• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom cannot import from this catalog. The catalog does not appear to be a valid Lightroom Catalog.

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been posted before in another thread but seems to be a different scenario to mine and with no apparent solution. I am using Lightroom CC Classic for Desktop on my iMac and Macbook (before you ask - yes, I have the most updated and latest versions)

My scenario - I have edited a photoshoot on my Macbook, and exported the folder as a catalog. I then copied that entire folder to a thumb drive, and onto my main editing system's hard drive for use on my iMac. Then, I go into Lr (on my iMac) and "Import from another catalog" and I get this error message. I have checked and the extension on the catalog file is .lrcat, which is what it's supposed to be, yet still get this error message:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 10.55.12.png

I have worked this way many times in the passed with no issues at all (i.e transferring catalogs from one computer to another). But all of a sudden now I can't seem to get this working.

I'm wondering if this is a bug perhaps with the new version of Lr?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

I think I have figured out a workaround. I think it's my Synology NAS that is the problem? Because I tried reversing the scenario, i.e. exporting a catalog from my iMac and then importing it from my Macbook, and it worked fine. Then I tried the first way again, BUT from a different location (i.e. images/cat on local drive and not on my Synology), and it worked fine again. I copied the files to Synology and simply updated folder location in Lr, and it all works fine. Just can't seem to import a c

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are both computers using the same version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please see my description "yes, I have the most updated and latest versions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't like that kind of answer. What is the exact version running on each computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are running this version:

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 12.07.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update, I just thought I would try this the other way around, i.e. reversing it

So I exported a test catalog from my iMac and then Imported it on the Macbook, and it worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only suggestion is to try exporting the catalog again. Maybe something went wrong the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried that, no luck 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's really weird! If you can go one way, and you have the same version on both computers, it should certainly go the other. I have no idea what to suggest. Remember, this is a user to user forum. Perhaps someone else will have the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have figured out a workaround. I think it's my Synology NAS that is the problem? Because I tried reversing the scenario, i.e. exporting a catalog from my iMac and then importing it from my Macbook, and it worked fine. Then I tried the first way again, BUT from a different location (i.e. images/cat on local drive and not on my Synology), and it worked fine again. I copied the files to Synology and simply updated folder location in Lr, and it all works fine. Just can't seem to import a catalog that is sitting on my Synology, for some reason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's my problem. I'm just an old guy working with a single computer that has three internal drives and three external hard drives. I don't have any of the modern stuff. I'm glad you seem to be figuring it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue w/ a Synology NAS (wasn't even searching with that in the title, haha) and moving it to a local directory also solved it.  Weird!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"I just had the same issue w/ a Synology NAS (wasn't even searching with that in the title, haha) and moving it to a local directory also solved it."

LR won't read catalogs stored on network volumes (i.e. NA) - you can't do File > Open Catalog or File > Import From Another Catalog.  When you try to do Import From Another Catalog, you'll get this unhelpful message:

johnrellis_0-1659637753520.png

File > Import From Another Catalog used to work with catalogs stored on a network volumes, but Adobe broke that many years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!! Thank you so much!!  I have been spinning my wheels trying to figure this out!! Dropped the cataloge from my external disk onto my desktop and voila!!  Thank you kindly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still having issues, there are 3 things you can still check to resolve the problem.

1. The Images Are Already Imported
Lightroom tries its best to avoid importing any duplicate files, and for good reason. If you had doubles or even triples of some files, your catalog size would balloon and put more strain on your computer. Not to mention that it would be a complete disaster to organize!

Inside of the Import window, the “Don’t Import Suspected Duplicates” option is checked off by default. This way, Lightroom cannot add duplicate files into your catalog, making it impossible to import them.

If this is your issue, the first plan of attack is to look through your Lightroom Library to locate the file(s) in question. If you can find them, make a note of where they are or move them into a new folder.

If you cannot find your files in the Library, you can uncheck the “Don’t Import Suspected Duplicates” option to allow Lightroom to import doubles. With this option unchecked, you will be able to import your photos once again.

Assuming they were duplicates, of course!

2. The File Type Is Not Supported By Lightroom
A second reason why Lightroom can’t import your photos is that the file type is not currently supported. As Lightroom continues to get improvements and updates, new file types are added every few months. However, some are still not compatible with the program.

Lightroom does not support the following file types:

Adobe Illustrator
Nikon scanner NEF
Files with dimensions greater than 65,000 pixels per side or larger than 512 megapixels.
If you are trying to import files that meet any of these criteria, you won’t be able to import them to Lightroom. Unfortunately, there is no way around this. To get the latest updates on supported image formats in Lightroom, see this post.

3. You Are Using The Wrong Import Setting
This third reason is commonly overlooked during the import process, especially if you’ve never used it before. At the top of the import window are 4 different options that read:

Copy As DNG: Copies files to a new location, imports, then converts files to DNG.
Copy: Copies files to a new location, then imports. For example, copy from memory card to computer.
Move: Moves from one location to another on your computer then imports. For example, moving files from folder A to folder B.
Add: Imports photos directly to Lightroom from their current location.

In most cases, importing with any of these methods will work. That is unless there is an issue with where you are trying to copy or move your files to on import.

To give you an example, let’s say I select the Copy option and the source location is a memory card. This means I will take the photos from the memory card, copy them, and then download them to a hard drive before Lightroom imports them.

Now when I select the new save location, I’ll choose an external hard drive. Once everything is set up, I cannot import my photos for some reason.

Well, as it turns out, the hard drive is actually full and doesn’t have room for these new files I want to import. Therefore Lightroom cannot move or import these files, causing an import error.

To fix this issue, I could select a new save location or select the “Add” option to import the image directly from their source location (the memory card). I could also select a different hard drive with more free space.

Although I do not recommend importing your photos from your memory card (as they aren’t backed up to your computer), this hypothetical example gives you an idea of why things may not work. Changing where you actually save your files via the Copy or Move import options will often solve any import problems.

If you are completely out of space on your computer and external hard drives, cloud storage could be a good option to look into instead.

So now you know the common reason why Lightroom can’t import photos and how to fix them. Luckily there is never a catastrophe going on and it usually comes down to a simple setting that needs changing.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@rachel25141376eupk Please read the thread again. This is not about importing images, it's about using the 'Import from Another Catalog' menu. The selected catalog to import from is giving the error (because it's on a NAS). This has nothing to do with unsupported image formats.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines