Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 2, extract preview of lost photos

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am changing from windows to Mac and from Lightroom 2 to Lightroom Classic. I am having trouble trying to extract five lost photos in Windows 10 with Lightroom 2.3.

Using downloaded and extracted ExtractPreviews.lua, in Lightroom, after clicking on Scripts>

ExtractPreviews, there is a pop up message Could not find namespace: AgDataRequest.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thank you for your time.

Marie Hélène

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Also the Jeffrey Friedl plugin only works with Lr v4 or later. http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/preview-extraction

Maybe the best to be done- If Previews exist - is to view the images full screen [F] and take a screen-clip.

Useful screen-clip app - https://getgreenshot.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

"would the Windows snipping tool work as well? and can it be converted to a JPG file?"

The Snipping Tool would work fine. After making the snip, in the tool do the menu command File > Save As, and at the bottom of the save dialog, change Save As Type to JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am having trouble trying to extract five lost photos in Windows 10 with Lightroom 2.3."

That error very much sounds like the ExtractPreviews script isn't compatible with LR 2.3. I've only got old versions going back to LR 3, so I can't test it, but there were large numbers of changes to LR scripting between LR 2 and 3.

You could try running the script after you've run LR 12 and converted the catalog to LR 12 format, but it's possible that the previews for the missing photos won't be included in the converted catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previews changed to a pyramid around then too. 

@Marie Hélène28498396nv3w  Look in the Previews folder. Copy a file out and change the extension to .jpeg and see if it can be previewed. I seem to remember that this could be done right back at the beginning of Lightroom. I mean in the original Lightroom 2 catalog BTW. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Ifinally used the snip tools and saved it with an extension ,jpeg and it worked, 2 of the photos cannot be modified and 2 can. the last I deleted. The two that I can't modify,were taken with a very old phone I think. Now ùi need to learn eto transfer everything to Mac and transfer the images to the new Lightroom Classic. I hope it works. So far I have lost metadata from transfering files by cop^ying and pasting. I will stop that. Now I need to read.

Thanks again.

Marie Hélène

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This guide is an excellent resource for moving LR to a new computer:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/moving-lightroom-free-ebook/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I'll download it and read it to minimize my pitfalls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the Jeffrey Friedl plugin only works with Lr v4 or later. http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/preview-extraction

Maybe the best to be done- If Previews exist - is to view the images full screen [F] and take a screen-clip.

Useful screen-clip app - https://getgreenshot.org/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but would the Windows snipping tool work as well? and can it be converted to a JPG file? If so how?

Regards,

Marie Hélène

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"would the Windows snipping tool work as well? and can it be converted to a JPG file?"

The Snipping Tool would work fine. After making the snip, in the tool do the menu command File > Save As, and at the bottom of the save dialog, change Save As Type to JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, I will try screenshot because I also think it will be lost in convertion to LR 12 or Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines