• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 12.1 does not launch on Windows 11.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom Classic for many years so am pretty familiar with how it works, but I am beside myself with frustration today. Though I do use LR mobile and desktop for much of my workflow, I depend upon many of the features in LR Classic that aren't available in the other apps. 

I'm using LR Classic version 12.2.1 on Windows 11.  Last week it stopped launching.  Task Manger shows it running as a background process, but the app doesn't launch.  After following suggustions found in other threads and trying them ALL, the only thing I've found to work consistenly is to open a new windows user account.  It works the first time, but it still refuses to open again after that initial launch.  This is obviously not a managable solution.  Any and all help is appreciated. 

Device Specs:

Device name LH-PersonalDellLaptop
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Device ID EF33E430-072B-4F26-B6B7-C739470E18E0
Product ID 00325-82131-84812-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Windows Specs:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎3/‎13/‎2023
OS build 22621.1413
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22639.1000.0

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the link below.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

If this doesn't help I would suggest a complete and clean reinstallation.

Please follow the steps below:

if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done every one of these steps and Lightroom Classic still does not open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here. Lightroom Classic 12.2.1.1 does not start. I tried the GPU-Trouble shooting - nothing helped.

Photoshop, Lightroom and other Adobe Programs do start. It is only Lightroom Classic that doesn't.

In reinstalled, no change.

I can see the lightroom Classic process in the task manager. However no application (window) is starting/running.

Anybody any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious to know if this continues to be your experience. Mine is same except it seems that after I do a backup, the next launch takes forever again. Like 30-40 mins. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic launched after first installing on new PC build. Now anytime I launch it, it will only open and a background process and no app opens.

I have tried the suggestion found online for setting the priority, but have seen no change. (after I set the background process of Lightroom Clasic to high and restart my system as per some fixes online, SHIFT+ALT clicking the app doesnt seem to "reset preferences" like the fixes suggest and I see no changes in Lightrooms behavior)

Specs:

Windows 11 PC (ryzen 7600, 32g ram...)

Lightroom classic 12.2.1 (issue persists if I intall older version too)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a first step you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the link below.

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com)

If this doesn't help I would suggest a complete and clean reinstallation.

Please follow the steps below:

if you're unable to install the cc desktop app at this stage, use an administrator account (solution 4 here, https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate this detailed response. I tried all the steps mentioned above and still could not get lightroom classic to launch. I did eventually get it to work after manually removing and deleting all adobe, lightroom, and associated files and apps and doing a fresh install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your last link fails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, LrC will not open.  Tried installing earlier version, no luck.  Still shows up running in Task Manager but nothing happens.  Tried removing prefrences as well.  Been working on this for a few hours and nothing is working.  Photoshop opens fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, LrC will not open.  Tried installing earlier version, no luck.  Still shows up running in Task Manager but nothing happens.  Tried removing prefrences as well.  Been working on this for a few hours and nothing is working.  Photoshop opens fine.

By @sredline

And, have you attempted logging on to your computer with a different user account, typically the Admin account, then seeing if LrC will work?

if so, see:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior in specific user account | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've joined the "LR won't open" club today apparently... I've tried most of the fixes recommended like reinstalling LR, clearing my preferences when starting, deleting lrcat files etc. and nothing seems to be working. Lightroom will just churn away in the background. After deleting preferences and re-installing I did get a popup about updating my catalog but that window also sat there frozen. I walked away from the PC for about an hour and when I was back I was able to open my existing catalog and LR was running, though extremely sluggishly as it had eaten almost all of my 32gb of RAM. I even upgraded to Windows 11 hoping that would fix things... 

Nothing has changed on my PC prior to this, all of my drivers are current etc. Seeing a number of these posts in the last few days though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to this thread https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-v-12-2-1-hangs-at-the...  and follow the link and instructions given in the post marked 'Correct Answer'.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every single step in that guide, nothing is working. I'm able to open LRC via a different user account but "just create a new user account and use that" isn't exactly the fix I'm hoping for. 

I've attached my system info from Lightroom in case you want to take a look. I'm not sure why it says my Windows version is 10, I'm running Windows 11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wait. Like...up to 40 mins. Eventually mine opens. It will the open with no problem on subsequent launches; but the problem seems to reoccur after a backup. No idea why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem started on same date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. 

I'm on the latest Windows 11 build.

Was using it yesterday evening... finished what I was doing... and closed it.

Remembered that I didn't export my last edit... wanted to open Lightroom... but since then... it won't open.

I've tried everything... except reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.

On my last try... I launched it. Kind of forgot about it while I was doing more research on what I could do.

Found this thread... and added my comment above.

More or less 10 minutes after I had launched Lightroom (without ending the task in the task manager) it came back.

After several test now... closing and opening... Lightroom is back to behaving normaly.

So... in my case at least... the solution was patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are now 3-4 threads on this subject all starting within a day or so of each other. The only thread that's indicating a correct answer refers to this lonked Adobe Help document  https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-unexpected-behavior-user-account.html

In particular, you'll need to follow the instructions given regarding Item 4 (Mac) or Item 3 (Windows) "Delete account-specific Adobe cache files.) 

Edited for Windows: Item 4 "Troubleshoot account-specific startup items"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Windows step 3 (delete temp data) and it did NOT help.

However I experience the same behaviour. LR classic does start if you give it very very much time.

So what is the issue? Anybody any help?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Windows step 3 (delete temp data) and it did NOT help.

However I experience the same behaviour. LR classic does start if you give it very very much time.

So what is the issue? Anybody any help?

Thanks.

By @JB_FFM

Did you look at the other solutions in the linked document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I've done them all multiple times. Seems to launch eventually after waiting about 30 mins. It will the launch normally on subsequent attempts, but after doing  a backup, it starts all over with having to wait a crazy amount of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah if I leave it running in task manager it eventually fires up (like 30 min later) but is very slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine also started after around 30 minutes and is performing stable and reasonanly fast.  Have not doen a back-up yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe similar issue here, it just took a really long while (double digits minutes) and then eventually opened.

After 2 days it fixed itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines