Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom causes MacOS to lose SMB connection to Synology NAS

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a recent convert to Mac and have started opening my Windows created catalogues on the MacBook. As this is a recently new resubscription, the lrcat files need upgrading.

As the photo filesystem has changed since my last subscription, I'm forcing LR to Synchronise Folders.Within a few minutes this causes Finder to lose the SMB shares, it moves into a state of "Connecting". I can force a restart on Finder and some times it may eventually come back for a few minutes, maybe not...

LR is the only application causing this issue, I've had the MacBook for a month or so and have never experienced this with anything other than Lightroom - anyone seen this before?

FYI I've confgured Max of SMB3 and Min of SMB2 on the NAS.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a Synology and I recently read this: https://mariushosting.com/connection-problem-between-synology-nas-and-macos-catalina/

I'm not sure what OS you are on but thought this areticle might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, i'll certainly keep this in the bag for later. I found a work around, it was less than ideal but worked.

1) Open the LR Catalogues on the Windows PC (wired to the LAN) and generate sync the catalogue with the file system.

2) Move the catalogue over to the Mac (running Monteray)

It seems ok to sync minor changes, it just seems to lose the plot where lots of photos are concerned.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YW - I think that working with both mac and windows platforms adds a level of complexity. I recently upgraded to a 16" M1 mbp and thought there might be an issue with Monterey and M1 working with my Synology. The Time Machine backup took a couple of days to get sorted out but I left it plugged in so it could run uninterrupted and all connections are back online and working as before. If you keep the connections from going to sleep that may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2022 Aug 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

I only need to work for one or two minutes before I have to disconnect my Mac, so all network connections are cut off before I can proceed. I cannot do anything with Lightroom before the server connection closes and Lightroom/macOS Finder "hangs" (like not a serious hang where things need to be force-closed but connection and LR updates "stalls").

Using LRC 11.5 & macOS Monterey 12.5.1. On the Synology NAS, I have set everything up as correctly as possible regarding both SMB & firewall, having traversed almost all pages regarding this on the net. Yet, LRC & SMB are not good friends - everything else works just fine.

I would hate to have current year photos locally present for LRC because that defies the whole idea with NAS. Any experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To elaborate when I say "everything else works just fine",: As an example, I have no problem running and editing 4K video files using Final Cut Pro on the NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up: I was in contact with Synology support, who helped me troubleshoot, yet in the meantime, I accidentally stumbled upon a driver problem with my Kensington USB hub with a built-in LAN port. It was constantly crashing some hidden macOS service in the background. 20-40 times a day. After uninstalling the driver (which is not needed on macOS anyways), the connection now seems fine. I will monitor this and get back to you if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify.

Where are you locating the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GoldingD wrote:

Please clarify.

Where are you locating the catalog?

The catalogue is local. Only the images themselves are on the NAS. If I understand your question correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Your situation might differ from mine. But I have had an extensive support case going together with Synology. In my case, the problem lies in macOS and its handling of files during communication through the SMB file service. Technically, the issue appears to be with the extended attributes of the files being too large, which in turn causes the hanging of the SMB service. This, in turn, makes Lightroom halt, and the SMB connection to the NAS is lost afterwards.

A hotfix is to add "smb2 max read=4194304" to the "/etc/samba/smb.conf" configuration file and restart the SMB service. The Synology engineers did this and told me about it afterwards, so I have no idea how to do it myself. And I was also told that this hotfix might not work correctly further down the road (regarding macOS/Synology DSM updates).

So, to sum up, the problem is macOS and its communication with SMB. I have read other posts online regarding this, and it seems like macOS is prone to similar problems when dealing with this file service. I hope this sheds some more light on the matter.

Cheers,

Massimo

UPDATE 23rd of May 2023:

Another thing I have found to help with SMB-related issues is to turn off Transport Encryption and Server Signing. It is mainly related to speed issues, but I presume this would also help with LrC in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's super helpful. It seems to have solved my problem too! Not sure way this problem didn't appear previously...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had lingering problems when storing my pictures on my Synology NAS over SMB. LR would get stuck at the end of the import phase (wait bar would be stuck). I resolved the problems by switching to AFP - smoother and bug free. I have grown really tired of SMB over the years. Only brought problems.

My configuration: Mac mini 2018 runing macOS Ventura 13.4

Lightroom Classic 12.3 Release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are moving to a protocol that Apple no longer supports. Surely, it would be better to understand/fix the issues that SMB is causing you.

https://www.macworld.com/article/234926/using-afp-to-share-a-mac-drive-its-time-to-change.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been too long and I'm tired of the ping pong between Adobe and Synology. I've already spent a few hours and corrupted a few files - that's too high a cost. AFP works now, that's all I'm asking. Will retry SMB when support for AFP will be dropped entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still have the same issue here and do completely understand your frustration. Only LRC on MacOS is causing these problem. All other apps work just fine. An effective workaround in my configuration is to set maximum and minimum SMB to SMB2 on the Synology NAS. Works perfect, quick, smooth and stable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines