• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom/Camera Raw: Fuji GFX Raw File White Balance Issues - Magenta Tint

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing Fuji GFX RAW files into PS/LR, using ACR, the ACR 'as shot' WB shows a significant +CC offset, and a -K offset, and is not in line with the K or CC values in-camera. This results in an image which is cooler than shot, with a magenta color cast. This is prevalent across the GFX50S and GFX50R, and appears to be an issue with the way ACR is interpreting the WB metadata in the Fuji RAW file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got them attached to the bug. I won't be responding to the DP Review thread - Can you let them know we are looking into it?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk - many thanks for taking interest in this one.

RAW + JPEG here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jp1sdcfwfjj6bhc/AAAmREz8Z22IcroFnp3VFBF6a?dl=0

This is a Fuji GFX in camera aspect ration crop, so you'll need JPEG and RAW in the same folder for ACR to see the JPEG crop and apply it to the RAW file.

Let me know any questions you have - and FWIW this issue appears to extend to other Fuji X Series models as well, so may not be GFX specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Chris, 

Would you be willing to share a file with us Preferebly Raw + JPEG so that I can attach it to the bug report?

FYI, I will be cross-referencing your DP Review Thread as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a Fuji GFX 50S RAF file with calibration chart and it has no WB tint with LR set to 'As Shot.' The colorchecker patches are neutral. The actual WB values will be slightly different due to how Adobe interprets the camera's values, but the onscreen image should be correct.

What do you see with the below RAF file?

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-gfx/GFXhSLI000100NR1.RAF.HTM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris Dodkin, have you found a solution to the WB issue with the GFX 50R? I just bought it and have the issue I just described to Rikk
Appreciate any input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, I'm having sort of the same issue as well. I just bought a GFX 50R. My "auto WB" photos come our with a significant magenta cast and my "daylight WB" are tending toward green.
It is very frustrating. I have read from other professional Landscape Photographers as myself that this is also an issue for them. Can this be fixed anytime soon? it has been a while since these GFX cameras are out in the market

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris - there are no updates at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk - any updates from Adobe? It's been 4 months now - thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, is there any update from Adobe on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk - any updates from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the updated information. I will pass it along. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk - I'm seeing the same behavior if I shoot in 'Daylight' WB set in-camera. When that RAW file is imported into ACR it ends up cooler and with too much magenta every time.

Adobe ACR shows 4650 K +17CC if I set the WB in-camera to Daylight

Adobe ACR shows 5500 K +10CC if I set the WB in ACR to Daylight

The images are visually different, with a cool magenta color cast on the image where daylight WB is set in-camera.

So the WB tags from the camera are either wrong, or the WB tags are being incorrectly mapped in ACR. 

Either way it's a big issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that thread is full to the 150 post limit, so I'll start a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked the EXIF data and the only settings difference I can see is that your file has a White Balance Fine Tune setting and all of the other files without he issue are set to 0, 0.

It's possible the in-camera 'As Shot' WB value isn't being calculated correctly using the 'Fine Tune' values, but is being applied properly to the rendered image data in camera JPEG file.

You can test this by shooting raw+JPEG under the same lighting conditions with the camera's White Balance Fine Tune set to 0, 0 and then a 2nd shot with the below Red -20, Blue +0 settings. Make sure to apply the same in-camera Film Mode setting in ACR's Profile setting. If the raw and JPEG file WB matches in the 0, 0 shot and are different in the -20, 0 shots then that explains what's happening.

DSCF4094.RAF
White Balance Fine Tune:Red -20, Blue +0

GFXRhSLI000100NR1.RAF
White Balance Fine Tune:Red +0, Blue +0

NOTE: I'm still seeing a WB difference between Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 Library and Develop modules with just a Standard Preview built. Once a 1:1 Preview is built the Library module preview matches the Develop module and the rendering in ACR. Why just the Fuji GFX files exhibit this is a mystery. However, it's a separate issue specific to Lightroom that Adobe Engineering needs to investigate.

Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 Library module

STANDARD PREVIEW BUILT                   1:1 PREVIEW BUILT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd - appreciate you trying to help, but you keep going off track, and confusing the issue. Please leave this to Rikk and the team. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I can easily see the WB difference between this JPEG and RAF file pair. Thinking about this it may have something to do with the in-camera crop setting. You mentioned that when a crop is set the camera creates both an RAF file and a JPEG, even when the camera is set to raw only. Perhaps the JPEG created with in-camera crop is applying WB differently.

Here's a GFX 50R raw+JPEG file pair from Imaging Resources. With the As Shot WB and camera profile Provia/Standard applied the WB in the ColorChecker is correct and the same in both the RAF and JPEG file. The only difference here is that an in-camera crop hasn't been applied. There may be some other in-camera settings as well, but I haven't examined them. The color rendering is also near identical with some slight differences in saturation.

Plese let me know if you're seeing something different when viewed on your system with the As Shot WB and camera profile Provia/Standard settings in ACR.

GFXRhSLI000100NR1.JPG
GFXRhSLI000100NR1.RAF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never shoot Adobe RGB for work, only sRGB. So I'm not interested in doing AdobeRGB based comparisons. This may be a specific sRGB issue, so I'm not interested in making the issue 'go away' at the expense of using a different color space.
Just keep in mind when comparing ACR RAF renderings it uses ProPhoto RGB. If a specific area of the image falls outside of sRGB gamut it will look different in the sRGB  JEPG. For the CC Graycard shot using sRGB is OK as long as the WB is set correctly in-camera.

There were no other camera settings applied to the motel image, no custom WB or tint adjustments. No custom settings to the JPEG, as I never use them. The only reason one exists with the Motel shot is that the camera insists on generating JPEGs with the RAW file when you're shooting a cropped camera view.
I believe what you're saying and you should post that raw+JPEG pair as well for examination. Was this an in-camera crop setting or still shot taken with the camera in video mode? It may be an entirely separate issue.

It's interesting that you keep using embedded JPEGs, and see nothing, where as I use the camera generated full resolution JPEG and see differences, and they are always skewed the same way. Small differences are important, minimizing them is not helpful.
Currently the embedded preview is all I have to compare! There may be something different about the camera embedded preview, which is why I am requesting you shoot the controlled raw+JPEG test shot.

I have a fully calibrated monitor, and it get's recalibrated monthly, so I don't believe your monitor profile theory holds water. I see the effect across multiple computers and screen btw.
Chris why so defensive. I said "it can also be caused by an incompatible monitor profile," which is not a theory. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. I didn't say that was  the cause here, which remains undetermined. The fact that you see the same issue across multiple computers indicates it's probably not the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never shoot Adobe RGB for work, only sRGB. So I'm not interested in doing AdobeRGB based comparisons. This may be a specific sRGB issue, so I'm not interested in making the issue 'go away' at the expense of using a different color space.

There were no other camera settings applied to the motel image, no custom WB or tint adjustments. No custom settings to the JPEG, as I never use them. The only reason one exists with the Motel shot is that the camera insists on generating JPEGs with the RAW file when you're shooting a cropped camera view. 

It's interesting that you keep using embedded JPEGs, and see nothing, where as I use the camera generated full resolution JPEG and see differences, and they are always skewed the same way. Small differences are important, minimizing them is not helpful.

I have a fully calibrated monitor, and it get's recalibrated monthly, so I don't believe your monitor profile theory holds water. I see the effect across multiple computers and screen btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm only seeing a 1 unit Tint or Temp difference between your raw and in-camera JPEG, but even the 2 unit difference in your screenshot is very small. I know you mentioned that this is happening with all Adobe camera profiles, but it's important that we compare the same in-camera to ACR settings. To do that you need to set the camera to Adobe RGB and Provia/Standard so that the JPEG has these settings applied to it. We can then set the raw file to Provia Standard camera profile to match the JPEG in-camera rendering. That's what I did in my screenshot showing the Embedded Preview, RAF file, and JPEG export of the RAF file. In my composite shot there is 0 difference in Temp and Tint.

The larger WB differences in the 2nd picture of the motel may be due to other in-camera settings. Many in-camera settings are not read or applied inside ACR/LR, which can cause significant difference in the raw rendering compared to the in-camera JPEG file. These raw to JPEG differences can also be caused by an incompatible monitor profile.

Given these small differences the best way to determine what's happening is to do a controlled test shot of the ColorChecker Grayscale card. Set the camera for Adobe RGB, Provia/Standard picture, Highest Quality Full-Size JPEG, and all other picture style controls set to 0 or OFF. This will most closely match the RAF file rendering inside ACR/LR when it is set to Provia/Standard camera profile. It would also help to set the camera's WB as close as possible to the actual lighting condition. Then post the raw+JPEG file pair to Dropbox for comparison. This will help us both to determine what's wrong and get it "fixed." Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a good example where I'm having to shoot RAW + JPEG in order to do the in-camera pano crop. You can see the ACR version has more magenta, neutrals like the sidewalk go magenta in color for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the full resolution JPEG generated in camera, not the lower resolution embedded JPEG.

When I compare in-camera to ACR, the ACR files requires C2 more magenta correction, based on sampling the white area of the test card on both images.

RAW Conversion

In-Camera JPEG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS and LR use the exact same Adobe Camera Raw plugin. The only difference is that ACR doesn't have LR's Library module and preview capability. It's good I checked this issue inside LR because I can confirm what you're seeing in LR's Library module preview when only standard previews have been built and not 1:1 previews.

In the below screenshots I cannot confirm what you're seeing in the Develop module and JPEG export files. These were opened in PS and compared the values compared in the ColorChecker Grayscale top bar. The posted file is Adobe RGB profile to keep as close as possible to my wide gamut NEC PA272w display profile. The measurements speak for themselves.

Once thing I noticed is that the As Shot WB (5400, 13) is not correct and the image has a distinct blue tint. Using the WB Eydropper on the top Grayscale bar the values are 6150 -4. This is not a huge difference, but incorrect if the camera was properly set for the color meter measured WB. Regardless all three screen shots have the exact same shift including the Embedded Preview created in-camera using your WB settings. So it appears WB was not set correctly in-camera.

Don't get me wrong–I'm not doubting you're seeing this issue on your system. It's just that I can't duplicate it on my Windows 10 system using LR 8.2.1. When I get a chance I'll run the same tests using PS and ACR to see if there's any difference.
EDIT: I have no way of extracting the embedded preview in the RAF file for checking inside PS. It will help if you can reshoot the below ColorChecker with raw + JPEG file format enabled in-camera. Then upload both to Dropbox. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines