Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lens profiles for old lenses

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using a few older Nikon lenses which used to have lens profiles in Lightroom in the past, but now seem to have been removed by Adobe. They probably think that these are not needed anymore or whatever. Does anyone know about a way to get these old profiles back or a repository that stores them? I could of course make new lens profiles myself using the Lens Profile Creator, but I would like to save the time for this, as these profiles already exist(ed). Any comments or hints?

TOPICS
Download and install, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021
Alternatively, a user lens profile may have been created in the past (or downloaded, that another user has created). This would need to be transferred e.g. into a different computer: it would not have been automatically installed along with the software. Next, lens profiles refer to a particular camera model as well as to either Raw or non-Raw. Separately, if such a user lens profile is present it will not have been included in the supplied auto-lens recognition. It can be manually selected; if ...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any lens profiles removed.

Are you aware that most profiles work with raw data only, in your case NEF files?

Which exact version of LrC are you using?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using LR-CC 10.2 (haven't managed to upgrade to 10.3 yet).

Specifically I noticed this for a number of old AF-lenses (before the current AF-S), most notably the 70-180 Micro Nikkor. This lens definitely had a profile I used before which is not available anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I forgot: I work exclusively with raw files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe never removes old lens profiles. Why would they do that? If your lens was ever supported, it should be in this list: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html . If it is not, then you probably do not remember it correctly.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, a user lens profile may have been created in the past (or downloaded, that another user has created). This would need to be transferred e.g. into a different computer: it would not have been automatically installed along with the software.

Next, lens profiles refer to a particular camera model as well as to either Raw or non-Raw.

Separately, if such a user lens profile is present it will not have been included in the supplied auto-lens recognition. It can be manually selected; if not, then it is not in the right place or the current image does not support having that profile applied. Anything other than an Adobe original supplied profile must be saved into the user profiles area: it will not be seen if put into the central folder where the Adobe supplied ones live.

In order to have the lens profile auto-recognised for new imports, two further steps are necessary: the profile must be set as a user-custom assignment via a sample image (from that camera, with that lens) for which this profile has been manually selected; AND the default processing applied to all new imports from that camera, must include "Default" lens profile selection rather than "Auto" lens profile selection. Auto would disregard added user profile assignments, only employing Adobe's built-in lens recognition.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next, lens profiles refer to a particular camera model as well as to either Raw or non-Raw.

I think this is the solution, I didn't knew the lens profile is also tied to a certain camera model. The profile is most likely available for my old camera, but not for the new. I guess that there is no other way of profiling this lens then.

In order to have the lens profile auto-recognised for new imports, two further steps are necessary: the profile must be set as a user-custom assignment via a sample image (from that

By @richardplondon

Thanks for this hints.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lens profile file is relatively easy to alter in a text editor. It may be possible to get this to work for the new camera the same as it did for the old one. What won't equate, would be if the two sensor formats are different (e,g, one APS-C and the other fullframe). Maybe check another lens profile which does work with that new body, to see what exact text your other profile will need to include in order to get recognised. Outcome will either be fine or a failure, but no permanent damage can arise from making the experiment!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These would both be full frame sensors, so I think I will give it a shot when I am at home. Good idea.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On reflection, I am not so certain there is any camera-specificity to the lens profile itself, albeit that does record from which sort of camera and sensor format it was originally generated.

One should be able to manually select the profile regardless, in other words.

But user-overridden default assignments / auto profile recognition definitely are camera-model specific.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines