the imported photos and the imported keywords but none of the keywords are assigned to any of the imported photos.

It is impossible to preserve the keyword assignments because there is no way to export then import the AgLibraryKeywordImage table in the catalog (SQLite relational database) that implements the many-to-many relationship between keywords and images. If anyone knows of a way to preserve the keyword assignments when importing from another catalog, I would be delighted to hear from you. Thanks.

By the way, the same problem applies to collections.

Bill

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

"File > Import From Another Catalog"  will bring with it keywords attached to photos, but, if you only want a selection of photos (and not every photo) copied to the secondary (existing) catalog [B], you would need to-

-first make the selection in catalog [A],

-and then "File > Export as Catalog" to a transfer Catalog [C],

-Now in catalog [B] "File > Import From Another Catalog" from the transfer [C] catalog

"Export Keywords and ...... Metadata > Import Keywords." Does not keep keywords with f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"File > Import From Another Catalog"  will bring with it keywords attached to photos, but, if you only want a selection of photos (and not every photo) copied to the secondary (existing) catalog [B], you would need to-

-first make the selection in catalog [A],

-and then "File > Export as Catalog" to a transfer Catalog [C],

-Now in catalog [B] "File > Import From Another Catalog" from the transfer [C] catalog

"Export Keywords and ...... Metadata > Import Keywords." Does not keep keywords with files- true. Only the keywords= list is copied. Such as when creating a new empty Catalog, you might want all your keywords available in the new catalog.

You could also select photos and-

[Metadata > Save Metadata to file] in Catalog [A]

[Metadata > Read Metadata  from File] in Catalog [B]-

"the same problem applies to collections."

Collections are merely lists of selected photos in the Library. And keywords assigned to a photo in a Library folder will also show when viewing the same photo in a Collection.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 14.0, Photoshop 26.0, ACR 17.0, Lightroom 8.0, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 15.0.0, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to @Rob_Cullen's correct explanation, importing catalogs works and does what you want, because all of your keywords and collection information and edits are in the catalog file. Importing photos does not work. (Importing a catalog is not the same as importing photos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines