• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keeping high resolution when developng photos with Lightroom

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take all my photos with a Nikon 850 at Fine resolution. When I use the Develop tools in Lightroom to crop, clarify, etc, etc the photos and then want to export the photos, the jpegs are very low resolution. This is presumably because I am working on the thumbnails.

But how do I get a Lightroom-developed photo at the original Fine level of resolution?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

In your original question you said "But how do I get a Lightroom-developed photo at the original Fine level of resolution?". The answer to that question is "Do NOT check the Resize checkbox".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

If RAW have you selected to use embedded previews in LrC?

If RAW have you selected to use smart previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at you post again.

Please post a screenshot of your export screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is your export settings if indeed, you mean 'low resolution' by a lesser number of actual pixels. The PPI (DPI) tag is meaningless. According to Nikon, the max resolution without a crop is 8256 x 5504 (45.4 MP, 3:2). If you were to export without a crop, that's what you'd get. If you crop for less pixels but ask for the max number after the crop, that's what you get.

We really need to see what you've got in your export presets. IF this check box is off, you get all the pixels after the crop:

resize.jpg

The number above (72) is again meaningless. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I've solved the problem after checking with my on-line "guru" Laura Shoe: My export settings had indeed become corrupeted for some reason and were far too low. I have now adjusted them back to what they should have been and the results are much better.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's fine I suppose, but perhaps you could share with us the solution. We tried to help you, it would be nice if you also tried to help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige wrote:

Well, that's fine I suppose, but perhaps you could share with us the solution. We tried to help you, it would be nice if you also tried to help us.

Huh? Didn't he just tell you exactly that? His export settings were set to export a low res version. And so he changed them back to what they should have been. What else do you want to know?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He did NOT say it was his resolution settings that he changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please share the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, everyone, I thought it was clear what I put in my reply. Indeed I changed the quality/resolution and image size settings in the export screen. See the screenshot below. I have exceeded what Laura Shoe recommends in her tutorial video, but the people I sent the photos to are happy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, they were happy with that export?  If you printed it at 300dpi it would only be a 2 2/3 X 3 1/3 inch print 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comment. You are referring I presume to the Resolution setting of 300 pixels per square inch. What value would you suggest? Grateful for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of this export? 

If you want to export a full size image, uncheck Resize to fit, and uncheck Limit file size to under File settings above. (creating a full size image below 500 k is impossible)

PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is a metadata tag that is used to calculate printed dimensions of an image. (digital images don't have physical dimensions, only pixel dimensions)

Pixel dimensions divided by PPI value = Printed dimensions in inches.

So at full size, your 8256 x 5504 image will print at 27.52 x 18.34 inches at 300 PPI.

You can also enter physical dimensions in the Export dialog, Lightroom will do the math for you, and export at the required pixel dimensions.

PPI only affects printing, and is irrelevant for screen viewing. On screen, an image will display according to its pixel dimensions, regardless of the PPI value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am refering to your 1000 X 800 pixel resize criteria.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your original question you said "But how do I get a Lightroom-developed photo at the original Fine level of resolution?". The answer to that question is "Do NOT check the Resize checkbox".

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is absolutely correct. I am afraid that I had not mastered sufficiently the settings for exporting photos. I now inderstand that if I disable the  Resize box and the Limit File Size I obtain a Lightroom modified file with all my changes at the original Fine level. Far too big for normal sharing. But I have done some experimentation with some photos and now understand what I can do. So thanks to you all for commenting and helping me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should add that one point I was concerned about was that my Lightroom develop edits would only work on the previews, and not the basic full file. I now know that that is not correct, and I am very much reassured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines