• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.2 not renaming files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this week, Lightroom Classic 10.2 is not renaming images inside of my folders. It's a process I've done forever and now simply isn't working. I have a 1 subfolder with my "selects" organized and sorted. I select all and inside the Library Module, rename the photos. But now, it's skipping files completely or simply not renaming them. What is going on?

I have reinstalled LR, deleted my preferences, created new catalogs which will work for a bit then it starts happening again. The catalogs are 200 images or less. Anyone else have this issue or solved it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS and where are the files you want to rename loacted?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Mac OS Catalina 10.5.7

The files are located in the images folder here is the structure that I have always used. see screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there exclamation point icons on the photos? (Example here in Figure 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and I don't have a question mark. Just the "smart preview" icon in the corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exclamation point icon, not question mark icon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any exclamation marks. - that's what i meant 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use rename when you are using smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really? I've been doing that for a long time. is there an article you can share about that? How would you go about your workflow of using smart previews to renaming your final images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Smart Preview icon appears, Lightroom Classic is using the Smart Preview because it does not have access to the original image. The disk where the file is located has to be attached and available (turn on and working), and the original file has to be present on the disk in the proper folder with the proper name. So the Smart Preview icon indicates Lightroom Classic can't find the photo, and so it can't rename it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so in theory, once I'm done editing my images using smart previews, I could then render the 1:1 preview and rename the files. Would that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. The original file must be available on the hard disk where Lightroom Classic expects it to be. If that disk isn't connected, or the file isn't there, then you can't rename the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well everything is already located on my computer's local hard drive (you can see my file and folder layouts here). I build smart previews to edit my images faster locally. I have been doing it this way for a very long time so to all of a sudden not be able to rename them, seems odd to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... everything is already located on my computer's local hard drive ...

Yes, but is the file of interest actually present in the folder Lightroom Classic thinks it is located in, and named properly? I think not.

I (and many people) do not download attachments. Please include screen captures in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 11.33.12 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the image so you can see it and yes, the files of interest are located & named correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now show us a screen capture of what Lightroom Classic shows for this image; this screen capture needs to clearly show what folder Lightroom Classic thinks the photo is located in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go. Anything else you want to see?

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 8.04.29 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So which photo in the screen capture of MAC Finder is supposed to match this last screen capture?

How does any of this relate to your early comment about how you see the "Smart Preview" icon, which does not appear in your last screen capture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three of the columns have triple dots in the folder/file names which may be important to the situation.  You need to post a screenshot of the whole names even if you have to split the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure, here go. thanks for looking!

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 12.43.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is you have a + sign in Baby + family.  Although that is a legal character in the Mac OS, Lightroom is sometimes picky in the use of these characters.  It may work for certain things in Lightroom but break in some obscure manner such as this.  I avoid all the characters shown in Lightroom preferences.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 10.58.55 AM.jpg

Although you can change it to this but I still use the more severe test above

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.03.37 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i'll rename that folder and check my lightroom preferences. maybe with the latest update, it caused issues. thank you for your thoughtful reply. much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! 

I'm having this issue too - I find that it only renames the selected files that are in view. Tad annoying! So I've just been reducing them to their minimum size so I can fit as many on screen as possible then renaming in batches. Clearly a bug, hopefully it gets fixed on the next update! 

Jess 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It renamed files for about 2 batches and now it simply won't rename anything at all. I've tried getting rid of my prefs thinking something might've been corrupted, but that did nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines