Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Incredibly high CPU on Lightroom Classic

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I have been struggling for a while with the performance of Lightroom Classic on my Macbook. After a while it would always slow down and I had to restart it as the macbook was getting really hot. The performance has been quite bad to be honest, I tried all the tricks and tweaks to optimise it but nothing really worked. 

Now today I was exporting a few files, and the CPU is jumping to over 1.500 % something I have not seen before. Attached screenshots of my system and the CPU. 

Any help is highly appreciated, I've been a Lightroom user for years and my whole workflow is based on this system but it becomes more and more unbearable.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Sys Info

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. MACBook power source

Are you running plugged in or on battery?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3. Things running in LrC that are eating resources

Are any odd options in LrC running. Specifically Face Recognition, Address Lookup, Sync to Cloud.

Is a long (in time to complete) import occuring

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! 

2. I am runnning plugged in. When I am not plugged in I usually don't run lightroom as it consumes so much of my Battery so quickly. 

3. Face Recognition, Address Lookup, Sync to Cloud is all disabled. No Import happening. 

As per 1. here is the info:

Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1 [ 202204181225-f90ebff5 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-DE
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.3.1 [21E258]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2,3GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32.768,0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32.768,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2.157,5 MB (6,5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 40.129,7 MB
Memory cache size: 17,4MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.3 [ 1072 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 216MB / 16383MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 224MB / 32768MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 3584x2240

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/stefandotter/Pictures/2022' - Contemplation/2022' - Contemplation-v11.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/stefandotter/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you just updated to LrC 11.3.1? That version may be buggy for some MAC users, Especially if M1. Some find rolling back helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was exporting a few files, and the CPU is jumping to over 1.500 % something I have not seen before. "

That's normal for export -- LR tries to use about 85 - 90% of your total CPU while exporting. Your computer has 8 cores (16 virtual processors), so Activity Monitor will report a maximum of 1600%.  I have a very similar 2019 Macbook Pro, and CPU is steadily at 1500% during an export.  (Rendering raw photos is very CPU-intensive.)

"After a while it would always slow down and I had to restart it as the macbook was getting really hot."

Many Apple laptops, including the Macbook Pro, are designed to run hot, with noisy fans, when you actually use their CPUs to the fullest (which most apps don't do):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202179 

However, if your Macbook is noticeably slowing down, then it's very possible that the fan vents are clogged with dust or there's something else wrong with the fans.  When the CPUs start truly overheating, Mac OS (and the firmware in the processors) will slow down their clock frequency to let them cool.  The free Intel Power Gadget will tell you quickly whether that's happening on your computer:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/power-gadget.html

If it is, and trying to clear the fan vents doesn't help, take it to Apple to get serviced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As @johnrellis has replied, the high CPU useage, spinning fans and high temperature are normal with later Intel based Mac's. Sadly, the 16-inch 2019 model is an extreme example, and gets horribly noisy with jet engine fans when used with an external monitor.  At 233 pages, this thread on Macrumors indicates the scale of the issue  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2019-16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/  Even running without an external monitor the fans will roar up to max when building previews or exporting images. 

BTW, other than the GPU having 4GB of VRAM, I have the same spec as yourself. However, since I bought the 16-inch M1 Pro MBP I use the 2019 MBP for running Windows apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines