• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lack of performance on Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I readed a lot of topics in here and watch a ton of youtube videos looking for solve my problem of performance on LR Classic, but without any success.

I will tell a short story to give some context about the origin of the problem (I trully believe isn't a software issue, but hope people in here can help me). In 2012 I builded a desktop PC for gamming and photo editing, the config was an Asus motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V / GEN3, with i7-2700K 3.5GHz, 16Gb RAM 1600Mhz, 2x GTX 670 2048MB (SLI), 2x Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM, SSD INTEL 120GB SATA III and Corsair 650HX. This computer was a rocket since day one. Around 2017 or 2018, I started to editing some videos for a friend and on late 2019, for some reason, Premiere Pro stop working and, digging the internet I found out that was because the generation of my processor. I gave this machine for a friend and bought and notebook with i7-10750H, 32GB RAM 2667Mhz, RTX 2060, SSD M.2 512Gb and a HDD 2Tb.

I told all this for that: this machine never achieved the same performance on LR Classic, it's almost impossible to navigate between photos, doesn't matter if they are on the SSD, HD, NAS Storage or USB. Sometimes, I avance 3 or 4 photos without the LR change on the "big screen" (develop module), happens independent of the number of photos on the catalog, the size of the archive (until 2019, I used a Nikon D90 which produce RAW files around 10mb each, after 2019 change to Nikon D5, 30mb per RAW file).

I try a lot of things like restore LR preference, optimize LR Catalogue, update drivers, Windows, change the thermal paste...
The first thing that happens when I open LR is the cooler go crazy and the processor temperature hit 95º. The curious thing is the usage of all the hardware don't hit 100%, GPU stay between 20-30%, processor between 60-80%, RAM 50%.

Could anyone here give some light about it? I already contact the technicall support of my notebook brand, and nothing (It's a brazilian brand calle Avell, "specialized" on notebooks for creatives professionals), but they analyzed and don't finding anything wrong.

Face recognition, cloud sync, smart preview and others, are off. GPU is set to "Auto"

Thank you soo much

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that happens when I open LR is the cooler go crazy and the processor temperature hit 95º

Does this happen (as I understand it) immediately upon starting LrC and not actually accomplishing any imports, edits, or exports?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The higher temperature is, generally, when exporting files or using to many masks layers.
During the normal editing process, the temperature stay between 75/80 celsius.

This notebook came with a software that controls de cooler and operation mode, and probably because Lightroom uses the GPU, they increase de RPM of the cooler automaticaly.

I don´t understand much about the hardware and architetural, but I think can be something related to the efficient of the power unit or similar, because de performance of the computer, in general, using or not the LrC, don't change. The lack of performance it's only when using DaVinci Resolve, LrC or Photoshop.
It's very weird, because I can put a 4k video to encoding, on DaVinci and keep using the computer without any drowbacks

And, about your other answer, I don't notice any problem when starting the LrC. I can record a short video if it helps, but the loading time of LrC never bothered me.

Thanks so much for the answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache1: 

Final1- RAM:181,0MB, VRAM:1250,0MB, ND5_6879.NEF

Final2- RAM:165,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6878.NEF

Preview3- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6875.NEF

Preview4- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6877.NEF

Final5- RAM:165,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6880.NEF

Preview6- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6884.NEF

Preview7- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6874.NEF

Preview8- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6881.NEF

Preview9- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6876.NEF

Preview10- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6882.NEF

Preview11- RAM:22,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, ND5_6883.NEF

NT- RAM:687,0MB, VRAM:1250,0MB, Combined:1937,0MB

Is LrC so busy upon just starting it? All that VRAM in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The first thing that happens when I open LR is the cooler go crazy and the processor temperature hit 95º. The curious thing is the usage of all the hardware don't hit 100%, GPU stay between 20-30%, processor between 60-80%, RAM 50%."

This can occur when there is a problem with the cooling system, e.g. vents clogged with dust. When the processor starts to overheat, it will reduce the clock speed, significantly slowing down the computer.   So try to vacuum out any dust, and if that doesn't help, take it to a repair shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the answer from @johnrellis , make sure the vents are not blocked by having them up against a wall or furniture. Try using a laptop cooler device as described here.

Also, I think this CPU i7-10750H is quite slow by today's standards, that could also be the cause of the apparent slowness of your LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cooling system is ok, I recently took it to be cleaned and to replaced the thermal paste. I already used a base with cooler, but make no difference, so I trade to a regular support to improve ventilation, despite not having a cooler.

And, although it being a relatively old and slower processor for today standart, it has had these low performance since day one (2020) and, recently, I tested LrC on the desktop that I mention in the post and the performance was infinitely better, even being a 2012 machine.

I really think it could be a design error on the part of the manufacturer, because it's surreal, I see a lot of photographers on YouTube, with older notebooks that have better performance than the one I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cooling system is ok, I recently took it to be cleaned and to replaced the thermal paste. I already used a base with cooler, but make no difference, so I trade to a regular support to improve ventilation, despite not having a cooler.

By @fer_postou

Since you have already told us that the temperature hits 95°, the cooling system is NOT okay.

I don't know what "trade to a regular support" means.

And, although it being a relatively old and slower processor for today standart, it has had these low performance since day one (2020) and, recently, I tested LrC on the desktop that I mention in the post and the performance was infinitely better, even being a 2012 machine.

Your CPU was not fast in 2020, and of course it hasn't gotten any faster.

(until 2019, I used a Nikon D90 which produce RAW files around 10mb each, after 2019 change to Nikon D5, 30mb per RAW file)

This could be part of the problem, LrC has to work harder and longer with a slow CPU and bigger files, this causes heat build-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol...
I know isn't normal processor hits 95º, but is not that common to happen on my machine, almost just happen on LrC and, I really don't trust on the software that measures it. Because, the moment that I close LrC, the temperature drop as fast as they climb.

Sorry, I'm not used to use english language, when I say "regular base" I tried to say that I using a notebook support without cooler, it's just a piece to elevate de machine resulting on a bigger space between the table and the bottom.

And I tought, on the time that I bought this machine, that i7-10750 was a good processor. But you agree with that if the older desktop dealt very good with my Nikon D90 RAW files, this new notebook needed handling, at least, on the same performance with the same files?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteI know isn't normal processor hits 95º, but is not that common to happen on my machine, almost just happen on LrC and, I really don't trust on the software that measures it. Because, the moment that I close LrC, the temperature drop as fast as they climb.

95° is an indication that the cooling system isn't functioning properly. I don't agree with your explanation that it is "not a problem". Yes, it only happens with LrC because LrC makes heavy use of the CPU and GPU, which causes heat build-up. When you are done using LrC, there is no more heavy use of CPU and GPU and much less heat being generated. By the way, a lot of laptop computers have "throttling" built into the computer so that when it gets hot, it deliberately slows down the computer so it won't overheat, this is very likely part of what you are seeing as slowness.

And I tought, on the time that I bought this machine, that i7-10750 was a good processor. But you agree with that if the older desktop dealt very good with my Nikon D90 RAW files, this new notebook needed handling, at least, on the same performance with the same files?

Your previous processor was a desktop processor, and quite possibly didn't cause the heat buildup that you get in laptops, and you didn't run into the throttling possibility causing slowness in this laptop computer. Also, what about switching to 30MP files? That requires more computer effort to process these, resulting in more heat build-up and more throttling.

I don't think any of your explanations do anything to change my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteI know isn't normal processor hits 95º, but is not that common to happen on my machine, almost just happen on LrC and, I really don't trust on the software that measures it. Because, the moment that I close LrC, the temperature drop as fast as they climb.

95° is an indication that the cooling system isn't functioning properly. I don't agree with your explanation that it is "not a problem". Yes, it only happens with LrC because LrC makes heavy use of the CPU and GPU, which causes heat build-up. When you are done using LrC, there is no more heavy use of CPU and GPU and much less heat being generated. By the way, a lot of laptop computers have "throttling" built into the computer so that when it gets hot, it deliberately slows down the computer so it won't overheat, this is very likely part of what you are seeing as slowness.

Your previous processor was a desktop processor, and quite possibly didn't cause the heat buildup that you get in laptops, and you didn't run into the throttling possibility causing slowness in this laptop computer. Also, what about switching to 30MP files? That requires more computer effort to process these, resulting in more heat build-up and more throttling.

I don't think any of your explanations do anything to change my opinion.

By @dj_paige

Hi, dj_paige.
I see, and I really appreciated your feedback, your informations gave me something to think.
I read something about "throttling" and I concluded that the only solution will be buy a new desktop, right?
Although I can try to clean the cooling system, change the thermal paste and the cooler as well, probably wont solve my problem, since the processor isn't fast enough for the size and resolution of the files I dealling.

And, the other topic that you reply, about difference between desktop and notebook, for this type of work (photo editing) always better choose go on desktop? The air dissipation and the cooling system is very better, so the perfomance will be higher even if isn't a high end hardware?

Thank you so much, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, desktop computers will have better cooling capabilities, and fewer throttling issues, but even in a desktop, the cooling system can fail.

That doesn't mean you should never run LrC on a laptop computer, but laptops can have more heating/cooling problems.

The air dissipation and the cooling system is very better, so the perfomance will be higher even if isn't a high end hardware?

If you are going to get a new computer to use for Lightroom Classic, I would definitely advise high end CPU and GPU hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think is time to start thinking about change the equipment, then.

Is a good think look for some Macbook Pro family or PC desktop always a better choise, since have a better heat dissipation? And a last question: this lack of performance can be caused by energy supply issue? Or probably is caused by heat dissipation and the power of my hardware (CPU and GPU)?

Thank so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cooling system is ok, I recently took it to be cleaned and to replace the thermal paste. It was the first thing I thought: dirt ou blocked cooling system. I formatted, clear everything, replace the thermal paste for one of good quality, but literraly don't change a thing. Maybe 1 or 2º cooler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines