• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 crashing graphics driver

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 this morning and have been working on edits to photos all afternoon. Three times now it appears that the graphic card (or driver) has restarted when doing various activities in LR. Both my screens go black for 2 seconds, then the displays come back, but Lightroom is non-responsive and can't be closed. Photoshop, if open, seems to be OK, but other programs display strange graphics - overlapping graphs in one of them. I have to restart the PC (Windows 10) and the restart screen tells me that a hidden window is preventing a restart and I have to over-ride that.

On restart, LR is OK again until the next crash. I have the "use graphics card" preference set to Auto.

This has only occured since upgrading to the latest release.

Steve

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your graphics card driver probably needs an update.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the latest Nvidia studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share this portion from LrC /Help/System Information?

Graphics Processor Info: 
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti (31.0.15.2849)
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached a screen shot of that area. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep an up to date GPU driver. And one not known to be buggy. Not likely a GPU driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Performance). Any better?

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. Or maybe downgrade if the older version wasn't crashing.

This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products. Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If the GPU and display profile isn't causing the problem, see:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gives-error-preview-cache.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have disabled the GPU and so far the system hasn't crashed. I'm sure it is related to the new release though as it didn't happen before this one was installed. And I think someone else just reported the same issue.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products.

Also see: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know way more about this than me, but I struggle with it automatically being a GPU bug if a new release of an App causes a failure that wasn't there before. Disabling the GPU stops the app from causing the failure doesn't it? But I accept what you say!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - I meant to ask - is there a way to revert to the previous version of LR Classic?

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again; newer versions of many Adobe products tax/use the GPU at major releases. Again, Adobe provide a way to disable GPU for this reason.
Let's say for the sake of argument that yes, this is an LR or PS (or fill in the blank), not a GPU bug. What to do? 

File a bug report to Adobe:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Provide as much information about your system and hardware. 

That wasn't done here. 

Disable GPU. Again, very often, this fixes the primary issue. Yes, it slows down some operations, but that's better than a crash or freeze. 

Roll back a version where it is possible this 'bug' isn't an issue (more likely, a feature hasn't been updated to run on a GPU). 

If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions.”

Do none of the above and stick with the issue that keeps you from working; that's really ineffective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I agree - thanks for your help.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here: screen go black, blink twince, crash LR and sometimes all other programs open, juts after update to LR 12.2.1. Before, it was everything running fine... but now I have to restart the PC too many times when using LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines