• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic still can't handle Nikon Z9 raw files properly

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 2-3months now since Adobe provided support to read Nikon Z9 RAW file in Lightroom but the performance been far off from good. The importing of 9 files been very slow compare to other Nikon camera model, it almost double the time just to import files in. Secondly, the noise level at low ISO have been really bad even after noise reduction. The Nikon jpg file seems to have better noise control. I hope Adobe can provide more updates for Nikon Z9 to have more usable files like all the previous models.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Indeed the Lightroom version looks far better with better detail and the noise in the back is easy to fix in five seconds with the detail sliders. This is just a difference in default amount of noise reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have analysed a number Z9 raw images because of other threads like this and have concluded that there is no difference between this camera and other Z series as well as other similar cameras from Sony and Canon with respect to the rendering in Lightroom. The noise is exactly how you expect it at higher ISOs and represents the actual noise in the image. However, if you compare with in-camera jpegs, the rendering is by default indeed much noisier. What is also abundently clear is that Nikon's noise reduction is extreme and is actually losing you a lot of detail. It is very objectionable (at least to me) . Optimizing the noise reduction in Lightroom (which takes seconds) gives far superior results. You can also make them look the same if you want but you'll lose just as much detail as Nikon's rendering obliterates so it really is a choice. I think what is happening here is that Nikon made their in-camera noise reduction even more aggressive and this is making people think Lightroom is doing something wrong when in fact it is just being honest. Of course running the files through Topaz blows both completely out of the water but that is no surprise as it is much slower to do that.

If you're seeing different results would love to see some examples but best to send them to Adobe as they will use them to fine tune the default settings.

Not sure what is going on with the importing. The files I got went in at the same speed as any other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Z9 raw images cannot be properly edited if there are windows   https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html?fbclid=IwAR3q0PaWHcFKyK...     

Z 9 (*see note)NEFYes14.05.011.0
Note:

(*) Nikon High Efficiency raw compression modes are currently not supported on:

• Windows ARM64 
  • ARMv7 and x86 for Android                                                   
    Note:

Preliminary support means that the image quality and raw format support for the given camera model is not yet finalized and may be updated in a future release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is windows arm64. Not x86_64. Also that is HE*.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem on my side....does not import the raw at all..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ nancycoste

Can you please provide more information? What happens when you try to use Nikon Z9 nef files in Lightroom Classic?

LRC Community guidelines,jpg.JPG

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should be thankful that at least Profile corrections (vignetting removal and lens corrections) are applied by default now. Just saying.

As for the speed, buy faster Nvidia gpu. Default application of camera stuff means it will be quite slow.

(Rawtherapee shows just how small vignetting is, wow and is slower than even Camera Raw!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines