• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 3 freezing when using import

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whhen attempting to import images from an external USB hard drive Lightroom 3 freezes.

The import bar goes across and Lightroom import about 3 images before freezing.

If I close Lightroom and re-start the import it'll import a few more images and freeze again.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 101 Replies 101
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a solid failure of LR3.0 during Import, but different than all reported here I've found.

I'm Mac OS10.6.4; big machine gobs of RAM and internal HD; 8-bay JBOD for shoot folders; 6TB if images.

.lrcat is 2.82GB

.lrdata is 382.4GB (huge because I work stock with on-line "Find" searches and need the 1:1 Previews made and ready)

On Import of small shoot folders of Canon CR2 from 5D2, the imports typically run smoothly to completion. The Imports are from a shoot folder on the JBOD. No renames. All Canon .CR2 RAW or Hasselblad .fff RAW.

On Import of large batches (several hundred to over a thousand), the actual Import finishes. The Import freezes the app during the making of 1:1 Preveiw files, anywhere in the progress... 150-some, 200-some, etc.. The app must be Force Quit and Restarted.

In all cases to-date, the shoot folder has had all images imported and .xmp files made, but there are no 1:1 Previews from the point of the crash forward.

I've reported this to Adobe as a Bug and it is not stopping me from using LR3.0 as a daily workflow tool (the most important workflow tool these is for me as a working pro photographer), but gives me concern for the integrity of my 148,000 images in the LR3.0 database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>On these photos that LR won't import, what kind of files are they? Do  they

>have XMP already attached?

I was importing a half dozen new .dng files.  The files that were in the catalog were also .dng files.

It ALSO wanted to import several .psd files that never import successfully 'cause they weren't saved

with maximize compatibility.

The files in the catalog were visible in the catalog.  They acted fine, were accessible, and showed no problem behavior.

BUT, for some reason LR wanted to import them again.  Since the existing files wouldn't re-import, I couldn't import the

new files into the folder either 'cause LR kept hanging.  Here's my steps:

Select the parent directory of the directory tree of my raw files (these are all .dng files).  This tree contains 75 directories in a single level, each with anywhere from 300 to approximately 550 files.  I selected synchronize so my new images would be picked up and loaded into the catalog, as well as anything I misfiled and previously forgot to import.

The dialog got to the point where it indicated there were around 20 files to import.  Of these 6 - 7 were new images.  4 were images that already existed in the catalog, 2 in 1 folder, and 1 each in 2 other folders.  The other 9 - 10 were old .psds that never import.

I unchecked the old .psds so it wouldn't squawk and told LR to import the rest.........

Progress bar went to the end and hung.  Eventually, I killed LR and restarted.

To help find the problem, this time I synchronized only the folder where the new images would be imported.  This is/was also the folder where one of the existing images was.  Checked only 1 new image and it imported fine.  Reran the synchronize and checked the rest of the new images, and they

imported fine.  Reran and finally checked the existing file, and LR hung.

Killed LR and went back in.  Did a Relaunch and Optimize.......

Went back in, ran synchronize on a folder, selected an existing file to import, and it hung - so I surmise the optimization didn't do anything.

Killed it again and went back in...  Ran synchronize on the whole tree, got the names of the files that already existed that LR, went to each

folder and REMOVED the offending .dng files from the catalog.

Ran synchronize again, and let LR do the import on the files I'd removed from the catalog, and it worked successfully.......

I'm not sure what's going on in there, and I've never seen this behavior before in any version including v3 Beta2, but for some reason the catalog lost track of 4 of approximately 40K files, in three of 75 folders, and was determined to re-import them during the synchronize.  And, instead of recognizing they were already present, and fixing itself, it hung......  Consistently.  BUT, WHY it lost track of these 4 files I don't know.  They weren't files I was working on when LR hung previously with the "Lightroom has stopped working" popup, so I don't know how or why it lost track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported the same problem on OSX during the beta, and have posted here on the forum with a sample of the app. You said that it was strangely hanging on a DB call. I was looking for the post but alas it's deleted - I guess it's too old and you don't archive long enough.

I am still seeing it in the shipping version, and while it doesn't happen always, it happens always in some specific scenarios. I'll get you a new sample - but in the meantime if you can look through the history, you already have one from me in my name (OSX, MacPro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this post has grown to encompass many different problems associated with import, I am going to begin a new thread.

In the new thread is a workaround for my particular problem.

Michael Tapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael. As one who has been in this pot for a while, I'm interested in

keeping up with the developments. Where is your new thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry..,. meant to mention the thread.

Michael Tapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the NEW import feature that shows the "TO" and the "FROM" and hit import the LR3 program crashes.

The windows window comes up and says an unexpected SNAFU has occurred and has to shut down....and do i want to SEND something to Microsoft-what I want is to send something back to ADOBE. Of all times to be dealing with this kind of a problem....

OMG.....

I upgraded because I was tired of dealing  with the EOS Utility for tethered shooting and that too a while to figure out since the %^&#$  program ships without any kind of manual...

So now, as i am working on WORK, i encounter CRASHES...I should have never uninstalled LR2 untl I was sure the BUGs have been exterminated....

XP-PRO, sp3, 4GBram, ......

This never happened in LR2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help please

I have converted my raw Hasselblad files to DNG. I imported one folder with about 40 images no problem. The dngs are all sitting on a local drive on my machine.  When I went to import another folder of DNG'S I see all the files in the preview window,they all have the check marks the import bar goes quickly but nothing imports. I have to shut down LR3 and restart before I can have access to the import button again. I tried to import some jpegs and they import fine.

camera raw 6.1

LR3

OS 10.58

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have exactly the same problem with files freezing on import.  They appear in the catalog but when i try and import them only about 5 files will load and then it locks up and i have to restart the computer again

Never had any issues with lightroom 2 and found version 2 was heaps faster than the new version.

Was running version 2 on same computer but using XP 64 bit system, just upgraded to windows 7 (64 bit) and purchased version 3 expecting a huge increase in speed but everything is heaps slower now!!!!  frustrating!

My system is Intel core 2 duo E8600 @ 3.33ghz, 8 GB Ram.  Have lightroom software and catelogs loaded on same drive (no space on normal drive C).  Images are loaded via card reader - firewire.  this has worked perfectly before.

Do I seek a refund from Adobe and go back to version 2?  Is there anything i can do to fix this as i process approx 1,000 raw images at a time and this is not acceptable (naturally).

Any assistance appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR2?

NO WAY SNAPPER.

LR3 is lightyears away better than LR2.....it is a bug and they will fix it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Lightroom 3 after using Lightroom 2.6.  Using the old Lightroom 2 catalog files, no problem.  When I tried to import other image files, Lightroom 3 freezes requiring a hard shutdown.  I thought that maybe I didn't wait long enough, so I tried again and let it set for 4 hours.  When I came back, it was still non responsive.  I have been able to get it to give me a list of files to add, but when I tried to select one, it would freeze.  It appears that the Import function is totally broken.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have today had success with importing the dngs created with camera raw

4.6. When I export a dng from LR2 using camera raw 4.6 I am able to import

the files into LR3. Crazy but its the only work around I can find at the

moment. I am looking forward to the fix for this....

Am 29/06/2010 02:57 schrieb "tigerhorn" unter <forums@adobe.com>:

Just installed Lightroom 3 after using Lightroom 2.6.  Using the old Lightroom

2 catalog files, no problem.  When I tried to import other image files,

Lightroom 3 freezes requiring a hard shutdown.  I thought that maybe I didn't

wait long enough, so I tried again and let it set for 4 hours.  When I came

back, it was still non responsive.  I have been able to get it to give me a

list of files to add, but when I tried to select one, it would freeze.  It

appears that the Import function is totally broken.  Anyone have any

suggestions?

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to import two sets of images today - one of about 500 .dng files, the other about 600.

It APPEARS that as long as my catalog is not hitting any corruption or trying to import an image that's already there, it works ok.

For whatever reason, it seems like my problem was somehow related to the synchronize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must ring in with the same complaint/observation. Ever since upgrading to LR3, I have had to restart import routines multiple times if not everytime.

On another note - why can't I see a cursor in this Reply document. That makes editing a real challenge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought 3 and have not imported yet.  I did use the beta and noticed that it seemed to lock when you imported and renamed files at the same time.  Only work around I found was to import the files without renaming.  Then after they are imported rename them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this "feature" myself in my newly-purchased Lightroom 3. I tried to upgrade my LR2 catalog, which apparently worked at first. Then I tried an import, and LR3 suddenly decided to not do anything else. I tried to exit LR3, which then beachballed. Force quit, and suddenly my catalog is entirely corrupt.

Created a new catalog, fresh. Ran an import in Add mode. Went about 95% of the way. Stopped. Same thing -- import halted, and any attempt to close the app corrupts the catalog.

I've lost a bit of work here with all of this, and I am supremely disappointed in Adobe's software at the moment. Locking up a catalog file so that it has to be deleted?? Not swift.

I've logged a bug report with Adobe, but if anyone knows of a workaround for this, I'm all ears!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

G. Sowrey wrote: Same thing -- import halted, and any attempt to close the app corrupts the catalog.

Any possibility you can figure out what file it was trying to import just before it took a dump? If you remove it, can you import? Might have to split the import into two or three groups too. I seem to recall the issue I had was a file that was somehow flaky that LR didn’t like which stopped the import process in its tracks.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now noticed a new problem with the import function...

I had moved some images that were in a folder within another folder in my collection and showed up in Lightroom 3.

I then amalgamated all of the images to the main folder.

Lightroom then couldn't find them and as per Lightroom 3 I chose to tell Lightroom 3 where they were now. This function doesn't work at all and I ended up going in circles until I gave up.

I then decided the best option might be to remove the images Lightroom couldn't find and chose to remove (not delete) them.

Went to the import function to re-import the images and Lightroom can't see them. I've checked with 'My Computer' and they are there but Lightroom now doesn't see them.

I'm now left with about 50  (or so) images that I can't get back into Lightroom 3.

I think I'll go back to using Lightroom 2.7 as (obviously) no one did any checking if Lighroom 3 worked correctly prior to it's launch.

This perhaps the worst product launch ever and I''m not amused one little bit!

And no word from an official Adobe source either; customer service eh?... NOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On July 4, I imported and edited some photos. Upon closing down, Lightroom asked and I granted it permission to back up my catalog-- first time ever. Today, when I tried to import additional photos, the import bar appeared upper left but no actions ensued. The import window didn't appear-- just nothing. I clicked the "X" and received the message that the import was cancelled. This is similar to some other posts here. I deleted the backup, but that didn't help. I created a new catalog and tried to import photos-- no dice. I reinstalled Lightroom-- repair installation without deleting the program-- and restarted my computer (as requested) and now import works fine.

I suspect that something went wrong when Lightroom backed up my catalog. Try reinstalling the program and that may help you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PhotoSteve,

Try reinstalling the program and that may help you as well.

Yes perhaps that will help and I will try it, but your import may be working as a result of the re-boot as well. Please advise iof Import works after a day of normal activity on your computer. Thanks...

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Various problems with the Import function have been documented in these forums since LR 3.0 was released about a month ago. Adobe has certainly taken note and are undoubtedly working hard on the problem.

A few related questions for Adobe staff:

- Does Adobe have enough bug reports and user data to identify the issues?  Should we keep sending more reports in (and spend time developing ways to get around the bugs), or should we be patient while a patch is prepared? I don't mind helping to debug the issue, but don't want to waste my time if Adobe has a handle on it.

- Is there a time frame where we can anticipate a patch?  I recently moved from LR2.6 (which was working great) to 3.0; should I reboot my comuter every time I want to import images (almost daily occurence), or do I go back to LR2.6 until the patch comes out?  i.e. should we expect an answer within a week or so, or is this a month (or more) away?

rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOD that is SO politically correct. I am about to go NUTZ trying to get images in so I can run my business.

Does anyone know how to get back the LR2.6 catalog and program so one might actually be able to import again? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problems it seems are a bit different everytime you import.For instance, right now I am on the fourth attempt to get my images loaded.

1 - imported 3 files

2 - imported 6 files

3 - imported 5 files

4 - right now, the program sat for 5 minutes with no card reader activity or hard drive activity. Error screen finally popped saying x-files could not be read! Imported none.

With a deadline approaching and 145 files to go, I'm beginning to think about forming a class action suit for this negligent release! Has anyone learned anything from those at Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 more cents---

I turned off McAfee suite of spyware, firewall, inet security.....imported the final images, a quantity of about 70 images in just 2 attempts for all. That was a huge improvement and I suppose somehow associated to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - this probably changes everything - again.

Went on to the next card. McAfee still in same state, OFF. All the same slowness and stops!

Decided to shoot some video in the Nikon D3s which takes .avi files. Made 2 short movies. Since LR3 does not have to render anything, looks like the import should go smoothly. After 3 attempts to import either one - I gave up. Won't import at all.

Hey Adobe - ARE YOU OUT THERE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines