• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic not syncing

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the same external hard drive to store all of my photos and everything is accesable when using windows explorer.

I recently added some photos to my HD just as I have done multiple times. Then go to LC to sync, the sync folder pops up, finds more photos to add then I added, then pulls up the import window.  It then cycles through all of the photos and works it way down to zero and doesn't add anything.

Please help. 

This has been happening for a few weeks, at this point I am willing to dump everything and restart.

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple of things to consider. First of all, the images must be in a collection that has been marked to be synchronized. And secondly, it is only possible to synchronize a single catalog. If you are trying to synchronize from a 2nd/different catalog it will not be possible to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I should have specified that I am attempting to sync a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in the illustration that you have provided there is no checkmark on the left-hand side of each folder to check to Mark for synchronization. Also, it appears to me that you are looking at folders. You cannot synchronize folders, you must create collections and share the collections.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 104942.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All available boxes are checked.  The boxes that are unchecked are greyed out.  Would you be able to see me an example?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If instead of using sync, you go to the import screen, what occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It tells me there are no photos or videos fount

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a full screenshot of your import screen, with your source selection (Files) selecting the folder in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to only allow me to import files to my computer or back to my external HD.  How to select LC has a location?

Is it possible to earse it all and start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is an example from my LrC, in this example I have selected the ADD option. In your screenshot the row of options appeared to be missing, was that just a scrennshot issue, or are these options missing?

Image 001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to only allow me to import files to my computer or back to my external HD.  How to select LC has a location?

Is it possible to earse it all and start over?

By @rockyb32634084

What do you mean by LC?

Oh, do you mean Lightroom Catalog?

The images are not actually in the catalog, the catalog is just a database containing records of where the images are, and what you have modified using the LrC interface.

The images, the photos, can be placed on a hard drive, any connected hard drive, in theory they can be imported to a NAS (but I would not recommended) and in theory a cloud share like your Google (also not recommended) things eventually go wrong with the later two.

They cannot and must not be imported to and used from a flash media like a SD card. Imported from, yes, used at, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

If I am able to get the new files to show up they are greyed out and I cannot select them.  Not it will not even regonize anything.

At this point I think I will just reformat and start from scratch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

/Edited/

Stop, before reading the text below the fold, return to your import screen, and select all photos, instead of new photos. I missed that when first, second, and third looking at your last screenshot. 

from muy example:

2.png

Also, just in case, attempt to import one new photo, source does not matter, destination does matter. And attempt this import selecting Copy. Before clicking on import, or verify the destination. A odd issue exists in LrC where if the previously used destination is no longer valid, import goes wonky. LrC fails to inform you of the problem, and if you select Add instead of Copy, it fails as well, despite the fact that the copy destination should have nothing to do with Add. This occurs when outside of LrC the destination folder previously used gets moved, renamed, or deleted.

3.png

The form of Sync you were previously attempting involves the import process, so anything going wrong in the import screen could be fouling that Sync up.

___________________________________________________________________________________

/edited/ If that fails

So, in that last screenshot of your import screen, despite the check box to show images in subfolders, no images are being shown. 

Sometimes the preference file, this is a file, not the preferences panel, can get corrupted. When this occurs, all sorts of odd behaviors occur. This preference file is first created when you first install LrC. It does not get modified or deleted or rewritten upon LrC updates, upgrades, or re-installs. That is, unless you delete it. When this file gets corrupted it needs to be deleted, then the next time LrC starts, it will get recreated (minus the corruption). This is sometimes called resetting or refreshing. Note that various settings in the preference file may get reset to defaults.

For the how to do this, the following link by the Lightroom Queen is far better than the similar from Adobe:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Yes, this can be seen as a magic panacea. Yes it could be wrong. But if you are thinking of reformatting and starting from scratch, it might save you some work.

Now it is the cold days of winter, some of us reformat, actually repartition are computers and rebuild them on purpose (more might do that in the spring, under spring cleaning) as to eliminate clutter, detritus, malicious files. So you might be in the might as well reformat camp. But, make sure you have a good backup of your images, not just a backup of your catalog. Remember the backup of the catalog does not back up the images.

And as for backups, see:

https://fstoppers.com/business/youre-probably-not-backing-all-your-lightroom-classic-data-526597

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines