Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H1922]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3,152.8 MB (4.8%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 16,194.9 MB
Memory cache size: 51.1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.4.1 [ 1122 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 358MB / 32767MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 361MB / 65536MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 2688x1680, 2) 3840x2160

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Init State: 5
User Preference: 4

=====================

The Export of JPEG is very slow in 11.4.1 with GPU enabled. The Graphics Card has 8GB memory (10 pics export 135 sec) 
I turned off GPU and it became much faster ( 10 pics export 80 sec).  Is 8GB not enough for GPU use ? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  11.4.1 was extremely slow so I went back to 11.3.1 and Exported the exact same 10 files (exact same settings). So here is the summary result of 10 files export  ( average of 3 repeat tests)
11.4.1  with GPU off :  80 seconds 

11.4.1 with GPU enabled : 135 seconds. (AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB)

11.3.1 with GPU disabled:  12 seconds  

11.3.1 with GPU auto:  12 seconds  

Something seriously wrong with LrC 11.4.1 - at least on my Macbook Pro 2019 (i9, 64GB, 2TB SSD) running Catalina.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good timings, thanks.

There have been a number of complaints about Export being very slow in the latest couple of LR releases.  It's not affecting most people, since we'd see many, many more complaints here.  

I have a similar hardware configuration (15" 2019 Macbook Pro, 32 GB, Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB, 4 TB SSD) on Mac OS 12.4. I've done similar measurements with LR 11.4.1, and I see no change in export performance with GPU off and a modest 11% speed improvement with it on (my graphics chipset has 4 GB, while it seems Adobe recommends at least 8 GB to use the GPU for export).

You're on Mac OS 10.15.7, two major versions old, which means you have a two-year-old graphics driver for the Radeon graphics hardware.  As LR moves to using the GPU for more and more operations, it's becoming much more sensitive to bugs in older graphics drivers, since LR is exercising much different code paths in the drivers than games or other apps.  Even though you've tried turning off the GPU when exporting, perhaps there's a bug in LR that's causing it to still use the GPU for some parts of the Export.

On Windows, you can update the graphics drivers separately from the OS, but that's not the Apple way.  I assume there's a specific reason you haven't updated to Mac OS 12.4?  You might try temporarily updating to Mac OS 12.4 to see if that addresses the issue (and maybe rolling back to 10.15.7).  

You could stay on 11.3.1 for now, wait two months, and see if the next release of LR addresses this issue. It may well not, since Adobe doesn't put much effort into compatibility with problems with specific older graphics drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goor morning and thank you for response!  My 2019 Macbook pro hardware is not very old. In fact it was the highest config Apple offered for Intel when I purchased. I have not upgraded the OS because I never had similar issues in the past with any apps.  That could solve the slowness issue but I also think there is some bug that got introduced in the new codepath (11.4.x) and not enough QA tested by Adobe.  I will stick to 11.3.1 for now.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My 2019 Macbook pro hardware is not very old."

It isn't the the age of the hardware as much as the graphics drivers.  Out-of-date graphics drivers cause a large number of the problems reported in these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the best approach to this in my honest opinion @johnrellis .

It's not your drivers @pkm70527724 or the "old" hardware. there is a bug in LRC.

I am on a Macbook pro m1 Max and export times on the latest 2 versions of LR are ridiculously slow, it takes me 2-3 minutes for 10 image export, which is sloooow. Please don't blame the hardware, please, those are bugs that needs to be fixed.

We are professionals using this software every day for our livelihood and we need it working, and every update (bug fixes) that comes out recently is breaking something. it's as if no one is testing this stuff in the real world, with real pros, that are using LR to its limits.

I am sure many others have this issue, they might just not need it fixed that bad to bother and come here for answers (they will not get unlit the next LRC update at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some numbers I wanted to share, clearly it's not an issue with older hardware.

Lightroom Classic 11.4.1 Export Times

9 A7R4 Images (60 MP) MacOS 12.4 Macbook Pro 16" M1 MAX

Apple M1 Max Graphic Acceleration Enabled

1. Watermarking ON & Resized To 24 MP - 2:45 Min
  2. Regular Original Size - 55 Seconds
  3. Regular Resized To 24 MP - 1:11 Min

Graphic Acceleration Disabled

1. Watermarking ON & Resized To 24 MP - 1:34 Min
  2. Regular Original Size - 20 Seconds
  3. Regular Resized To 24 MP - 18 Seconds

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Please don't blame the hardware, please, those are bugs that needs to be fixed."

I haven't blamed the hardware (I have a similarly configured Macbook). If you read my replies above more carefully:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-4-1-export-extreme... 

I wrote that pkm70527724's performance problems could be caused by bugs in two-year-old graphics drivers (when Use GPU For Export is enabled) and by a possible LR bug (when Use GPU For Export is disabled).

You observe different symptoms than pkm70527724 -- you have bad performance with the GPU enabled but more reasonable performance when not (at least when not exporting watermarks).  You didn't post the times with LR 11.3.1, so we don't know how the 11.4.1 times compare.

You're on Mac OS 12.4, so you have Apple's most recent drivers, but you didn't post the graphics chipset or the amount of graphics memory on your computer either.   LR doesn't enable Use GPU For Export by default if you have less than 8 GB of GPU memory, presumably because performance could suffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Albeit just a couple of years old, this sounds like a graphics card situation. The newer software versions are written to utilize graphic cards for more and more functions. This works great on the latest gear, it can cause slowdowns on machines that are just a few years old.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines