• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 4 won't open: Error 0xc000007b

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using lightroom 4 for a while with no problem now it wont open up and error message 0xc0000078 comes up. I have rebbooted reinstalled etc. I installed version 3 and that worked when I upgraded version 3 to 3.6 I had the same problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Good day all,

Based on your suggestions and feedback we have updated our documentation on this issue with some new solutions.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/error-unable-start-correctly-0xc00007b.html

Let us know if this helps, or feel free to post if you have more questions or still are seeing the error.

Thanks!

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 101 Replies 101
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a bit more digging into this - from what I discovered they are the microsoft visual c++ runtime library - and so not specific to Lightroom but used by many windows applications. The problem is that Windows 7 prevents the user from copying an "incorrect" version of these files into the windows directories - it actually does some checks to ensure that this does not happen. Apparently xcopy can subvert these checks - and is likely what the ilivid programmers have used. Microsoft strongly advises against copying the files into the windows directories - see the post here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/ee95cc1f-477e-4b71-bd8e-dbb03dab8e4c

The solution that microsoft recommends in this post is to do what I just did - and to paste into the directory of each application that is having a problem. Even if you download the microsoft official install it will not overwrite the ilivid version - and this is because it is dated more recent than the microsoft one I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Siarljp - thats exactly what I suggested - copy the dlls into the lightroom installation folder.

--

Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CuriousBystander - Thats right I know and I really appreciate you providing the solution - I just thought it might be of interest to people to find out why this is necessary. What worries me a bit with your solution is that basically all other 64 bit applications that you may have installed that rely on the visual c++ runtime libraries should also experience similar issues - so whilst we have a fix for the one application - to fix all - you have to repeat this fix each time per app - and that is explained a little in the link I provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Siarljp- you are right. I happen to have another app that threw the same 0XC exception, and copying these 2 DLLs to its installation folder solved it. So yes, with this approach, one has to repeat this for all troublesome apps.

In fact, before I posted that solution, I tried many times to REPAIR the VC++ redistrib from MSFT. But nothing worked. Your link seems to point to the reason for the failed repair. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your help, unfortunately it still does not work so I will have to run on 32 bit

Thanks for your efforts

David

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was starting to be a very painful issue to address.  I was skeptical, but wow!  It worked immediately and I was able to register and use the software.  (The only remaining question is why Microsoft and Adobe don't know this, but leave that for another day.)  Thanks for an effective fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2012 Nov 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  The two .dll files worked great.  Put them into the file where Lightroom was installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CuriousBystander

Polish your laurels. I have just had the same problem, downloaded your file, had to sort out what 7z files were... and everything hunky-dory.

Incidentally, looking at how this happened to me... is the story similar for others?

A French friend, using free.com as his ISP, has a few Gb of space as user area. He told me that a copy of a CD was there and I should just link to the page and download it. I was offered the option of downloading a magical new sw called ilivid or directly downloading the file. I opted for download and the iLivid software was downloaded as a preliminary anyway. OK, so no big deal, I just uninstalled iLivid afterwards. That was a couple of weeks ago. Today, I went to use LR and bingo the dreaded error message.

This iLivid is truly dangerous!  How can professionals behave like that? From now on, it will not be uninstall but create and use a restore point!  One learns....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2012 Nov 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definetley iLivid!!

On 30 November 2012 12:32, Monsieur Septimus Fry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2012 Dec 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can now confirm that ilivid is causing issues with other 64 bit applications I have installed too - and the dll solution doesn't appear to fix all of them... I'm now seriously contemplating a full windows reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try RESTORE first. This worked for me. I always create a restore point before installing any new programs  after an episode when I DID need to reinstall Windows 7 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have a more permanent fix now -which seems to actually correct the windows/syswow64 visual c++ library files - I followed the instructions here http://www.mpgh.net/forum/186-combat-arms-help/459799-proper-way-fix-msvcr100-dll-msvcr100d-dll-d3dx... - I downloaded the 2 linked microsoft downloads - and first removed the libraries and then reran the install and reinstalled them both.

I also copied the msvcr100.dll file from that was provided bycuriousbystander into the windows/system32 directory - this seems to have solved all of my problems - and avoided a full reinstall as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, iLivid is the freaking culprit - DAMN those guys! And yes, the DLL solution needs to be applied to EVERY Application that is affected by livid creatures. Restore point works IF the restore point is stored, in my case I had accidentally deleted even that. So nothing short of a Windows reinstall seems to be the silver bullet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, the RESTORE option appears to have fixed my problem.I suppose this the price we pay for all those Windows features. Things were simpler in the DOS days.  I wonder if the iLivid disaster affected MACs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

48. CuriousBystander,

Nov 25, 2012 12:12 PM    in reply to Siarljp 

@siarljp

I cannot say where you may find these DLLs, only that they MUST be 64 bit. I had to source one of mine from an existing 64 bit Photoshop CS 5.1 installation, and the other from the Internet.

I have emailed a copy of those DLLs to aztecvision; let's see if that works. In addition, I have also uploaded these DLLs zipped into a shared repository called ge.tt, and you are welcome to download this from here: http://ge.tt/7mU2JJS/v/0?c - feel free to run this through you fav virus checker.

Once you have dowloaded this, extract the DLLs from the zipped file, and then drop them into your LR installation folder. For instance mine is at the following location: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2 - which is where these DLLs are living. Restarted the Lightroom and you should be in business.

Note that the above solution works for other applications on Windows 7 64 bit, that also throws this error: 0xc000007b - so this is the ONLY guaranteed approach to fix it. Microsoft has been completely useless in this regard, as usual too.

Regards//K

--------------------------------------------

OK !!

Thank you for solution... It's work fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CuriousBystander: thank you for debugging this and posting the solution.  I downloaded them from your ge.tt site and pasted them in my C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.3 RC directory and they worked like a charm.  I was nervous to do this, but you seem trustworthy and a virus scanner didn't detect anything.  Besides, I'm already assuming my computer was compromised by iLivid and am no longer using it for anything sensitive.

I still wonder if iLivid was merely incompetent (overwriting a 64 bit binary with 32 bits) or malicious (installing a malicious DLL).  There's no easy way to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chrohrs - you are welcome. by the way, note that another mate here has posted a more likely permanent fix. i havent tried that yet, perhaps you may want to. My fix is localized, in the sense that the same approach will need to be applied to all affected applications, not just Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try another advices.

First, Uninstal Livid, Lightroom and Microsoft .Net framework, later reinstall framework and update it. Reinstall Lightroom. But don't work again. And finally added your suggestion, and usefull.

I can't reinstall all of system...

Thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah bless you CuriousBystander

Ah alass i downloaded the cursed Ilivid.  You tips and download did the trick.   fixed PhotoShop, Lightroom and Corel apint for me.

Thanks again!!

Picturepony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record:

I removed livid from the registry - still not run lr 4.3

clean registry with ccleaner - not run

copy dll-s - run!

Thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David - i sent you the DLLs in my previous email. I am hoping they will pass through your firewall and spam catcher. If not, this email should notify you. Let me know either way

Regards//K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2012 Dec 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problems and could not find the correct version anywhere except in that directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finaly success thank you !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally circumvented the problem with the restore wizard and will try to remember not to install new programs without walking around the block [instead].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which ones? They exist in various versions. I have both X86 and AMD versions in 32 and 64 bits for versions 8.0.50727 – 762, 42, 6195, 4940 and 4053. And for 10.00 I have 40219.325, and for 30319 I have version 1 and 415.

I did several SXS traces on this and another uninfected computer to see if errors were being generated by not finding the correct C++ libraries, but no errors occurred. I did see that the versions called for by LR4 are the AMD64 ones, even though my machine is X86. Does this just mean that the original assemblies were done on an AMD processor? The referenced assemblies were AMD64 8.0.50608.0 (which I do not have on my computer) and AMD64 8.0.50727.4940 which I do have.

Here is a sample:

Begin Activation Context Generation.

Input Parameter:

Flags = 0

ProcessorArchitecture = AMD64

CultureFallBacks = en-US;en

ManifestPath = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2\asneu.dll

AssemblyDirectory = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2\

Application Config File =

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines