• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 "not enough memory" error message

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Lightroom 5 for several months I started to have the message "not enough memory" during the export action. It started to appear ones in a while, then it became more frequent and now it comes in every single photo exported.

I wonder if it is related to the library size as the only thing that changed in my computer since I started to use Lightroom is that I have increased the amount of pictures.

I run Lightroom out of my hard disk and I store the raw files as well as the modified jpg pictures in an external hard disk. Both have enough space and the core memory size has not changed since the beginning. I try not to run any other program at the same time.

I have seen that there are several discussions on this subject but it goes normally to increasing the size of the memory but it doesn’t explain why at the beginning the export was done very quickly and without problem and why the problem increased with the time (and with the size of the library°

Is there a way to manage the library size?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

4 GB RAM is marginal. Is your operating system 32-bit or 64-bit? 59 GB of free disk space could also be marginal. How much total disk space do you have on drive C? I use Windows 7, 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, and I shoot with a Nikon D90. My computer and Lightroom handle my raw images very nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means your computer doesn't have enough memory.

It has nothing to do with library size. It may have something to do with the size of each file (in pixels, not megabytes) that you are exporting.

If you have already tried closing other programs, then you need to get BOTH more memory (preferably so the total memory in your computer is 8GB or more) and a 64-bit operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer but it is the same computer since the begining I have not changed the size of the files. During the first months of using Lightroom I didn't have any problem. and this came more and more often. Something tells me that there is something in Lightroom that increases the use of memory.

Has someone else experience the same problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

How much RAM is installed in that computer?

What camera took the images you are working with?

What is the file size of a typical raw image?

How much free disk space do you have on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 7 with 4096 MB installed RAM, the camera is a Nikon D90 and the raw images are of 10 000 KB. The internal hard disk C: has 59.4 GB free space and the external where the raw and jpg images are stored has 897 GB free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 GB RAM is marginal. Is your operating system 32-bit or 64-bit? 59 GB of free disk space could also be marginal. How much total disk space do you have on drive C? I use Windows 7, 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, and I shoot with a Nikon D90. My computer and Lightroom handle my raw images very nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you I'm going to make an investigation of the memory usage during the use of Lightroom and increase the memory size.

My operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise, The hard disk is divided in two: C: (System) Total 119 GB and D: (Data) Total 158 GB, Free space 30 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say if your operating system was 32bits or 64 bits.

You probably need BOTH 8gb of memory and a 64 bit operating system. If you have 8gb and a 32bit operating system, the problem will not go away.

People with 4GB complain about this problem here in the forums regularly. People with 8GB and 64bit operating system don't have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2014 Nov 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the operating system is 32bits. Thanks for the advise, I think that in a few months I will buy another PC with a better configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a Work Around without changing or revamping my computer.

As I have noticed that the problem came slowly after several months of using Lightroom I suspected that there was something accumulating in the memory space needed for the program. From the left menu bar where I had all of the imported files, I deleted the folders that I'm not using currently; this action didn't erase the files in the hard drive but deleted them from the program's memory.

I noticed that now the program needs less memory space during normal use (developing) and when I do an export, the peak of memory usage that is needed for the operation does not reach the available memory space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only problem with that approach is that, even though you still have all the images that you removed from Lightroom, all the work that you did on those images is gone. All you have is the original image that you started with. There is one exception, and that is if you make sure that you saved changes to XMP. If you did that you're okay. But many users are not aware that that is necessary.

Images really should be kept in the Lightroom catalog. A 32-bit system can only use 3 GB of RAM. You would really see a difference in performance as well as capabilities if you use a 64-bit computer with at least 8 GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tengo una Notebook con windows 7 y 32 bits, 8 Gb de Ram. Me empezo a pasar el problema de la memoria ahora. Hice lo que pusiste y me funciono, pude guardar 3 fotos de una sola vez. Gracias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am currently using a 32bit windows 7 with 2GB of ram and this error of low disk space started upon exporting my second photo from lightroom. Is there any way to fix this ? or do i need to change my operating system and ram ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest effect is to get BOTH a 64bit operating system and at least 8GB memory. If you get just one and not the other, you get little benefit. Right now, you are operating at a bare minimum amount of memory.

You might be able to work around by exporting in smaller batches (or even one image at a time) and by closing all other applications before you launch Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Even u have only just 2 GB of System memory and 32 bit system, this thing can get solved just with a little fast trick.

There is no hard rule to upgrade system memory if u have a little patience.

For more details, Kindly go through the Video below :

How to export pictures in lightroom after getting "Not Enough Memory" Error - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand what the video is trying to show, the trick is to first export your image into a new empty catalog. Then by opening that new catalog, LR uses much less memory due to the catalog being virtually empty except for your one image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for getting in touch so late.

Yes! you are right

LR might get crash sometimes while opening catalog for the first time as least amount of system memory gets missed on that moment. After that error any temp files gets created needs to be deleted from the folder and again the catalog file needs to be reopened and things gonna work fine. It's all about giving a little more time on that situation to get rid of missing those changes for a better picture output by the LR just for that silly memory errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I was wondering if you could help me as well! I am NEW to photoshop and lightroom. I just downloaded lightroom to edit the photos for the photography business I just started, and when I click "import" it says I do not have enough memory, but I have a Mac... So how can I get more memory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Windows 10 64 bit 32 gig memory 1 tb space on drive aloted.  HELP!  I can't use lightroom.

Lightroom 6 CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Windows 10 64 bit 32 gig memory 1 tb space on drive aloted.  HELP!  I can't use lightroom.

Please quote the exact error message you are getting, or provide a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a snippet of the message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't see the message, you can't attach screen captures via e-mail, you must use a web browser to attach the screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to put the snippet in the Adobe forum but it refused to let me. Said I didn’t have permission. The error is number 10 tonight, but yesterday it was number 14. “Some export operations were not performed. Not enough memory (10).”

Ccate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not enough memory" means your computer does not have enough memory to complete the task. How much memory does your computer have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with 8 gig, upped it to 16 when I first got this message, and that didn’t help. So I made it 32 gig on the motherboard. I am saving to a new empty 1Tb external hard drive. I have even added a 16 gig ready boot thumb drive thinking that might help. Help.

Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines