• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to drag folders or photos into LR to import them?

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title suggests, I'm tired of importing photos via the import function in LR, going through a dozen or more folders to get to the photos I want top edit, even though I already have the folder open in Finder/Windows Explorer.

Is there a way to just drag and drop photos/folders into LR?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Yes, it’s totally possible. Have you tried it out?

If you drag images from the Mac or Windows desktop, and drop then onto the Lightroom Classic application window or the application’s icon/shortcut/alias, the Import dialog box should open, already set to the folder containing the images you dragged. I do it all the time. If you don't need to change any of the settings, just click through the Import dialog box and start editing.

There is no way to skip the Import step itself, because what Imp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it’s totally possible. Have you tried it out?

If you drag images from the Mac or Windows desktop, and drop then onto the Lightroom Classic application window or the application’s icon/shortcut/alias, the Import dialog box should open, already set to the folder containing the images you dragged. I do it all the time. If you don't need to change any of the settings, just click through the Import dialog box and start editing.

There is no way to skip the Import step itself, because what Import really means is to catalog the files in the Lightroom Classic database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote, “If you drag images from the Mac or Windows desktop, and drop then onto the Lightroom Classic application window or icon, the Import dialog box should open, already set to the folder containing the images you dragged.”

Is it necessary to have LrC already launched to perform this function?

Is it simpler to search finder/explorer to locate folders or images to import than to do that from the import dialog in LrC?

I have used Lightroom since the beta version prior the launch in 2007 and I have never attempted this option.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes wrote:

Is it necessary to have LrC already launched to perform this function?

Not on the Mac, at least.

It’s just a variation on a standard technique that can be used with any (properly coded) application: Using drag-and-drop as a gestural alternative to the Open or Import command, and it doesn’t require the application to be running. Drag a text document onto the Microsoft Word application icon (or shortcut), Word opens with that document. Drag a JPEG file onto the Photoshop application icon, Photoshop opens with that document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 10, if I drag it to the LR icon on the desktop, it will start LR if necessary. But if I drag it to the icon on the task bar, LR will start, but it won't import the file.

Note that on Mac and Windows, when you drag the photos to the open LR window, LR must be in Library mode, and you must drop the photo in the center pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!

I tried this several times but the wrong way. I tried to drag the folder onto the develop module or on the catalog sidebar.

Works perfectly fine dragging it onto the app icon (Mac), regardless of whether LR is already running or not. Also works in the Library module.

Thanks again! You made my life a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Conrad and John, good to know however I am comfortable with my present workflow.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines