Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody else have this? any fix? thanks Ramona

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

A workaround I found was to find an old lightroom catalogue (.lrcat) file and open that, it then should open lightroom. Not perfect but seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ramona,

Please refer this article "Assertion failed" update error in Lightroom | Windows and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system are you using? The article should be helpful to resolve issues on Classic CC.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have this problem on Windows 7 using the current Lr Classic (according to the updater, my installation of Lr is up-to-date).

When I launch Lr, the first thing that happens is that it displays a message in a black oval with white type in it saying which catalog it is trying to open. Next, a pop-up appears stating "assertion failed!" and an Ok button. Clicking the button makes the pop=up disappear, but nothing else.

I read and followed the directions in the article for Lr version 5.4. The registry entry for My Pictures is %USERPROFILE%\Pictures, and the corresponding directory exists.

I should note in case it makes a difference, that the location of the catalog Lr is trying to open is not in that location. But it's where it has been for many months, and the trouble only started after I let the Adobe Creative Cloud app update Lr.

Any suggestions would be most welcome; I obviously don't want to lose years of work in Lr by having to start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was notified today that there is a new version of Lr Classic CC. I told the updater to install it. The new version fails the same way the previous version failed.

That plus no responses is a bit disheartening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in exactly the same position and noting I try seems to work.

I will continue to search as 7.3.1 is a bit useless for me at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That's quite a read. Makes me wonder WHY would Adobe check a Microsoft picture folder of all things as approval for one of their premier apps to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround I found was to find an old lightroom catalogue (.lrcat) file and open that, it then should open lightroom. Not perfect but seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Sad to say it didn't work for me. Opening the catalog resulted in the exact same pop-up.

My guess is that different underlying problems cause this uninformative pop-up to be displayed. That would mean that no single workaround is going to work for all of them. That said, your response was a heck of a lot better than anything I've heard through any channel from the software's makers. So far it's just been silence. Not even crickets.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2018 Jan 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me with Lightroom Classic 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem,

windows 10 update seems to have corrupted LR, because all of the LRcat backups fail with the assertion fail.  I have the Pictures folder, and it is reference in the registry correctly.  I suspect that lightroom  is pointing at the wrong place, but can't find it or fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was renaming the offending catalog extension to .lrca-. Seems like that file got corrupted. No big deal because it was old, everything was exported, the client wanted a change and I was able to do it in PhotoShop. Give that a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue starting this morning, but I'm not sure if it was an Adobe update or Windows update that messed me up. I checked my registry and my Pictures folder, removed and reinstalled, both saving preferences and not. I tried creating a new catalog. No help with any of that. Finally I tried turning off Ransomware Protection. Can start LR. Turn it back on, cannot start LR. Turned it off for now. This makes me pretty nervous as ransomeware is truly nasty. I guess I'll end up turning it of when I want to use LR and on again when I finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this while I was trying to attempt to open edited DNG files I was working on in Bridge in Lightroom Classic and it was super annoying: the official Adobe workaround didn't work, changing the names didn't work, updating my computer didn't work nor did restarting it. What did work was deleting the one DNG file that Lightroom kept trying to make a corrupted folder for (which is why it wasn't working in the first place.) I deleted the one persnickety edit (knowing I have the original RAW file elsewhere) and FINALLY Lightroom opened! Hope this ACTUALLY helps anyone with this problem because the "correct" doesn't work for half the people here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried all the previous suggestions as well. The only thing that worked was opening an older .lrcat file. I think the file was corrupted somehow. Luckily, I back up Lightroom every time I use it so I was able to recover most of my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines