Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic + MBP M1 PRO = four performance issues while editing images

New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,
I switched from older Lightroom to LR Classic a week ago and since that I struggle with four issues. Please, any advice would save my life... My config: Apple Studio Display, 14” MBP M1 Pro, 32GB RAM, 1TB Drive, NEF files from Nikon z9, default LR Classic settings.

Issue No. 1) While editing switching between images in develop mode takes to long... one or two second after pressing arrow (for "next") on the keyboard. In older LR version it took no time at all. Sometimes I thing I did not hit arrow key and I press it again. Due  
Issue No. 2) While comparing (pressing divider "\" key or "Y" key on keyboard) edited photo after adjustment to original photo, original image "before" adjustment seems to blue (cold white balance) but there is no blue cast in original version at all (checked by Photoshop). This is, lets say, random bug visible not on all of the pictures - but without any sense. Due this issue it is impossible to compare adjustments done by me.
Issue No. 3) While cropping photos, after confirming the crop, there is always something like really short flash of another edited picture (from the past) - another image will appear in the middle of the cropping process.  It is most of the time while cropping images. Confirmed by another friend of mine. It is disturbing and annoying.
Issue No. 4) While in full screen mode of LR Classic (green dot in the upper left), slider can not be activated by hovering over the sliders without clicking on it. In "no full screen mode" it works, and my process is to hover by mouse over the slider and change value with arrows. In full screen mode it is almost never possible. 

All of these issues are slowing my work and are really annoying. What to do to avoid these issues? How to change LR settings?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
m

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing none of this on my MacBook Pro (M1); I'm wondering if this is related to the Apple Studio Display, its profile, and if you see this if you don't use it for testing. I'm using an external display (SpectraView PA271Q) with the Macbook lid closed most of the time. Do you see the same issues if you only use the MacBook display or if you were to try a different display hooked up?

The other thing to try is logging into a new (Mac) user account and seeing if the issues persist. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same or very similar experience without Studio Display. I use Photography profile (P3-D65) on both (Display and MBP). I work on Studio Display with closed lid on MBP. Worse thing is, that today it takes in LR develop mode more than 10-15s to switch to another image while editing. Absolute garbage. Lagging and inappropriate behavior. I changed display profile to default - no change. And very similar situation with Adobe Bridge. While browsing through big previews of images (pressing arrow key on keyboard), again strange flashes (like small picture inside big one) between images... (see video).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your Lightroom preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Also see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/important-steps-for-manually-resetting-...

Quit Lightroom Classic.

macOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.

Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.

While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic. 

When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn’t see those things while editing in Lightroom Classic 12.3 for a couple hours today on my MacBook Pro with exactly the same specs are yours (14", 32GB unified memory, 1TB storage), so it’s a bit of a puzzle. For about a year and a half now this M1 Pro has been a smooth-running workhorse with Lightroom Classic.

I can typically see a delay of a second or two between images in Develop, but that’s kind of expected, since Develop is always a full quality render from original data, it isn’t allowed to just throw up a preview like in all other modules. Images in Develop can take a little longer to display if not yet in the Camera Raw cache.

One possible difference…what version of macOS are you running? I’m still on macOS 12.6.6 Monterey.

Is full GPU acceleration on in Preferences / Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Conrad, I run last version of Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines