Is there a workaround for terrible Android MTP import experience?

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always found the LRc import process to be pretty smooth, except for my Android phones. For those, it's terrible. I suspect that most of the problem is that the Android MTP protocol is inherently brain dead. But LR seems to struggle with it more than File Explorer or other applications (which are pretty bad themselves). It's unaware of any folder structure on the phone, so you have to slurp in the cesspool of gifs from your social apps along with your photos in DCIM. Plus it seems exquisitely sensitive to any interruption on the phone side, at which point LR stalls and bloats up to fill gigabytes of memory. Even when it works, its excruciatingly slow.

The only workaround I've discovered is to store photos on the phone's SD card, eject that, and import with a USB reader, as for a real camera. But this doesn't work for anything that ends up in internal storage.

Is there a better way, like running an FTP or webDAV server app on the phone?

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try, outside of LrC, using your File Manager, to copy the files to your hard drive, in the folder you want them in. DO NOT MOVE (hazardous). Then in LrC Import using the ADD option.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Makes sense, though honestly I was hoping for something smarter than Explorer, which isn't great with MTP either. Maybe I should try my Linux machine.

I wasn't aware of the Move hazard (which I don't generally use fortunately). What happens?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines