Lens profile for Canon RF600mm F4 L IS USM doesn't remove all vignetting

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19044

I recently purchased a Canon super tele RF600mm F4 L IS USM, but the corresponding lens profile in Lightroom Classic doesn't remove all vignetting. Actually it removes vignetting very slightly. Sliding the vignetting slider all the way to 200 improves vignetting removal, but still not enough. I tried the closest possible alternative lens profile, but the Canon EF600mm F4 L IS USM III gave me very similar results.

I tried to manually remove vignetting in Effects panel, but couldn't figure out settings that would work fine in every photo. One workaround is to use for example Canon EF500mm F4 L IS USM II lens profile, since it removes all the vignetting but I find it pretty annoying way, because it can't be done as preset.

Please update the Canon RF600mm F4 L IS USM lens profile so it will be usable.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One workaround is to use for example Canon EF500mm F4 L IS USM II lens profile, since it removes all the vignetting but I find it pretty annoying way, because it can't be done as preset."

You can create a develop preset that applies that lens profile: In the Lens Corrections panel, choose the profile. Then create a preset and check Lens Corrections. 

Then when you import a batch of photos taken with the lens, you can apply the preset to the entire batch, either in the Import window via Apply During Import > Develop Settings, or after import,  using Library's Quick Develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, I didn't even tried that earlier, because I thought it would automatically pick the default lens profile, not the manually chosen one. Although I can't use it in import, since any batch of photos may contain photos taken with or without extender and thus need separate profiles. But at least now I can apply the profile much easier via preset.

Still I wish the default lens profile would work properly as they have done with any previous lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will be leaving this thread stand as it is a perceived issue with the available profile rather than a request for a yet-to-be-supported lens. 

In some cases, the profile information is supplied by the maker and they would need to react here. 

Our Camera Raw team is curious if the efficacy of the profile varies by Focus Length and or Aperture? 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be sure, is the profile maker in this case Canon as they are the manufacturer of the lens? If so, should I contact them and request a fix?

I can't tell for sure if the Focus Length has something to do with the amount of vignetting, but Aperture surely does. As far as I'm concerned every lens vignettes most when wide open (F-number being smallest possible) and when stopping the lens down (increasing the F-number) the vignetting gradually fades away. I've never paid much attention to this, because the lens profile with my previous tele lens (EF500mm F/4L IS USM II) worked perfectly no matter what the Focus Length or the Aperture was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Camera Raw team works with the lens maker. 
I will forward your response to them to add to their findings. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines